Koningsdam lack of internet access

DanL

On now for 22 day voyage. Internet has been out for six of the last 8 days. I addressed it to the captain last night and he said he was unaware of it before talking to some other people a few moments before I spoke to him.

Many guests were upset. It is working now and I hope it keeps working but this is unacceptable for a relatively new ship  especially since I paid a premium price for it.

I did get a refund for the days it was offline but the internet manager seems overwhelmed and unable to get a handle on the problem.

I had trouble getting online late one evening in January. I called the front desk to ask if the internet was out and was told no, it was OK. So I thought it might be my laptop's connection, because I'd been having trouble getting it to work with the ship's system. So I went up to the Crow's Nest and it wasn't working on those computers, either. 

OK, I understand that when you're at sea, the internet may not be working 24/7. But shouldn't someone know if it's working or not??? 

4 minutes ago, cruisen cracker said:

Every time I ask, I was told the system was "challenged".  I will be asking for a partial refund for this very expensive non-service.  It's a shame but a reality that we are very dependent on our internet service, even when on vacation.

I had an issue like that on Princess several years ago. Every time I asked to speak to someone in charge of the internet service, I was told "He's on break." I want a job where I can be on "break" all the time!!!

I'm usually not too bothered about being able to get online all the time, but on that particular cruise, I had a family member in the hospital and I was frustrated that I couldn't check in with my SIL. I guess that's always the way--it breaks down when you need it most.

Sometimes internet outage problems are not the ship's fault and beyond the ship's capability to fix, but that usually occurs in high latitudes, not the Mediterranean.

Edited by catl331

35 minutes ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

We'll be on the Koningsdam in Europe in late July so I'm hoping we'll have better luck. Could anyone give me the scoop on internet packages? Are there different options and is it better to buy something in advance or to wait until we get on the ship to purchase?

They no longer sell packages of minutes. It's unlimited use at three different levels. I forget the exact names, but the lowest and least expensive is social media--facebook etc, but no email websites. The second level is surfing, which will let you surf the net and access email. The third, and most expensive, is streaming. I bought the mid-level package so I could do email and a little other surfing. I don't use the internet a lot when I travel, so I don't know if there are any caps on the amount of data you can have.

I don't remember prices, and when I sailed this winter, I don't think you could buy in advance.

I could not connect on my laptop. I don't know why, but it worked only twice and otherwise would not let me on. Fortunately, I could connect on my phone, so I was able to check email on that. I was in a NS, so I could use their computer, too, and that worked for me when I wanted to write a longer email.

1 hour ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

We'll be on the Koningsdam in Europe in late July so I'm hoping we'll have better luck. Could anyone give me the scoop on internet packages? Are there different options and is it better to buy something in advance or to wait until we get on the ship to purchase?

I believe you can only advance-purchase on Grand World Voyages.  

prices: 

image.png.ac28652e16359b7c1fc5d0ff87361f

Someone just posted on my roll call (Koningsdam) that there is a special for internet at the moment - to see if it is on your cruise, go to Gifts and then internet.   He said it worked out to about $10 a day for the premium package.  We have only purchased on board, and found the middle (surf) package is sufficient for our needs, and it is around $10 a day (if the cruise is over 20 days).  Jacqui (kazu) is on Prinsendam and doing a "Live From" and she mentioned she had purchased the Premium package so her DH could watch soccer on her iPad, but it never worked properly, so she finally cancelled it and went back to the Surf package (after some discussion with the Front Desk).

Edited by Vict0riann

We were on Koningsdam recently, 11 days in Caribbean and then 13 day transatlantic.  We took the 'Surf' package which was usd 199 for the 24 days.  Apart from the last two days (Cartagena to Civitavecchia) the connection was good.  We used Samsung phones enabled for wifi calling, so we were able to make phone calls home without any additional charges, except the wifi.  The call quality was good.

1 hour ago, catl331 said:

I believe you can only advance-purchase on Grand World Voyages.  

It's available for advance purchase for our NS and Koningsdam cruises this fall -- but only for the Premium package.  Since we prefer (and only need) the Surf, we'll wait.  🙂  

Thank you for all the advice! I checked online for my July sailing and it looks like I can repurchase the premier option for my 12 day cruise for $159. Does anyone know if it's cheaper to prepurchase rather than buying after we're onboard? 

Also, any recommendations on how to keep in touch with others in your party while onboard? Is there a HAL app that would allow messages between passengers on board or is that wishful thinking? Since the internet package can only be used by one device at a time, I assume I could connect my phone for a minute to text my husband or teens a quick message to advice them of my whereabouts onboard or where to meet for lunch, etc, but then each of us would need to keep remembering to log in/out. I'm old enough to remember the old post it note method on the cabin doors but wondering if there's a better way to keep in touch. My last cruise was on Celebrity and we had a package that included internet for everyone so we could all have our phones connected to wifi and text each other simultaneously.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the advice! I checked online for my July sailing and it looks like I can repurchase the premier option for my 12 day cruise for $159. Does anyone know if it's cheaper to prepurchase rather than buying after we're onboard? 

Also, any recommendations on how to keep in touch with others in your party while onboard? Is there a HAL app that would allow messages between passengers on board or is that wishful thinking? Since the internet package can only be used by one device at a time, I assume I could connect my phone for a minute to text my husband or teens a quick message to advice them of my whereabouts onboard or where to meet for lunch, etc, but then each of us would need to keep remembering to log in/out. I'm old enough to remember the old post it note method on the cabin doors but wondering if there's a better way to keep in touch. My last cruise was on Celebrity and we had a package that included internet for everyone so we could all have our phones connected to wifi and text each other simultaneously.

On the ship’s “Navigator” (intranet) you download when you get on board, you will see in the top left hand corner,I think it is, a little cloud - it is the Chat button. You can contact anyone on board with it. That’s the easiest way to keep in touch. The only thing it doesn’t do is make a sound to alert the person you are contacting so they have to remember to check occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

On the ship’s “Navigator” (intranet) you download when you get on board, you will see in the top left hand corner,I think it is, a little cloud - it is the Chat button. You can contact anyone on board with it. That’s the easiest way to keep in touch. The only thing it doesn’t do is make a sound to alert the person you are contacting so they have to remember to check occasionally.

So I don't have to use the post it notes! Brilliant. Thank you so much for letting me know. 

I just got a credit for the days without internet service.  Went to the desk on deck 12.  Very easy but it looks like if you don't ask for it, you won't get it.

We use  12 channel Cobra 2-way phones on board and while in port.  $39 for the set at Best Buy.  They work great.

Edited by cruisen cracker

49 minutes ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

Since the internet package can only be used by one device at a time, ...

That's true for the paid inTERnet, but to message between passengers you only need the free inTRAnet (ship's LAN), which everyone can be connected to simultaneously. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

If you look at post #8 {above} you will see that a 12 day Premium package is listed at $199.99, so it is a reduced price if you pre purchase.  Remember that if you decide to pre purchase then you will have to pay in advance for it, even if you have OBC due to you.

Edited by VMax1700
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2019 at 2:05 PM, Vict0riann said:

On the ship’s “Navigator” (intranet) you download when you get on board, 

The "Navigator" is not an APP that you download.  It is like a website that you connect to.  You do not have to pay for the use of the Navigator, just login and you can see your room account, dinner menus, your itinerary, daily program, shore excursions, some free sites like NY Times and, naturally HAL's website.   The only item that you pay for is the actual internet service.   3 different plans, Social Media, which is just that, nothing else. Surf Plan, which allows everything except VOIP services (like Skype) and streaming video like You Tube.  

• Thanks 1

We were on the 22 TA as well. The service was terrible. As stated many days without service. This is a deal breaker for me. Not sure I would sail HA again based partly on that factor.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 7:11 PM, TAD2005 said:

The "Navigator" is not an APP that you download. 

Since mid-February there is an actual app that you can download, but it is not necessary. I don't know what if any advantage it has over just using a browser.

Edited by catl331

On 4/25/2019 at 12:55 PM, VMax1700 said:

If you look at post #8 {above} you will see that a 12 day Premium package is listed at $199.99, so it is a reduced price if you pre purchase.  Remember that if you decide to pre purchase then you will have to pay in advance for it, even if you have OBC due to you.

Since the $159.99 price seems to be less than in post #8, does that mean it’s a sale? Or, is it always cheaper if pay for it advance?

9 hours ago, SLOTheta said:

Since the $159.99 price seems to be less than in post #8, does that mean it’s a sale? Or, is it always cheaper if pay for it advance?

Could have been a special promo!

If you check what offer is being offered pre cruise and compare it to the prices posted (post #8) above then you will see if it is the same or a special offer.  If it is a special offer then I would grab it.  If the price is the same as listed above, then I would wait until onboard.

On 4/25/2019 at 2:55 PM, suzannecruisecritic said:

I’m going to chime in just to say that IME, the Premier package is not worth the money.

I’m just back from a cruise and this is the 2nd time I’ve bought the package and cancelled it and just gotten the middle package.

Unless you need to stream (and I wish you luck), the surf package takes care of emails, internet, etc and is cheaper than the Premium.  I’d be very tempted to wait until you are on board and buy the middle package, but, that’s just me based on my experiences 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m going to chime in just to say that IME, the Premier package is not worth the money.

I’m just back from a cruise and this is the 2nd time I’ve bought the package and cancelled it and just gotten the middle package.

Unless you need to stream (and I wish you luck), the surf package takes care of emails, internet, etc and is cheaper than the Premium.  I’d be very tempted to wait until you are on board and buy the middle package, but, that’s just me based on my experiences 😉 

I agree with Kazu. I started purchasing the premier package when the unlimited started. I never had a problem with it. However, on my most recent cruises in February I purchased the middle package and it took care of everything I needed so I will continue to save a couple of bucks and stay with the middle package.

This is our first cruise with HAL, in looking online in my booking I only see the Premium Internet Package for $167.99 (13 days) or the one day for $23.99,  no other choices.  How do you find the other packages?  Thanks in advance.