Oceania or Regent?

Kingofcool1947

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Hi pongpong1...Just wanted a clarification on your comparison of ship sizes.  Are you referring to stateroom size, as the Riveria and Explorer staterooms look comparable, but the Riveria has 1250 pax, while the Explorer has 750 pax.  The small ships on Oceania have generally smaller cabins than Riveria or Marina for the same category, but hold 685 pax, closer to the Explorer.

1985 - Howdy!  Looking back on that sentence of mine, I actually have absolutely no idea or recollection of what the heck I meant (you won't hear that on CC very often)!  Of course Riviera is bigger (and wll have more passengers) than Explorer. Passenger load on Riviera is 1250 vs 750 pax on Explorer, as you correctly state.   66K tons for Riviera vs 56K tons for Explorer. 785 ft length (Riviera) vs 735 ft. length (Explorer), and 106' beam (Riviera) vs 102' beam (Explorer).

I must have been "thinking" (but didn't say it) that each of those ships are the "newest", largest, and "most lavish" within each of their respective fleets (Regent's Splendor isn't in service yet, but it's virtually identical to Explorer). Having said that, even though the Explorer is 84% of the gross tonnage of Riviera, and is (just) 50 feet shorter than Riviera, it carries 40% fewer passengers.  That's a big difference!  So Regent's Explorer naturally has a much higher "space ratio" (68) than Riviera's (46).  To passengers considering which ship to sail on (if "size matters"), the Explorer will "feel" much larger and "more open" (i.e., spacious) than the Riviera.  Thanks for the question and request for clarification.

Edited by pingpong1
spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pingpong1 said:

1985 - Howdy!  Looking back on that sentence of mine, I actually have absolutely no idea or recollection of what the heck I meant (you won't hear that on CC very often)! 

So true 😁😁😁

Of course Riviera is bigger (and wll have more passengers) than Explorer. Passenger load on Riviera is 1250 vs 750 pax on Explorer, as you correctly state.   66K tons for Riviera vs 56K tons for Explorer. 785 ft length (Riviera) vs 735 ft. length (Explorer), and 106' beam (Riviera) vs 102' beam (Explorer).

I must have been "thinking" (but didn't say it) that each of those ships are the "newest", largest, and "most lavish" within each of their respective fleets (Regent's Splendor isn't in service yet, but it's virtually identical to Explorer). Having said that, even though the Explorer is 84% of the gross tonnage of Riviera, and is (just) 50 feet shorter than Riviera, it carries 40% fewer passengers.  That's a big difference!  So Regent's Explorer naturally has a much higher "space ratio" (68) than Riviera's (46).  To passengers considering which ship to sail on (if "size matters"), the Explorer will "feel" much larger and "more open" (i.e., spacious) than the Riviera.  Thanks for the question and request for clarification.

Actually, the increased space ratio on Explorer...for all the reasons you stated...is one of the reasons we've decided to try an Explorer cruise in 2021, after a loooong hiatus from Regent.  Oceania's Marnier is perhaps our favorite ship, but we've sailed on the smaller ships and have booked two small ship cruises on Oceania, one in 2019 and one in 2020.  It will give us a chance to compare them more or less directly.

Cheers....

Edited by 1985rz1

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone, and Happy Mother's Day. In the recent past, we have sailed Regent three times and Oceania twice. Our next cruise is on Riviera because a special occasion occurs in the middle and we only have to fly one way to Rome. We hope there will be another Dom Perignon Dinner on board. In March we attended one on my birthday/our anniversary. Gastronomic Theater! We loved the PH on Explorer,  except for the wretched closet. The ship is beautiful with intriguing art everywhere. On two of our itineraries, we sailed to and from Miami, and flew one way on the other. When itineraries include two way flights, we usually skip those. We had the exactly the same flight arrangements on Riviera. We love this ship, and even though the Phs are not as grand  as on R, the closet is a dream. It is almost large enough to be a dressing room. The decor is also gorgeous and the art engaging. We are not foodies and are happy with the menus on both lines. Choosing between them is very enjoyable. Time to walk our Chihuahuas. Because it is Mother's Day, they will get an extra treat.

Mary

On 5/10/2019 at 11:47 PM, Petoonya said:

I've not cruised Regent so take my opinion as it is. But what turned me away from Regent are the excursions, especially in Tahiti where the particulars matter to me. I don't want to snorkel with a group of 24-32 people in water that is chest deep and the excursions are geared for those maybe not comfortable in deep water. I don't want to snorkel with any group larger than 8-12. It's the particulars on excursions that matter when I've choose an itinerary. The bottom line for me is not being locked in to "free" excursions when I really want to do my own thing. I'll pay for where I want and what I want to do.

And doesn't help that I love O.

I've never been on a Regent snorkeling excursion that big.  In Tahiti, taking excursions both private, but mostly through the Paul Gauguin cruise line, the excursions are *never* that big.  The local tour operators aren't set up for 30 people.

The biggest perhaps I remember is the shark and ray trip in the lagoon at Bora Bora, and that's less than 20, probably about 12-15.  The similar trip on Moorea definitely smaller.  We've done a catamaran sail and snorkel on Moorea and that was perhaps 15. Others have been about 12 people.

I can't imagine Regent digging up tour operators that are bigger--they have to use the local operators, and for them, they just don't have big boats like that.

BTW, the only chest-deep excursion I remember is the shark and ray one on Bora Bora, where you walk around petting the rays and sharks. 

Details on passenger-to-space ratios (which translate into a more or less "roomy" feel onboard):

Ship Name           pax min-max crew pax to space ratio

Seven Seas Explorer

754 - 829 542 68

Seven Seas Mariner 708 - 779 440 60

Oceania Riviera 1258 - 1447 800

Oceania Regatta 698 - 803 372 38

This tells a big story, for me.  Just as a comparison, a typical Viking Ocean ship:

Viking Sky 928 465 52

You can also calculate the pax/staff ratios from these numbers if you like, and you will find these numbers, using the minimum passenger complement (since I doubt they're ever at max), which is the number of staff per passenger:

Explorer: .71

Mariner:  .62

RIviera:  .63

Regatta: .53

Viking Sky: .50

As you can see, Riviera fares very well, Regatta doesn't, nor does Viking.

12 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I've never been on a Regent snorkeling excursion that big.  In Tahiti, taking excursions both private, but mostly through the Paul Gauguin cruise line, the excursions are *never* that big.  The local tour operators aren't set up for 30 people.

The biggest perhaps I remember is the shark and ray trip in the lagoon at Bora Bora, and that's less than 20, probably about 12-15.  The similar trip on Moorea definitely smaller.  We've done a catamaran sail and snorkel on Moorea and that was perhaps 15. Others have been about 12 people.

I can't imagine Regent digging up tour operators that are bigger--they have to use the local operators, and for them, they just don't have big boats like that.

BTW, the only chest-deep excursion I remember is the shark and ray one on Bora Bora, where you walk around petting the rays and sharks. 

Thanks Wendy.  I’ve been to Tahiti several times myself and don’t do snorkel trips with more than 10 people. So when I became interested in particular Tahiti Regent cruise I heard that the group sizes even on snorkeling excursions numbered 32. Went straight to the Regent board to inquire and while it didn’t seem possible, yes it is true. Infact a few  contributors posted photos of the Bora Bora snorkeling excursion on a big flat boat with 28-32 people. The people who’d taken them said they had a wonderful time and that I needn’t worry.

But I won’t worry at all because I’d never snorkel in a group that large. I’m on vacation at the moment or I’d look up the thread and pictures for you. But if you can’t believe it don’t take my word for it.  Go post on the Regent board and ask if it’s true....some very nice people will post more pictures of their groups, and in chest deep water. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 1:14 PM, Hawaiidan said:

With many port-port no sea days neither line is a value because you are not on the ship to take advantage of what you paid for. 

Regent will set you back 700-900PP/pd   O will only charge  at worst $450pp s day      That leaves you with   $300 pp  perday to do your own things..  lets you choose  what and where and how... with a big margin !.

Truer words never spoken...you pay $1,000/day (for two) for a nice floating hotel room and then spend that day spending more money off of the ship!  For every cruise (and we’ve only done a few so far) I do a price comparison for four ships/lines with the same/similar itinerary to get a price/day.  Only one of us drinks, so I add in the daily bar bill (not too high because we bring our own wine on board), our private excursions, etc.  

We’ve been once (Alaska) on Regent...it was our first cruise and we LOVED it.  Then we tried Oceania (Baltic) and we loved it more...even though the room and bath were smaller (PH) and I hate the tub/shower combo (who takes a bath on a ship floating in the ocean?).  I missed the walk-in closet on the Regent ship (I forget which one it was) and the larger room.  We’ve only been on the smaller Oceania ships (Insignia and Nautica) and those are plenty big enough for me, though I am not averse to trying Marina or Riviera.

I like the service but really, it’s the food that is memorable to me.  I don’t remember the food at all on the Regent cruise and at the time (Carlson still owned the 7 Seas line), the specialty restaurants were not all that ‘special.’  Contrast that with the specialty restaurants or even the GDR on Oceania and I have had several memorable meals (the surf and turf sandwich poolside being one of them; the lobster bisque and the caramel sauce for the ice cream are two others).  

Each line has it’s positives but the cost/benefit puts Oceania at the top for me...we always arrange our own excursions or take the free shuttle into town and wander around for a while.  If we really want to see more of a port city or area, we make arrangements to go back on our own another time to see it ‘in depth.’  Did that this past February with 4 days in Lisbon and surrounding area.  

The 3 days of private touring we did in St. Petersburg is one of our best trips ever and at the time, only the Oceania cruise stopped there for three full days.  

It doesn’t take long to list out the cost/day for several cruises lines (include the square footage for the cabin you are considering and list your priorities accordingly—cost of bev package if not included, air or not, etc.)

Happy travels!

On 5/1/2019 at 10:14 AM, Hawaiidan said:

Regent will set you back 700-900PP/pd   O will only charge  at worst $450pp s day      That leaves you with   $300 pp  perday to do your own things..  lets you choose  what and where and how... with a big margin !.

You can’t generalize like that. My Regent Cruise is about $410 Canadian PD PP. O is running about the same for an OV but I get so much more on Regent. 

7 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

You can’t generalize like that. My Regent Cruise is about $410 Canadian PD PP. O is running about the same for an OV but I get so much more on Regent. 

You’re missing the point...run your own numbers based on your priorities and make your decision accordingly.  THAT is the point!  You only ‘get so much more’ if it’s more of what you want in a cruise!

Comparing price is misleading.  Our Regent Mariner Cruise was actually 1000 US less than the almost exact same cruise on Oceania.  There are extreme deals on Regent lately that your TA can snag for you.  Doesn’t sway us.  Still enjoy Oceania or Crystal better,  just people we fit with I guess.   

• Like 1

There are always deals (or TA inclusions like shipboard credits, prepaid gratuities, etc.).  Of course, if cost is no object, then no need to compare prices at all—just go where you want, when you want and on whichever cruise line you prefer.

But there is nothing ‘misleading’ about comparing the price per day across trips and ships (see how I made that rhyme?) once you have all of the information.  The point is (am I repeating myself?) that if you’re not going to everything that is included in ‘all inclusive’ pricing, then perhaps a ‘less inclusive’ option is both cost effective and more suitable.  Everyone has to decide for themselves, based on their own priorities.

Do I miss the larger cabin and the walk-in closet?  Yes, I do.  But I can spend less on Oceania and get a PH cabin that is close enough and still save money because I don’t want the ship excursions or the all-inclusive booze.  And, I like the food much better on Oceania.  And I love the library.  But, that’s just me!  And, I’m able to very easily compare pricing and features, then talk to my TA and decide from there.

I find the comments on the demographics interesting—is it just the cruise line or is it the itinerary?  We generally cruise with friends as we found both of our first two cruises rather ‘cliqueish;’ now we bring our own clique.  Not to say that folks aren’t friendly in a very casual way.  

A.

2 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Good point. I haven't done any careful comparisons recently between R and O, but in the past I found many itineraries where when you factored-in all the extras with O, Regent was pretty even in price, or even beat Oceania.  It depends what you like, doesn't it?

Just a quick comparison between the Regent 2021 World Cruise (117days), and the Oceania 2021 WC, L.A.-NYC (164 days).  I know, it's a weird comparison, but it's what I'm constantly looking at since I'm booked on the former.  Current listed prices:

R. Mariner, standard G, 301 sqft, CA$84,349  (can only quote Canadian prices since I'm physically in Canada.)

- this translates to CA$720 pp/pd

O. Insignia, PH3,  322 sqft, $105,149 (closest comparable cabin to minimum Regent cabin)

- CA$641 pp/pd

Pretty close, and a roomier ship with great public spaces. And I persoally don't want a 164 day trip, or worse, their 180 day version.

I believe the perks on these World Cruises, which are many, are pretty well the same.  Of course, you could do the Insigia trip cheaper, in a smaller cabin, but even a Veranda at 215' would seem pretty small to me, let alone an Inside at 160'.

7 hours ago, Wynterwynd said:

You’re missing the point...run your own numbers based on your priorities and make your decision accordingly.  THAT is the point!  You only ‘get so much more’ if it’s more of what you want in a cruise!

Ok, let my try this slowly. I’m paying the same price for Regent as Oceania, same itinerary...the SAME price. On Regent, I get shore excursions, gratuities, upper end alcohol and a stateroom of over 300 sq ft. So exactly what point am I missing?  

Edited by Cruise Junky
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Ok, let my try this slowly. I’m paying the same price for Regent as Oceania, same itinerary...the SAME price. On Regent, I get shore excursions, gratuities, upper end alcohol and a stateroom of over 300 sq ft. So exactly what point am I missing?  

I don’t appreciate the tone of condescension and am certainly regretting writing at all on this thread.  

You are paying the same price and getting the things you prioritize...so if all else (ambiance, ship size, etc.) is equal, than that is the best choice for you.  If someone wants to arrange their own private excursions, doesn’t drink AND the cost/person/day is less then that might be the best choice for them.   The two lines aren’t the same (for example, I prefer the food on Oceania and that’s a higher priority for me) and it’s not all down to cost, of course.

My POINT is that I think that it’s worth doing the exercise to lay it all out.  But, no one is forcing you to do that.  Enjoy your cruise.

A.

On this board it so often comes down to the alcohol argument--'oh I don't drink so why would I want to pay for others to drink?'

So be it. We find the inclusive drinks policy on Regent makes for a lively, social ship, with little over-drinking, but well-populated lounges full of friendly people.  I didn't find that on my single Oceania cruise.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

On this board it so often comes down to the alcohol argument--'oh I don't drink so why would I want to pay for others to drink?'

So be it. We find the inclusive drinks policy on Regent makes for a lively, social ship, with little over-drinking, but well-populated lounges full of friendly people.  I didn't find that on my single Oceania cruise.

I’ve not ever seen that argument made nor do I understand the ‘why would I...pay for others to drink’ comment.  I think that if folks who can afford any of these cruises want to drink they can easily pay for either option (by the drink, drink package or including drinks).  Whatever your choice, it’s something to consider in the cost/per day on a cruise...an objective cost.  The ambiance of the cruise is a subjective thing (but no less important, certainly).

It’s great that there are so many choices for cruising.

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Wendy - Absolutely right.  As you and others have said, no one is forcing any person to book a Regent (or any other "all-inclusive") Cruise Line.  So I'm not understanding why (some) people get so seemingly concerned, angry, or zealous (pick your own adjective) about the "included alcohol, excursions, or gratuities" that make up Regent's fare structure?  I could say, "I don't eat caviar and my wife doesn't eat fish....so why should we have to subsidize or pay for those things, just so that others can eat it "for free"?

Is "included alcohol, caviar, and excursions" a part of Regent's fare structure?  Of course.  But that doesn't stop many of us from booking Regent Cruises and paying the premium (er....."luxury") prices for that "whole Regent package" and experience, no matter whether we use any one particular included amenity, or not.  As others, like Wynterwynd  have said, we all have choices.  For those who simply don't want to pay for unlimited alcohol, which they won't use, as a "built in component" of their cruise fare, then Oceania seems to be a very satisfactory alternative for them.  And many of us on this board actually seem to be choosing both lines, based upon itineraries, ship features, and schedules, and are "crossing between lines", quiet adeptly.  Regards.

• Like 1

Just now, pingpong1 said:

So I'm not understanding why (some) people get so seemingly concerned, angry, or zealous (pick your own adjective) about the "included alcohol, excursions, or gratuities" that make up Regent's fare structure? 

Because all of that is INCLUDED but not FREE -i.e. I am paying a fair amount extra for something I am not using (my gratuities are included on Oceania and we don’t drink and prefer private tours).

I prefer to pay “a la carte” on Oceania and pay only for things I want or need. If I preferred the food and ambience of Regent over Oceania I would pay that extra for things I don’t use but I prefer the food and ambience of Oceania over that of Regent. That said, I understand that many others prefer Regent as a better fit for them.

It is that simple.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

On 5/19/2019 at 2:25 PM, Paulchili said:

Because all of that is INCLUDED but not FREE -i.e. I am paying a fair amount extra for something I am not using (my gratuities are included on Oceania and we don’t drink and prefer private tours).

I prefer to pay “a la carte” on Oceania and pay only for things I want or need. If I preferred the food and ambience of Regent over Oceania I would pay that extra for things I don’t use but I prefer the food and ambience of Oceania over that of Regent. That said, I understand that many others prefer Regent as a better fit for them.

It is that simple.

Sailed many days on both....Regent just does not meet my needs or wants and for the cruises I want to  do is way over priced.   To me the ambiance of Oceania  is far better than any of my Regent experiences.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:44 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Details on passenger-to-space ratios (which translate into a more or less "roomy" feel onboard):

Ship Name           pax min-max crew pax to space ratio

Seven Seas Explorer

754 - 829 542 68

Seven Seas Mariner 708 - 779 440 60

Oceania Riviera 1258 - 1447 800

Oceania Regatta 698 - 803 372 38

This tells a big story, for me.  Just as a comparison, a typical Viking Ocean ship:

Viking Sky 928 465 52

You can also calculate the pax/staff ratios from these numbers if you like, and you will find these numbers, using the minimum passenger complement (since I doubt they're ever at max), which is the number of staff per passenger:

Explorer: .71

Mariner:  .62

RIviera:  .63

Regatta: .53

Viking Sky: .50

As you can see, Riviera fares very well, Regatta doesn't, nor does Viking.

If your just looking at space.... thats one thing.   However, another important, too me more important, factor is the  types of passengers the ship attracts.     It is  who are your fellow passengers are likely to be and their demeanor , that is far more important.     Regatta and Riviera, to me  come in way better as to the sort of  fellow passengers I most enjoy being with.     Others may find a fit in other places...  thats fine

3 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

If your just looking at space.... thats one thing.   However, another important, too me more important, factor is the  types of passengers the ship attracts.     It is  who are your fellow passengers are likely to be and their demeanor , that is far more important.     Regatta and Riviera, to me  come in way better as to the sort of  fellow passengers I most enjoy being with.     Others may find a fit in other places...  thats fine

Yep, absolutely.  And for us, Oceania failed that test.  But as you say, YMMV, right?

On 5/1/2019 at 1:47 PM, Paulchili said:

Agree with all above.

Nothing wrong with Regent per se just not a good fit for us as we don't drink and often do our own excursions or a mix of ship & private. We get PPG with our status and OBC. With all this the overall value is much better on O for us.

Form our limited experience on Regent I would rate O's food slightly better, especially on O class ships with all those dining options.

Can't really go wrong with either - best to try for yourself and decide as what suits me may not suit you ☺️

Ditto...since I don't drink alcohol, it seems like a waste of money to pay for other peoples' drinks and I get nothing in place of that.