NEVER

First, I do love Cruise Critic and have found a lot of helpful information from the postings.

However, I have decided that a cruise line could never pay me enough to work in Guest Services.

It seems to me that if one tiny thing is not 100% perfect a "free" cruise should be given,

or compensation way over and above whatever the tiny issue was. 

This compensation thing is being abused.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am fairly laid back. I have a lot of travel experience. It would take A LOT for me to ask for any sort of compensation. I will bring things to the appropriate person's attention if warranted. Examples:  a backed up commode - room steward/janitorial,  erroneous charge - guest services, under/over cooked steak - wait staff. I understand "stuff happens". As long as there is an honest effort made to correct the problem, I'm satisfied. As I've been typing, I've been trying to think of a situation where I would ask for some type of monetary compensation and I can't think of one. The ones I can think of, I believe the cruise line would offer anyway because it would probably be offered to many, if not all, other guests.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Allaboutsailingrc said:

First, I do love Cruise Critic and have found a lot of helpful information from the postings.

However, I have decided that a cruise line could never pay me enough to work in Guest Services.

It seems to me that if one tiny thing is not 100% perfect a "free" cruise should be given,

or compensation way over and above whatever the tiny issue was. 

This compensation thing is being abused.

The abuse Guest Services has to put up with would certainly keep me away from EVER applying for that position!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, MamaTene said:

The abuse Guest Services has to put up with would certainly keep me away from EVER applying for that position!

That can work both ways, on my last RCI cruise a round of drinks was put on my bill that wasn't mine and I was made to feel like a thief.  I was very polite but insistent and she was not polite  back.  Same happened when a watch was charged to me, they insisted I brought it.

Guest Services anywhere is a position where you will take a lot of abuse and you have to take it with a smile.  I've been threatened with violence by one "gentleman" because I could not change his reservation from a room with 2 queen beds to a room with 1 King bed (fortunately, another gentleman heard and saw it all and intervened).   I had a 20-something kid ask me if I "wanted to take this outside" because could not move his and his parents' room again (did it twice already).  I've been called a liar, I've been called stupid, I've been called incompetent.  I've had people verbally abuse my staff right in front of me (I have no trouble intervening and telling that person that it is not OK for them to speak that way to my staff and I will invite to leave).  I've had people pull the "do you know who I am", the "I'm a lifetime Diamond",  the "I'm paying $2000 a night for this place and I want a view (sorry, that'll cost you another $1000night).  I've had people say they didn't spend $300 at the bar, yet I go to the back and bring out the receipt...  You name it, I've had it.  I've had my patience and good will pushed to the limit many times.  Just like any place, you are going to find good workers and bad workers.   

I had a "guest" last week who wanted his money back because our restaurant was closed for the month and "Expedia didn't tell me that" (well, I showed him that on the Expedia webpage that it actually DID note the closure).  

But, I fortunately get enough guests who are polite and kind and appreciate my and my staff's work that I stick around.  And, I appreciate their kindness when they take the time to mention me or my staff in a review, be it TripAdvisor, Expedia, Groupon, or our hotel's survey.  

Every time I travel, I remind myself of all the nasty people I've dealt with and the situations I've found myself in and to NEVER act rudely or inconsiderately to any staff I encounter.  They have hard enough job dealing with everyone else!

Many of us never drank before we got into Guest Services...  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I have witnessed "tirades" at Guest Services and I was embarrassed.  When the guest making one tirade had vented their spleen and left and the staff member turned to me, I assured her that she had done her best in dealing with this idiot and thanked her for helping me with my minor request.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have witnessed "tirades" at Guest Services and I was embarrassed.  When the guest making one tirade had vented their spleen and left and the staff member turned to me, I assured her that she had done her best in dealing with this idiot and thanked her for helping me with my minor request.

And, those of us in Guest Services appreciate you when you do that.  It does help us "calm down" after dealing with someone who was less than pleasant.   If you are next in line and an agent gets up and excuses himself, don't get angry that they left you standing - it mean he was so shook up that he had to go to the back of house to compose.  I've done that a few times...

• Like 3

Chronic entitled complainers.

Reminds me of a former coworker who, everyday would complain about her job. Multiple times a day, while trying to bring down other coworkers with her. Finally I had enough and asked her why she doesn't leave, and her answer? "I can't find a better job."

Have had many minor issues on cruises (I cruise a lot).  However all of them have been solved quickly and with good cheer, perhaps it is the way I request it,  I always taught my kids you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

one time we were held  over from boarding in Auckland as ship was delayed by bad weather, P&O paid for our extra night’s hotel, our food costs and transfer to ship.  You can’t ask for more than that.

i am constantly amazed and shocked at how some people talk to ship staff, service desk, waiters, bar staff, incredible.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dwhe said:

That can work both ways, on my last RCI cruise a round of drinks was put on my bill that wasn't mine and I was made to feel like a thief.  I was very polite but insistent and she was not polite  back.  Same happened when a watch was charged to me, they insisted I brought it.

Recently on Princess, we had drinks charged to us three times during 19 night cruise, which were included in the drinks package we had. Three times I went to guest services and was made to feel I had to justify myself. Three charges eventually removed but not one apology !

In your case with the watch, I would have insisted on seeing CCTV and certainly escalated the issue to the head of service.

I would suggest the opposite, that every human person should be required to work in the hospitality industry for at least 6 months in their lives.  Restaurant, hotel, airline, car rental, cruise, theme park, doesn't matter.  Retail would almost cover it as well. 

- College - mom and pop restaurant summer server

- Post College - Medieval Times "serving wench" 5 years

Ever since - Nice to Service Workers, embarrassed by unreasonable complainers, will intervene occasionally if it gets too abusive and I realize the person can't defend themselves.

• Like 6

And to see the long, winding lines and the mean, nasty people who demand of these guest services folks to immediately remove all the autotips from their accounts. Now I understand that is the culture of some countries but ...never mind, that is a whole different topic of discussion!

• Like 1

I once worked customer service at a large retail store. While I dealt with lots of complainers, I expected it to be far worse than it really was.

Lots depends on many factors like the demographics, industry, etc. If guest services was dealing with 100% cruise critic people, none of us could handle that job. Not everyone is like the people here though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Recently on Princess, we had drinks charged to us three times during 19 night cruise, which were included in the drinks package we had. Three times I went to guest services and was made to feel I had to justify myself. Three charges eventually removed but not one apology !

In your case with the watch, I would have insisted on seeing CCTV and certainly escalated the issue to the head of service.

Yep I was told I was probably drunk and had brought rounds for other people which was not true.

That's exactly what happened with the watch, CCTV proved it wasn't me.

I know what it's like for guest services having worked Front of House in the NHS for 30 odd years, which is why I am always without exception polite to guest services unless you get someone who will not listen to you, then you have to be polite but insistent, like the time on Crown Princess when the cabin toilet wouldn't flush for 4 days of an 8 day cruise, but that's another story.

When I worked for Starwood (now Marriott), one of our favorite slow-time activities was to read the comments in guest profiles (aka your permanent record of EVERY stay you have made at a Starwood property) put in by employees.  Some pretty bad behavior - throwing a fork at a server, demanding a free stay because the room floor "was slanted",  throwing coffee at a server, jumping up on the Front Desk and refusing to leave (this was mine!!!- had to call the police), extreme verbal abuse in front of guests, hitting spouse in front of guests, multiple stays at different hotels and demanding compensation for the same "issues" (aka, phishing for freebies).    

So, remember, if you do something inappropriate at a hotel (maybe a ship), it DOES go on your permanent record!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

So, remember, if you do something inappropriate at a hotel (maybe a ship), it DOES go on your permanent record!!!

This is a most informative comment.  I have long suspected that those of us who patronize any hotel chain, cruise line, etc. on a regular basis have a dossier.  I have received some surprises from a given property or during a cruise at times that have made me wonder:  "why did they offer that?"  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slidergirl said:

When I worked for Starwood (now Marriott), one of our favorite slow-time activities was to read the comments in guest profiles (aka your permanent record of EVERY stay you have made at a Starwood property) put in by employees.  Some pretty bad behavior - throwing a fork at a server, demanding a free stay because the room floor "was slanted",  throwing coffee at a server, jumping up on the Front Desk and refusing to leave (this was mine!!!- had to call the police), extreme verbal abuse in front of guests, hitting spouse in front of guests, multiple stays at different hotels and demanding compensation for the same "issues" (aka, phishing for freebies).    

Of course, it does but people want to believe that their bad behavior doesn't follow them and that good tippers don't get better treatment.   

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

This is a most informative comment.  I have long suspected that those of us who patronize any hotel chain, cruise line, etc. on a regular basis have a dossier.  I have received some surprises from a given property or during a cruise at times that have made me wonder:  "why did they offer that?"  

It is very much true.  

13 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

It is very much true.  

Maybe that’s why the Hyatt people are still nice to us. We mostly stay on points and only spend a bit on evening snacks but we are always really nice to all the staff, even if something goes wrong, and never get rude with anyone. We’re apparently not on the naughty list and they always greet us like we’re the royal family and they couldn’t wait for us to get there.  That’s all it takes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Maybe that’s why the Hyatt people are still nice to us. We mostly stay on points and only spend a bit on evening snacks but we are always really nice to all the staff, even if something goes wrong, and never get rude with anyone. We’re apparently not on the naughty list and they always greet us like we’re the royal family and they couldn’t wait for us to get there.  That’s all it takes.

Yep which make the reverse true.  Complainers, rude, demanding, bad tippers, filthy, thieves, scammers, all get a note...

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

All very interesting. Maybe that is why I got a huge upgrade in March when I stayed at a Hyatt hotel. I had no idea why the upgrade...from a regular room to a 3 room suite. Nice surprise.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2019 at 8:20 AM, KmomChicago said:

I have put in some positive notes, too.   At *wood, you had the choice of making your comments just local to the hotel of global so all of *wood could see them.   I had one very nice couple stay for a week.  They always made a point of coming by the Front Desk to say "hello" to me.  They were nice to my staff.  I put a global note in that they were very nice to all.  I added that they like Red Wine; hopefully, a few surprise bottles of wine showed up on their next stays to a *wood!!!

• Like 1