Hawaii

sawyershane

We are going on the April 10th 2020 Vancouver to Hawaii cruise. Can anyone give me ideas for excursions we can do on our own. Most of the ones on the excursion list is a little expensive and we want to try other things. Any ideas would be great. When we gonna on caribbean cruises I can always manage to find outside tours having trouble with this cruise though.

Thank You

DeeDee

We took the city bus to Kaanapali beach on Maui. Wonderful beach. Great lunch. Shopping for my wife. Cheap to get there and back, but was expensive for lunch (Well worth it) and for beach chairs and umbrella (Also worth it). All in, way less than an excursion and no where near as crowded.

58 minutes ago, Von & John said:

Big Island - We rented a car (in advance), visited Volcano National Park.  We enjoyed the day stopping & touring as we wished...

I second this recommendation.

That is an ideal place for a rental car.  Stop when and where you want, for as long as you like to walk around and enjoy the spectacular views.

None of that "we need to be back on the bus in 10 minutes" nonsense.

Edited by varoo

10 hours ago, sawyershane said:

We are going on the April 10th 2020 Vancouver to Hawaii cruise. Can anyone give me ideas for excursions we can do on our own. Most of the ones on the excursion list is a little expensive and we want to try other things. Any ideas would be great. When we gonna on caribbean cruises I can always manage to find outside tours having trouble with this cruise though.

Thank You

DeeDee

Joint your roll call

Celebrity Eclipse Roll Call - April 10, 2020

Look up Tom Barefoot tours. Lots of options. In Lahina (Maui) go to the Wharf shopping area just across Banyan Tree park neat the tender dock to catch the local bus to Whaler's Village to access Kaanapoli beach. I think the bus used to be free. Get off at' Whaler's Village and walk thru to the beach. The bus stop used to be behind the Wharf. I'm sure anyone there can tell you where to catch the bus.

• Like 1

We went whale watching with the Pacific Whale Foundation in Maui in February, and it was spectacular. 

Also, the prices there were much lower than what they charge for whale watching tours in Alaska.

The height of the Maui whale watching season  is supposed to be January through March as the humpbacks leave to migrate back to Alaska in the spring, although there should still be some whales there in April.

On 4/21/2019 at 6:59 AM, sawyershane said:

Thank You

DeeDee

We've done the Hawaii cruise twice, and both times we rented cars on each island.  

Rollie

We are on our way to Hawaii at this time ..... Vancouver to Hawaii.  Will arrive in Hilo tomorrow and have this tour booked:

Gil & Tina
Big Island Aina Tours

Has good reviews and I booked it on-line and received a quick confirmation back.  They only take 10, but have 2 vehicles so will do 2 tours.  We booked early December and on the first tour, both tours filled I believe.  Will let you know after the tour if you like.   

Also there is a Hoppa on Hoppa off bus tour in Hilo, which I believe goes to many of the sights.  

6 hours ago, QCAZ said:

We are on our way to Hawaii at this time ..... Vancouver to Hawaii.  Will arrive in Hilo tomorrow and have this tour booked:

Gil & Tina
Big Island Aina Tours

Has good reviews and I booked it on-line and received a quick confirmation back.  They only take 10, but have 2 vehicles so will do 2 tours.  We booked early December and on the first tour, both tours filled I believe.  Will let you know after the tour if you like.   

Also there is a Hoppa on Hoppa off bus tour in Hilo, which I believe goes to many of the sights.  

Thank you will definitely look into this as it gets closer.

1 hour ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Definitely rent a car in Oaho and spend a few days before flying home.

We are staying a couple days after and staying at Hale Kona. My brother in law is retired military. So will see some sites there.

Usually we do our own thing. However when we took a Celebrity cruise to Hawaii a few years back, I am so glad we splurged on one ship’s tour because it was the highlight of our whole trip.

It was the Road to Hana excursion in Maui, a full day tour that included lunch from the menu at Hana Ranch. We saw so much fabulous waterfall scenery and had a good driver guide (on a little bus) who stopped frequently for photos at scenic, interesting sites and the famous bridges. I’m not a fan of bus tours, but this never felt rushed. The tour was a clockwise circle returning on the dramatic back side of Haleakala.

It takes a full day to do this, and I wasn’t worried about missing the ship since it was their tour. We were literally on the first tenders off and final tenders back at sunset. Some people rent cars to do it, but the drive has tight curves and requires driver concentration; the return “back road” is isolated and rough, unpaved in places, so rental car companies don’t encourage it and might not rescue you there if you break down - therefore individual drivers tend to turn around and backtrack all the way back to port. 

If they still offer this tour, I highly recommend the splurge.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, QCAZ said:

Gil & Tina
Big Island Aina Tours

I'd  love your thoughts on this excursion when you return.

Mahalo

On 4/22/2019 at 12:57 AM, 39august said:

Look up Tom Barefoot tours. Lots of options. In Lahina (Maui) go to the Wharf shopping area just across Banyan Tree park neat the tender dock to catch the local bus to Whaler's Village to access Kaanapoli beach. I think the bus used to be free. Get off at' Whaler's Village and walk thru to the beach. The bus stop used to be behind the Wharf. I'm sure anyone there can tell you where to catch the bus.

It’s been years since we went there. You just brought back many fond memories on staying on Ka’anapali Beach 😘.

Edited by villauk