Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It looks to be small, exclusive and have easily gontrolled access points and some unique experiences that would certainly lend itself to being a for a fee venue.  Another first at sea.

Princess had a pay venue when we sailed with them over ten years ago, possibly called “the retreat or sanctuary”.  It was so much for the week, and they also sold a few day passes. It wasn’t anything like this though.  They had thick foam pool loungers, bar service and you could use the spa pool. Very basic and simple. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Princess had a pay venue when we sailed with them over ten years ago, possibly called “the retreat or sanctuary”.  

It´s The Sanctuary with Princess. MSC has the Top 19 Exclusive Solarium (which is also for the Aurea Experience but you can pay for it too). NCL has the Vibe Beach Club.

The Retreat is the new suite area with Celebrity Cruises.

steamboats

• Like 1

4 hours ago, longhorn2004 said:

Looks like they are painting the bottom of the ship. So how do they paint the bottom of the ship sitting on blocks?

The exterior hull plates are painted before they are lowered into the dry dock and welded to the rest of the ship. It's also my understanding that each time a ship enters dry dock, the location of the keel blocks is changed so portions of the hull that were covered before are able to be painted. But there is no real way to paint the entire bottom of the ship during a single dry docking.

• Like 1

The purpose for the strange structure is now clear, it is for lifting the dome! I went to take propably the last night photos of the bow without the Aquadome. I was there for 4.5 hours, but nothing happened, maybe they will wait until morning.

2022-11-03 18-28-25-DJI_0808-HDR.jpg

2022-11-03 19-35-44-IMG_0524-HDRe.jpg

2022-11-03 20-08-01-IMG_0605-HDR.jpg

Edited by Eremita85
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Lloyd555 said:

Found another view of the dome & structure

Very cool. Maybe in the next day or so it will be installed. 
She’s come a long way not that long ago when the first section was placed in the drydock to this moment with the last big piece. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

That is absolutely amazing, lifting the whole thing with cranes.  I'd be afraid the glass would crack!

From looking at the photo I don’t think the glass is inserted/installed in the structure.    

11 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

Found another view of the dome & structure. 
📷 Сергей Будзинский

313096034_1749770488736773_5468985258110023081_n.thumb.jpg.e1d2f470bb3db5c1058e842db02a0de8.jpg

11 minutes ago, Eremita85 said:

What do you mean? This is earlier photo where they were installing the panels.

312493218_463748312251284_5333022900662425598_n.jpg

That is a big gaff on my part.  I have not been a frequent follower of this thread.  

Had I seen the photo you just posted I would not had made my comment earlier. I was looking only which Lloyd shared, to which showed a frame structure being lowered by a crane. To me, it appeared to have no glass in it.  

That being said, the image you just shared with me clearly will be lowered onto the ship at some point, with the glass intact.  As I said before, it was my mistake. I guess I should follow this thread more closely as she is getting closer to completion. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

That is a big gaff on my part.  I have not been a frequent follower of this thread.  

Had I seen the photo you just posted I would not had made my comment earlier. I was looking only which Lloyd shared, to which showed a frame structure being lowered by a crane. To me, it appeared to have no glass in it.  

That being said, the image you just shared with me clearly will be lowered onto the ship at some point, with the glass intact.  As I said before, it was my mistake. I guess I should follow this thread more closely as she is getting closer to completion. 

No problem 👍 yes they have the dome itself and the structure for lifting the dome. This looks to be the hardest lifting operation they have ever done. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Hey no worries, nobody has all the answers, it is all speculation at this point.  BTW has anyone heard Bayley give another "exciting announcement"....I keep waiting for it!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eremita85 said:

Some photos from me of the AquaDome installation

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ckj0o5OIfvX/

Great photos. I noticed the IG account has the same name as your user name on CC. I followed to see them quicker. Very interesting to how they did the lift. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Great photos. I noticed the IG account has the same name as your user name on CC. I followed to see them quicker. Very interesting to how they did the lift. 

Thanks. Yes, I usually just use "Eremita" if it's not already taken, otherwise I use "Eremita85".

• Like 2