Best month (weather-wise) for partial canal transit

Currently booked on 12/9/20 Zuiderdam canal transit. Would there be any benefit to sailing in another month to have a better chance for clearer skies/lower humidity during our canal transit?? Not sure what moth has best overall weather in Panama. 

Have done Panama Canal twice in December, both times it was beautiful weather, but HOT.  I was prepared with sun hat, wet/gel neck bandanna, sunscreen and took breaks in the AC and for cold drinks.  I had a small umbrella handy, it's far too hot for me for a rain jacket.  I wore shoes so as not to burn my feet while out in the sun for hours.  It's just too spectacular to miss anything, IMO.  Enjoy, m--

There are many discussions about this on the Panama board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/54-panama-canal/

January to May are generally dryer. It is pretty much always hot there, and the humidity is on the high side. As the Canal requires tremendous amounts of water, it is located in a location prone to lots of rain. And it is only a couple of degrees off the Equator, so hot.

Have transited the Canal in November, December, April and May. A light rain for a short time in November, a 90 minute or so heavy downpour in December, no rain in April or May.

Have sailed the Canal in October, January, February and May. 

October was the most uncomfortable weather-wise, because we had off and on rain

the full transit.

January and February were good, but each time I had difficulty with flights home due to

weather conditions on the East Coast.

May was the best month, for me, weather wise.  There was no rain and a steady breeze the entire time.

(Most of my cruises have been full transits.) 

It's the tropics, so there's always a chance of some rain, even on a day that starts out bright. It's hot, water evaporates, and the humidity builds until the atmosphere "needs" to drop the water. So it rains for a while, often a downpour, and then it clears. 

I would avoid hurricane season, more for the Caribbean part of the cruise than the Canal itself. I've had two transits in clear weather, both in winter (Jan and Feb) and one almost perfect transit in June, where we had a sudden downpour in the afternoon. The good part of the rain was that people ran for cover, which opened up some prime viewing spots on deck. 

Thanks for all the great responses!  It would appear that February is the driest month on average, though certainly I understand the fickleness of the weather, especially in the tropics!!!!!  

We are currently booked December 9th 2020 on the Zuiderdam but were considering changing to the April 7th 2021 sailing.  I'm not sure that there would be enough difference to merit the delay and increased cruise fare (possibly higher hotel cost and airfare as well due to Spring Break season in FLL).

10 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Thanks for all the great responses!  It would appear that February is the driest month on average, though certainly I understand the fickleness of the weather, especially in the tropics!!!!!  

We are currently booked December 9th 2020 on the Zuiderdam but were considering changing to the April 7th 2021 sailing.  I'm not sure that there would be enough difference to merit the delay and increased cruise fare (possibly higher hotel cost and airfare as well due to Spring Break season in FLL).

I agree.  If it were me, I would probably leave it as is.  Historically, the first part of December has some of the best deals, so there is a good possibility you will see further price drop.

1 minute ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I agree.  If it were me, I would probably leave it as is.  Historically, the first part of December has some of the best deals, so there is a good possibility you will see further price drop.

That is one of the reasons I have so often cruised in Early December 😃  Allows me to often cruise on ships/cabin types I otherwise could not afford!!!!!

• Like 1

As a follow up ...... after discussion (and the hope for drier weather) we have switched from the 12/9/20 sailing to the 2/24/21 sailing - both were on Zuiderdam, exact same 11nt itinerary, and booking perks, but Feb will cost us a smidge more, but not enough to break the bank :)

Thanks again to all the comments and insight everyone provided!

• Like 1