Sadness on Meraviglia

Toofarfromthesea

We are currently on Meraviglia, in YC, and our butler's assistant told us that one of his passengers (a young guy of about 50) suffered a heart attack while on his excursion in Copenhagen yesterday, was taken directly to the hospital, and passed away.  He was traveling with just his wife - hard to imagine what she is going through.  He told us that he had to pack up all the stuff in their cabin so it could be taken to her.  It hit HIM hard, because not long ago his Dad passed away suddenly and unexpectedly back in his home country of Mauritius, while he was working on a cruise.

A good reminder that none of us knows how many days we have so live them to fullest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

We are currently on Meraviglia, in YC, and our butler's assistant told us that one of his passengers (a young guy of about 50) suffered a heart attack while on his excursion in Copenhagen yesterday, was taken directly to the hospital, and passed away.  He was traveling with just his wife - hard to imagine what she is going through.  He told us that he had to pack up all the stuff in their cabin so it could be taken to her.  It hit HIM hard, because not long ago his Dad passed away suddenly and unexpectedly back in his home country of Mauritius, while he was working on a cruise.

A good reminder that none of us knows how many days we have so live them to fullest.

Such a sad story.  What is the name of the butler from Mauritius?

Thanks,

Oh so sorry to hear this.  It seems very common for someone to pass away while cruising but it still hits hard. It's happened on many of our cruises over the years.  Please let your butler know we are all thinking of him during this difficult time and send our love and hugs. 

1 hour ago, Cruisergal1208 said:

Please let your butler know we are all thinking of him during this difficult time and send our love and hugs. 

Please add my thoughts to him as well.  Being away from their home for such long periods of time, so much "family stuff" happens--be it joyous or not--these good people "miss out" because they chose to try to improve their circumstances by working on a cruise ship, trying to provide for us a pleasant and memorable experience.

10 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

So sad but you are correct , enjoy everyday to it's fullest.

12 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Not so easy to read and remember an unfamiliar name.  His name is Ansah Dheenest.  But thanks for doubting the honest of my original post.

Where did I doubt your post?  Read my question literally and without trying to imply intent.

We've met many people on MSC that are from Mauritius and I'm amazed how many seem to come from a far away and an island of just over 1.2 million people.  I was curious if we might have met them.

It has been a couple years but I believe Baptista was from there.  Manoj I believe from India though.

Last trip from Mauritius we had Vishnu, Roy IIRC, Kulna, and a few others from there that I don' t remember because we only met them in passing.  I have a bad memory so I look at name tag to memorize names the first couple meetings and where they are from and Mauritius seems to have some wonderful people.  I also remember the nice Olena from the Ukraine.

On a recent review, maybe from Shane, there is mention of people from Mauritius.

Edited by dexddd

37 minutes ago, dexddd said:

I also remember the nice Olena from the Ukraine.

She was great, with an ever-present smile, and was on both times we sailed on Seaside.  I wonder if she doesn't have rooms assigned, since she seemed to always be in the Top Sail Lounge or the One Pool area more than most other butlers.

1 minute ago, JAGR said:

She was great, with an ever-present smile, and was on both times we sailed on Seaside.  I wonder if she doesn't have rooms assigned, since she seemed to always be in the Top Sail Lounge or the One Pool area more than most other butlers.

Yes, I wondered that too as she was there quite a bit.  We didn't see her much by the pool although Izzy, how could I forget him who also is from Mauritius, was by the pool a lot.  Olena always had such shiny shoes unless she wore her plain leather sometimes early in the day.

On 4/29/2019 at 3:49 PM, Cruisergal1208 said:

Oh so sorry to hear this.  It seems very common for someone to pass away while cruising but it still hits hard. It's happened on many of our cruises over the years.  Please let your butler know we are all thinking of him during this difficult time and send our love and hugs. 

I've noticed this too; why do you think that is?

Over indulging on food/alcohol? Too much excitement for some people who may have pre-existing conditions they may not be aware of? 

6 hours ago, max996 said:

Over indulging on food/alcohol? Too much excitement for some people who may have pre-existing conditions they may not be aware of? 

I believe it’s the old “I’ll do it tomorrow” syndrome.  People put off taking a cruise until their internal clock tells them to go.  Unfortunately, for many, it’s too late.  

On 5/2/2019 at 11:34 AM, max996 said:

Sometimes it's the general age bracket but not always.  As you say, it may be too much for some people having preexisting conditions. I know when we were sailing a lot on HAL, it seemed to be someone on every sailing.  We never know when our time will be up, so live each day to the fullest.

25 minutes ago, Cruisergal1208 said:

Sometimes it's the general age bracket but not always.  As you say, it may be too much for some people having preexisting conditions. I know when we were sailing a lot on HAL, it seemed to be someone on every sailing.  We never know when our time will be up, so live each day to the fullest.

I could not think of a better way to go...

If you extrapolate the mortality rate of the general population to that of the 'cruising population' - I suspect there will be a slight increase, due to the age demographic.

But, it could happen to anyone, at any time - at the traffic lights, in bed, at work - one does not know what tomorrow holds.

• Like 1