Dining - what would you do please?

Werangels

We will be taking our first ever cruise next month and it’s just a week.  We are both foodies and I cannot find any menus for the MDR, buffets, chef’s table, etc only for the speciality restaurants to help us decide.  Obviously 7 nights includes a White Night and an Azamazing Evening so, my question is if you were us with the knowledge and experience you have, what would you choose to do?  Would you purchase a package for the speciality restaurants, attend White Evening, etc?  My husband doesn’t drink and I don’t partake much so would we get value from the Chef’s table? What is the food like in the MDR?  Thank you so much.

My personal view.  For a seven night cruise I wouldn’t bother with a package.  By the time you factor in Azamazing and White Night, both of which as first timers you’ll want to experience there isn’t enough nights to justify a three night Specialty package.  The buffet is themed each evening (Greek, Turkish, Indian, seafood etc) and I like to eat there at least once.  The Patio is also open for dinner with a different menu from daytime and table service and I like to go there too (tip, don’t go too late.  7pm is ideal and then you don’t experience clearing away around you at the end of your meal which I have experienced a few times).  

So maybe just go once to a Specialty and see.  The rest of the offerings have very nice food too.  

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The food in the MDR is good but the service in the speciality restaurants is superb. We haven't tried the Chefs Table as I only drink white wine.

The speciality restaurants have additional items each night as well as the printed menu.

We have just returned from b2b and.on one cruise ate in the MDR each evening and the other the speciality ones. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Werangels said:

We will be taking our first ever cruise next month and it’s just a week.  We are both foodies and I cannot find any menus for the MDR, buffets, chef’s table, etc only for the speciality restaurants to help us decide.  Obviously 7 nights includes a White Night and an Azamazing Evening so, my question is if you were us with the knowledge and experience you have, what would you choose to do?  Would you purchase a package for the speciality restaurants, attend White Evening, etc?  My husband doesn’t drink and I don’t partake much so would we get value from the Chef’s table? What is the food like in the MDR?  Thank you so much.

Firstly I’d say a week isn’t long, so I wouldn’t personally buy a package! I might think about using a speciality restaurant once - which one depends on the type of food you like. If you love steaks them Prime C would probably suit you, whereas Aqualina has more of a European flavour. 

I did manage to find a live review which has some photos of Discoveries menus in it. Here’s the link - menus in post 164. 

We think the food in Discoveries (MDR) is very good. Lots of people think the Patio is very good in the evening too - and there are some great menus in Windows buffet. If you love Indian food the Indian buffet is very good. We tend not to eat in Windows because we like to eat fairly late 7:45 - 8:00. Windows stops serving at 8:30, so it’s often empty by then. We did try an Indian buffet on one cruise, but when we went into Windows just after 8:00 it was nearly empty, with no atmosphere at all. The food was excellent, though - we do love a curry!

I love the White Night buffet, the food is always great, but I know others who don’t go because they don’t like the queues for food. Discoveries often had Surf & Turf that night.

I think you may find the Chefs table poor value if you’re not really into wine.

If you want to eat in a speciality restaurant you could make a booking straight away when you board for later in the week. Bookings can be made at the reservations desk just inside the main entrance to Windows buffet on Deck 9 - they’ll also be able to tell you what night White Night is. You can always cancel it if you find you’re happy with the food in Discoveries (make sure you cancel before noon on the day of the booking as otherwise there’s a cancellation charge).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Phil. I think that in such a short time, I would participate of both Azamazing and White Night. White night offers good barbecue lobsters for example. The other evenings I would just go to the main restaurant. I would not buy any package for the specialty restaurants. As a matter of fact, I would not go any evening to the specialty restaurant on the ship for that period of time.

You do not say where is your cruise, but if I were you and I like good food, I would consider to have maybe a good lunch at one of the ports. Even a simple fish would taste better than on a ship because of being fresh. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally I would try Aqualina and Prime C even on a 7 night cruise. The ambience, food and service is definitely a cut above the norm. This still leaves you time for White Night Buffet and the Azamazing Evening early buffet is not that great anyway ....and personally I don't really want to eat so early. They have to do it that way in order to get everyone to the Azamazing Evening venue in time. 

However that still leaves you four nights to eat at the MDR, Windows Buffet or The Patio. I know The Patio has its fans but I'm not one of them. The food is OK but in my experience service there is often not great.  

I don't think I would be too concerned about booking a Chef's Table though on such a short cruise. If you like curry then don't miss the Indian Buffet and the Italian Buffet is also very good. 

Just my opinion...others will disagree! 

• Thanks 1

I don't know if this will be available, Wereangels, but I'd highly recommend the Rijsttafel (Rice Table) if offered.  It's a special, Indonesian feast served at a long table in Windows.  You'll address 16 or so courses, small plates, served with elegance by waitstaff in Balinese garb and prepared by a dedicated chef.  We found it an Amazing experience, and enjoyed it twice last year on a B2B around Australia and New Zealand.  There was a small upcharge, and I would not hesitate to join in yet again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone.  I think we will just book one of the speciality restaurants when we get on board.  We don’t really do buffets, preferring to be served but may try it one evening.  We do, however like to be outside as much as possible whether dining or sitting in a bar.  I’m also a little reticent about White Night as queuing for food doesn’t appeal either!  However, I do agree with Phil’s thoughts that as newbies we should try it!  

Grandma, thank you for the link.  The menus looked good.  I do love good wine.  I just don’t drink more than 1 or 2 glasses!

Ithikan - we have done a Rijsttafel in Indonesia and agree!  A great way to sample lots of specialities.  We were also fortunate to have a local cook in the house we rented when we stayed in Ubud - superb........

Travelberlin - we are used to eating in very very good restaurants whilst on holiday and that is one of my concerns with cruising that the food will not live up to what we are used to.  We have a table booked at Cipriani Locanda on Torcello pre-cruise.  After a decent breakfast however, we don’t often want much for lunch.  A possibility from Lottie’s tip is to go and enjoy a lunch on the Azamazing evening.

Again, thank you all.  Much appreciated.

• Like 1

I’m going to play the devil’s advocate and suggest that you experience all that Azamara offers, re: food, because you are on a short cruise. How else will you know if it’s something you want to repeat? 

Your description of your dining preferences makes me think that a Chef’s Table might be a highlight. I’m also a one or two glasses of wine with dinner person, so the Chef’s Table probably wasn’t a winner financially, but that wasn’t the point. The food and service were exquisite and I’ll continue to do it every cruise.

Do give the buffet and White Night a chance, too. Food is excellent at both and if you enjoy international cuisine, I’m sure you’ll be pleased with Windows.

My experience is that food at every venue is very good. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. Just plan to enjoy your cruise!

Melissa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Firstly I’d say a week isn’t long, so I wouldn’t personally buy a package! I might think about using a speciality restaurant once - which one depends on the type of food you like. If you love steaks them Prime C would probably suit you, whereas Aqualina has more of a European flavour. 

I did manage to find a live review which has some photos of Discoveries menus in it. Here’s the link - menus in post 164. 

We think the food in Discoveries (MDR) is very good. Lots of people think the Patio is very good in the evening too - and there are some great menus in Windows buffet. If you love Indian food the Indian buffet is very good. We tend not to eat in Windows because we like to eat fairly late 7:45 - 8:00. Windows stops serving at 8:30, so it’s often empty by then. We did try an Indian buffet on one cruise, but when we went into Windows just after 8:00 it was nearly empty, with no atmosphere at all. The food was excellent, though - we do love a curry!

I love the White Night buffet, the food is always great, but I know others who don’t go because they don’t like the queues for food. Discoveries often had Surf & Turf that night.

Only one Az cruise under my belt but Discoveries on Journey was very satisfying and we both looked forward to dining there, night after night. We skipped eating at White Night as we got there late but Discoveries cushioned the blow. We won't miss getting to WN early on our next cruise as the ambiance is not the norm on a ship. The Patio is a venue I only experienced at lunch and food and service was remarkable compared to similar venues ( e.g. Mast Grill) on Celebrity-the only similarity really being proximity to the pool. Windows was a buffet with a smaller number of choices than I am used to but the changing themes and the quality of the food made me want to eat there more, even for dinner. The night I ate at Aquafina- fine meal but not very Italian was my impression although it was just a one-night snapshot- I also had a sampling from the Indian buffet and I could have filled my plate and eaten at Windows quite happily.

Chef's table interests me for my next Az cruise. Food is a big part of the cruise experience- I am sure none of us eat out 7 nights a week, regardless of where we live and Azamara offerings on my one cruise were memorable.  Would I buy a dining package before sailing? Probably not as I would want to sample Discoveries first and consider my dining itinerary based on that.

Norris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Melissaghoti said:

I’m going to play the devil’s advocate and suggest that you experience all that Azamara offers, re: food, because you are on a short cruise. How else will you know if it’s something you want to repeat? 

Your description of your dining preferences makes me think that a Chef’s Table might be a highlight. I’m also a one or two glasses of wine with dinner person, so the Chef’s Table probably wasn’t a winner financially, but that wasn’t the point. The food and service were exquisite and I’ll continue to do it every cruise.

Do give the buffet and White Night a chance, too. Food is excellent at both and if you enjoy international cuisine, I’m sure you’ll be pleased with Windows.

My experience is that food at every venue is very good. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. Just plan to enjoy your cruise!

Melissa

Thank you Melissa.  There is a part of me that thinks this.  I suppose it is partly fear of missing out!!  Also, I want us to have the best experience.  There is little chance of us cruising again if we are disappointed by the food.  

4 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Only one Az cruise under my belt but Discoveries on Journey was very satisfying and we both looked forward to dining there, night after night. We skipped eating at White Night as we got there late but Discoveries cushioned the blow. We won't miss getting to WN early on our next cruise as the ambiance is not the norm on a ship. The Patio is a venue I only experienced at lunch and food and service was remarkable compared to similar venues ( e.g. Mast Grill) on Celebrity-the only similarity really being proximity to the pool. Windows was a buffet with a smaller number of choices than I am used to but the changing themes and the quality of the food made me want to eat there more, even for dinner. The night I ate at Aquafina- fine meal but not very Italian was my impression although it was just a one-night snapshot- I also had a sampling from the Indian buffet and I could have filled my plate and eaten at Windows quite happily.

Chef's table interests me for my next Az cruise. Food is a big part of the cruise experience- I am sure none of us eat out 7 nights a week, regardless of where we live and Azamara offerings on my one cruise were memorable.  Would I buy a dining package before sailing? Probably not as I would want to sample Discoveries first and consider my dining itinerary based on that.

Norris

Thanks Norris.  If it was possible to sample/view everything first and then book a package that would be perfect.  However, everywhere would be like;y to be booked up I suppose if we waited until day 2 or just have unpopular times left?  The challenge is the fact it is just 7 nights.  A longer cruise would allow us to try everything.  

4 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

The Patio is a venue I only experienced at lunch and food and service was remarkable compared to similar venues ( e.g. Mast Grill) on Celebrity-the only similarity really being proximity to the pool.

The Patio is a very different proposition at dinner. For instance, the burgers are way better than lunchtime and higher quality. There is a totally different menu there in the evening too. You can still wander into the buffet and help yourself to what is in the (I do because the salad range is better and so is the dessert choice).  But as I said in my original post, I try to go there a little earlier because they clear up around you later on. 

Phil 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Werangels said:

Thanks Norris.  If it was possible to sample/view everything first and then book a package that would be perfect.  However, everywhere would be like;y to be booked up I suppose if we waited until day 2 or just have unpopular times left?  The challenge is the fact it is just 7 nights.  A longer cruise would allow us to try everything.  

Not necessarily. I wouldn't worry about that too much. You should still be able to get seated, but might need to be flexible. It does depend on your cruise. Sometimes it's busy. Others not so much. As you say, the challenge is it's a short cruise. 

Phil 

1 hour ago, Werangels said:

Thank you all.  Really helpful.

Is there an outside bar area where you can sit early or late evening please?  

Pool bar opens at 9am and closes around 8pm but there was always a waiter who would come around the smoking area and get us drinks until very late.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Werangels said:

Thank you Melissa.  There is a part of me that thinks this.  I suppose it is partly fear of missing out!!  Also, I want us to have the best experience.  There is little chance of us cruising again if we are disappointed by the food.  

My advise is to enjoy your cruise and the food offered by Azamara without too many expectations. Azamara does not advertise their cruises as having the best food on a cruise ship. It would be a pity that you do not cruise again because you did not like the food on the ship.

Azamara offers a wonderful experience in terms of ports visited, longer stay at ports, friendly service, accesible officers, good included wines and food. But the food itself is not imho, the main strength of Azamara. Not even in the specialty restaurants or chefs table, and do not forget you have to pay extra for those restaurants. 

To my opinion, Crystal Cruises offers much better food experience, with better wines and specialty restaurants. I also love good food myself and I am also somebody who enjoys the experience of a fine dining. Having said that, I have enjoyed my Azamara cruises very much and I have not been disappointed, but I have not booked those cruises expecting the best food on sea.

Have fun and if you can when you come back let us know your impressions.

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 1