International Driver’s Permit

ROWSE

Greeting,

We are planning on renting a car at Civitavecchia this September to drop off at airport next day.  We will rent from Hertz, and I have read you just need your National Driver’s license to rent from them.  

I wondered if anyone could give me their recent experience with renting cars in Italy.  Did you feel your license was enough or did you get the International Driver’s Permit.  Were any of you pulled over without having it and what was your experience?  

We will just be going between Civitavecchia and the airport area not in to Rome.  Would you get one in this case?

Thank you!

I have an international driving permit (AAA). Have only been stopped in the UK and driver's license sufficed. Not sure about Italy - hopefully Hank will chime-in as he is, imo, quite an expert when it comes to driving around Italy.

The various countries in Europe react differently. We did some research on this last year...Italy is strict on having an IDP...if you do a Google search, you will see the explanations on who and what the rules are.

The car companies don't require the IDP, its law enforcement that will.

Agree with Euro cruiser...a cheap investment. 

Regarding google search, it gave me a few confusing things, that is why I wondered other’s experiences.   The Hertz topic page is especially odd.  One paragraph seems to say United States is exempt from it.   Then another sentence doesn’t.  This is it:

At the time of rental, the driver must present a valid national driver's licence which has been held for at least 1 year. Italian citizens who hold the new European driver's licence, must also show a valid national identity card at the rental counter as proof of their residential address.

An International Driver's Permit (IDP) is required if your national driver's licence is not in Roman script.

An International Driver's Permit (IDP) is also mandatory by law for non-European Union renters except for customers from the following countries who can rent with their national driver's licence and passport: Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Israel, Mexico, New Zealand, South Africa and United States.

The IDP translates the national driver's licence into various languages and is not accepted without the national licence.

Please note that, if stopped by the Police while driving without an IDP, you might incur into a fine and the vehicle may be confiscatedfor 3 months. In this case, Hertz reserves the right to charge you the amount of the non-waivable excess applicable for the vehicle group.

Driver's licences issued by the People's Republic of China/ Japan/ Korea may be accepted provided you present an official Hertz Certification form. Hertz China/ Japan/ Korea will issue this form on Hertz notepaper and will incorporate the Hertz China/ Japan/ Korea Corporate seal. A scanned copy of the original licence will appear on the Certification form. The Certification form is valid until the expiry date of the Driver's Licence. Both the Certification and the original licence (with an International Driving Permit strongly recommended by Police authorities in Europe) MUST be produced at the time of rental.

If you hold a Driver's Licence issued in Vietnam, you need to present the original licence together with an authorised translation issued by the Vietnamese Ministry of Transport. If both documents are presented at time of rental these licences are acceptable worldwide.

An IDP is nothing more than a translation of the key items of your license into the language of the country you'll be driving in.  If you have the unfortunate experience of interacting with the police or other official you'll find that few speak much English.

It is the law, regardless of what the google machine tells you.  "But google said …" will get you exactly nowhere if you get into trouble.  

In the scheme of what you are spending for this trip why would you risk wasting your limited vacation time over $25 and a few minutes of filling out a form (on line or at a AAA office).

This paragraph from your own post didn't stop you in your tracks?

Please note that, if stopped by the Police while driving without an IDP, you might incur into a fine and the vehicle may be confiscated for 3 months. In this case, Hertz reserves the right to charge you the amount of the non-waivable excess applicable for the vehicle group.

Edited by euro cruiser

Only time I have ever gotten an IDP was to rent in Italy.  Rental agency never asked for it, but I was told by others that should I have an issue involving the Polici that it was a necessity.  Guess it was like an insurance policy, good to have, but better to not have to use.

Any time I am going to be driving in Europe, regardless of country, I go to my local AAA and get that IDP.   Just like I always wear my Road ID when I travel - if I have trouble, it can help me out.  I don't count on encountering an English-speaking policeman out in the countryside.  I know I didn't have an English-speaking doctor when I shattered my leg in Montalcino and taken to the hospital in Sienna (I fortunately had someone hiking with us who was fluent in Italian.  BUT, for the 4 nights I had to stay in hospital, it was me and my Italian/English dictionary)...

I have been driving in Italy for over 30 years (when on vacation) and never had to produce the IDP.  In fact, most of the time I did not even have an IDP...although I do know that technically it is required in Italy.  But a few weeks ago we reserved a car from Europcar, and in the fine print of their conditions it did mention that folks with a European Union country license should have an IDP.

So here is the bottom (and very honest) line!  While it is likely that nobody will want to see an IDP, it is actually a requirement in Italy.  Given that obtaining an IDP is pretty easy (just a half hour at your local AAA or CAA office) and the cost is reasonable it makes sense to get the document.  

One other issue.  Many rental car offices will ask to see the Passport of the renter/driver....which they will copy.  

Hank

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

But a few weeks ago we reserved a car from Europcar, and in the fine print of their conditions it did mention that folks with a European Union country license should have an IDP.

Hank

A little correction, Hank.

Should read  "folks without a European Union country license should have an IDP."

Important for us Brits - today I don't need an IDP for Italy, but if (note I used the word "if" rather than "when" :classic_rolleyes:) we leave the EU I'll have to get one for Italy and a lot of other EU countries too.

JB :classic_smile:

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

Should read  "folks without a European Union country license should have an IDP."

Important for us Brits - today I don't need an IDP for Italy, but if (note I used the word "if" rather than "when" :classic_rolleyes:) we leave the EU I'll have to get one for Italy and a lot of other EU countries too.

Thanks for correcting my error.  Wrote that post after a few of those nasty Guinness things  :).

Hank

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Thanks for correcting my error.  Wrote that post after a few of those nasty Guinness things  :).

Hank

Serves you right, Hank, for your addiction to that demon brew :classic_wink:

I have one.  Sometimes it is a little out of date. The best was when the clerk forgot to stamp the date of issue.

I have rented cars multiple times in Europe, Asia, Africa, etc.  Never, not once have I been asked for an IDL at any car rental firm-independent or otherwise.  That is over about 30 years or more of car rentals.

On the flip side, I have never been stopped or had an accident.   I almost always have one for fear of finding out what could happen when I do not have one.  I realize that it is nothing more than a translation....and probably a good money maker for the auto clubs.

23 hours ago, John Bull said:

That's only for a no deal scenario.I got one when we drove back here in March,only 6 quid,just incase.Got a 6 month reprieve now,lol.

4 minutes ago, brian1 said:

That's only for a no deal scenario.I got one when we drove back here in March,only 6 quid,just incase.Got a 6 month reprieve now,lol.

Yes - probably true, Brian.

But so little else will change if we leave with the deals under consideration that I think of it as being the same as not leaving at all :classic_rolleyes:

One correction to your post -  I'm the one who got the reprieve, cos you're the one who's already divi'd-up. :classic_tongue:

18 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Yes - probably true, Brian.

But so little else will change if we leave with the deals under consideration that I think of it as being the same as not leaving at all :classic_rolleyes:

One correction to your post -  I'm the one who got the reprieve, cos you're the one who's already divi'd-up. :classic_tongue:

Lol,yeah I had no choice.Imagine being stuck at the far end of Italy without a driving licence.I couldn't believe how ancient these old permits are.Like a WW2 ration book, lol.

Edited by brian1