28 German Tourists killed in bus crash in Funchal

wesport

There has been a tragic bus crash in Funchal. Just thinking how many times we have been there on transatlantic cruises. Hearts and prayers go out to all affected. The article states they were German tourists.  Really shocking when you think about the many tours we all take.

Very sad to hear 😟 Accident occurred in Caniço, in the south-eastern part of the island as the bus was travelling to Funchal from its pickup point at Hotel Quinta Splendida in Caniço. Driver lost control in a turn, and the bus left the road, went down a steep incline, and came to rest against a house below. Seventeen women and eleven men lost their lives; the driver and tour guide survived and were taken to a hospital with injuries. Tragic!

De bus raakte door nog onbekende oorzaak van de weg in Caniço, in het zuidoosten van het eiland.

Related image

On some bus tours you are so close to the edge of the road that all you can do is pray and miss the scenery....like going to Mosurette (sp) outside of Barcelona you climb higher than the clouds and there are no guard rails😲

I was very pleased to see that on our tour from the Symphony in Hobart, Tasmania a couple weeks ago, the buses had seatbelts that are required by law to be fastened. The driver announced it at the start of the drive. That was the first time I have been in a large bus with seatbelts anywhere. I was happy.