Out of good vodka!

kjbacon

21 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'm not a vodka drinker, but I find Absolut good for something like a cosmo, if I have one.  And sorry guys, don't want to start a riot, but a martini is made with gin!

After doing some research, I learned that gin is the "traditional" martini.  However, at least in the U.S. there are many more vodka drinkers than gin drinkers and, some of us that prefer vodka can't stand the taste of gin (tastes like a Christmas tree and I do not eat or drink Christmas trees).  

I would guess that there are more vodka martini drinkers in the U.S. than gin drinkers (and for the record, I'm a tequila drinker first, vodka second and Irish whiskey third). 

•  

•  

Noel Coward: "A perfect martini should be made by filling a glass with gin, then waving it in the general direction of Italy." Italy is, of course, the major producer of vermouth, the other ingredient of a traditional martini.  Personally, in this I am a traditionalist.

My wife's one disappointment in Regent's vodka list is the lack of flavored vodkas. They have citron and currant, but she likes things like orange, peach, grapefruit, etc. Her current favorite is cucumber infused vodka. She does like the Chopin espresso vodka, which I believe Regent stocks.

1 hour ago, cAPS lOCK oN said:

My wife's one disappointment in Regent's vodka list is the lack of flavored vodkas. They have citron and currant, but she likes things like orange, peach, grapefruit, etc. Her current favorite is cucumber infused vodka. She does like the Chopin espresso vodka, which I believe Regent stocks.

Regent carries (or used to?) Van Gogh Double Expresso and Dutch Chocolate vodka but I feel the that the espresso and chocolate is too sweet or perhaps the infusion is just too heavy.  I thought that I'd love it but I don't.  Perhaps if I had a mix of both it would make a "mocha" vodka but would have to do something to tone down the sweetness (maybe adding cream or milk to it).

My favorite is a dirty vodka martini, hold the vermouth. I also enjoy a cosmopolitan and a lemon drop martini, whether or not that’s an actual martini. A good margarita is a good thing too!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yes, margaritas are good things, as are any sour/sweet short cocktail--daiquiri, caiparihna, pisco sour, even a whiskey sour.

What is a caiparihhna?

1 hour ago, rcandkc said:

What is a caiparihhna?

Caiparinha.  It's a Brazilian short, sour cocktail made with Cachaca, which is a spirit made from sugarcane (similar to rum I guess, but with an edgier quality almost like tequila in some ways.)  It's a typical "sour", with sugar and lime, but the limes are muddled which makes it a bit different.

I prefer a Pisco Sour to a Caiparinha but they are both quite good.  

vegasdriven - still laughing about your post.  Being smacked in the face with a Christmas tree is exactly how I feel when I drink gin.  The first time I tried gin I was about 23 - at a holiday party.  When I tasted the drink that I was given, I quickly found a plant and "watered it" (poor plant - I likely should not have done that).

Many times I've wondered why gin is so popular in the U.K. (and quite popular in Canada).  My British DH thinks that it is because that is what the Queen drinks.  

On 4/29/2019 at 2:22 AM, Hambagahle said:

What a terrible "first world" problem to have!!    If they haven't re-stocked those brands why not try a Bellini or an Apérol Spritz instead?

:-) Absolut(ly)   

Not all gins are dominated with the flavor of juniper berries.  Many are also infused with and variuos and varied botanicals which give them very different and interesting flavors.  Many of these are craft gins, but even the major brands like Beefeater, Tanqueray, Bombay, and Bombay Sapphire have distinct and different flavors with varying degrees of juniper flavor.

Vokdka on the other hand is a mixture of water and ethanol.  I don't find any distinctive flavor except for pure alcohol, and for me it needs additive flavors to make more than that.  

But then, I'm biased.  🍸🍸🍸

Edited by 1985rz1

6 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Not all gins are dominated with the flavor of juniper berries.  Many are also infused with and variuos and varied botanicals which give them very different and interesting flavors.  Many of these are craft gins, but even the major brands like Beefeater, Tanqueray, Bombay, and Bombay Sapphire have distinct and different flavors with varying degrees of juniper flavor.

Vokdka on the other hand is a mixture of water and ethanol.  I don't find any distinctive flavor except for pure alcohol, and for me it needs additive flavors to make more than that.  

But then, I'm biased.  🍸🍸🍸

Thank you for explaining that there are flavored gins.  These did not exist when I was younger.  May have to ask for a gin drink with the least amount of Christmas tree flavor (just kidding about the Christmas tree but it sort of tastes like I would imagine a Christmas tree to taste).  

My DH feels that vodka is the most pure alcohol.  He used to suggest that I stay away from alcohols that have a lot of added chemicals and colors.  There are alcohols that are naturally infused vs. "flavored".  I listened to my DH for years and still drink vodka but much prefer anejo tequila which I think (not sure) gets it color from aging a long time in a barrel.  

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you for explaining that there are flavored gins.  These did not exist when I was younger.  May have to ask for a gin drink with the least amount of Christmas tree flavor (just kidding about the Christmas tree but it sort of tastes like I would imagine a Christmas tree to taste).  

My DH feels that vodka is the most pure alcohol.  He used to suggest that I stay away from alcohols that have a lot of added chemicals and colors.  There are alcohols that are naturally infused vs. "flavored".  I listened to my DH for years and still drink vodka but much prefer anejo tequila which I think (not sure) gets it color from aging a long time in a barrel.  

Ain't got nothin' against a good tequila.  Did a upscale tequila tasting in San Jose del Cabo, and was amazed by the different flavors...almost like wine tasting.

My margarita recipe uses only quality tequila, contreau, and lime juice.  No sweet and sour or margarita mix for me.  But this recipe (on the Contreau bottle) may be too sharp for many. 

I did chuckle on your Christmas tree comment, but understood.  We're surrounded by juniper trees, down in elevation a bit from our 7000 ft high town.

Edited by 1985rz1

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

My margarita recipe uses only quality tequila, contreau, and lime juice.  No sweet and sour or margarita mix for me.  But this recipe (on the Contreau bottle) may be too sharp for many. 

Would you mind sharing the amount of each ingredient?  

We use Contreau as well and it really makes a good margarita frozen or on the rocks.  This is what we use.

1. 2 ounces tequila made from 100 percent agave, preferably reposado or blanco.
  2. 1 ounce Cointreau.
  3. 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice.
  4. Salt for garnish.
  5. Petron is our favorite tequila.

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Would you mind sharing the amount of each ingredient?  

MalbecWine already answered his recipe is identical to ours 2:1:1.  Our prference is blanco, and, like MalbecWine, we prefer Patron Silver.  A more fully favored taquila would be masked by the Cointreau and the lime juice.  If you like something a bit sweeter, try Grand Marnier, but that's too sweet for us. I wouldn't recommend ordinary triple sec you less you are desperate.

In terms of preparation, I shake it with crushed ice until it's really cold ( shaken, not stirred...old martini habits never die).  I strain the ice when pouring, but add a few chips afterwards for a bit of crunch.  We prefer it served in a chilled martini glass...again old habits arise.  We usually forgo the salt...my wife doesn't like it and I'm too lazy to salt the rim for just me.

In days far in the past, I used to make a 3:2:1 (tequila:Contreau:lime juice), but those days are long gone. 

2 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

MalbecWine already answered his recipe is identical to ours 2:1:1.  Our prference is blanco, and, like MalbecWine, we prefer Patron Silver.  A more fully favored taquila would be masked by the Cointreau and the lime juice.  If you like something a bit sweeter, try Grand Marnier, but that's too sweet for us. I wouldn't recommend ordinary triple sec you less you are desperate.

In terms of preparation, I shake it with crushed ice until it's really cold ( shaken, not stirred...old martini habits never die).  I strain the ice when pouring, but add a few chips afterwards for a bit of crunch.  We prefer it served in a chilled martini glass...again old habits arise.  We usually forgo the salt...my wife doesn't like it and I'm too lazy to salt the rim for just me.

In days far in the past, I used to make a 3:2:1 (tequila:Contreau:lime juice), but those days are long gone. 

May try Grand Marnier as Contreau and lime juice could be a bit bitter for me.  I'll give it a try with Patron silver.  While I generally like Anejo, what you said about a more fully flavored tequila possibly masking the other ingredients makes a lot of sense.  Definitely will give it a try.  At dinner tonight I had Don Julio anejo but cheated with Trader Joe's margarita mix (better than traditional mixes but your recipe is much more pure).

• 2 weeks later...