Review of the Excellent Club Orange experience on the Koningsdam

Fredrik

1 minute ago, Cruising-along said:

But was it worth it to sit in the "fish bowl"?  As a 5-star Mariner I've agreed with you about Club Orange in the past.  I just spent 65 days on the NS and Koningsdam and passed by that fish bowl every day.  Not what I would consider an intimate space, JMO.  

Interesting.  You complain about CO being a fishbowl but find no issues with the MDR which is an even bigger fishbowl.  Sounds very much like 'sour grapes'.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Instead of complaining about what others receive, why not just enjoy what you receive.   

So you are suggesting just throwing our money away? Because that is what we are doing if others are getting much the same experience for $25 per day.

4 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Why do you think so?

Have you seen the space allocated for Club Orange on the Koningsdam and/or NS?  Floor to ceiling windows, everyone is on view for anyone who passes along that busy corridor.  

Have you sat inside CO? Not a problem for us. The glass is partially frosted to still allow great views of the sea. Every specialty restaurant has windows to the main public area where people pass by. No difference.

10 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Why do you think so?

Have you seen the space allocated for Club Orange on the Koningsdam and/or NS?  Floor to ceiling windows, everyone is on view for anyone who passes along that busy corridor.  

And, everyone in the MDR is on view for anyone who enters the MDR.

There are far more people in the MDR than ever walk by CO.

14 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Interesting.  You complain about CO being a fishbowl but find no issues with the MDR which is an even bigger fishbowl.  Sounds very much like 'sour grapes'.

Hardly sour grapes, I really don't care about Club Orange one way or the other.  I'm just interested in why some like it. 

2 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Have you sat inside CO? Not a problem for us. The glass is partially frosted to still allow great views of the sea. Every specialty restaurant has windows to the main public area where people pass by. No difference.

No, I haven't.  I guess the difference (to me) is that in the Pinnacle, Tamarind and even Canaletto, the whole dining area isn't lit up brightly and visible to everyone going by.  That's great you liked it, I just have no interest in dining there.

10 minutes ago, twodjs said:

So you are suggesting just throwing our money away? Because that is what we are doing if others are getting much the same experience for $25 per day.

I don't know why you would think you're throwing away your money. 

You still get all the 4* perks, complimentary laundry and pressing, discounts on wine packages, discounts on specialty dining, etc.

I see no reason to begrudge what others have also paid for.

1 minute ago, Cruising-along said:

Hardly sour grapes, I really don't care about Club Orange one way or the other.  I'm just interested in why some like it. 

No, I haven't.  I guess the difference (to me) is that in the Pinnacle, Tamarind and even Canaletto, the whole dining area isn't lit up brightly and visible to everyone going by.  That's great you liked it, I just have no interest in dining there.

Well, actually many parts of the PG are visible to others walking by.  And, Canaletto is by no means private.  The Tamarind Bar is open to all passengers.

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Well, actually many parts of the PG are visible to others walking by.  And, Canaletto is by no means private.  The Tamarind Bar is open to all passengers.

I guess we've always been lucky to not be sitting right by the windows!  And we haven't been to the Tamarind Bar, I was referring to the dining area.   

Will just have to agree to disagree here, enjoy Club Orange! 🙂  

3 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I guess we've always been lucky to not be sitting right by the windows!  And we haven't been to the Tamarind Bar, I was referring to the dining area.   

Will just have to agree to disagree here, enjoy Club Orange! 🙂  

I intend to enjoy CO.  I just don't see the point in criticizing CO for the fact that people can watch you eat when far more people can watch you eat in the MDR.  BTW, that doesn't mean CO is a great deal, it only means that one criticism is overstated IMO.  I guess if one really wants an exclusive place to dine where no one can watch them eat, then they should take all their meals in their room.

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

The more intimate space,  extra specialized service and watching many of our choices prepared live in front of us, made the experience worth it. It was a mere seconds from the prep area to our table. Watching the attention to detail was amazing! The extra item on the menu didn't matter to us, since we are both vegetarian. And we were in a Neptune Suite, so there was no additional daily fee.

I'm glad to hear your report of such a positive experience, twodjs.  One question:  How was the lighting in CO?  We don't enjoy dining in a brightly lit space, and a lot of the dining rooms are brighter these days.

2 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I'm glad to hear your report of such a positive experience, twodjs.  One question:  How was the lighting in CO?  We don't enjoy dining in a brightly lit space, and a lot of the dining rooms are brighter these days.

The lighting in the evening is much dimmer, with table clothes, roses and candles on the tables.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, twodjs said:

And to add to the insult, they now provide very nice bags to Neptune Suite guests with CLUB ORANGE printed on the side in very large font.

Thank you for your excellent report.

I’ve snipped your post.  To be honest, I’d like one of the Club Orange bags if/when I am in a Neptune Suite as opposed to the regular bag that HAL gives out.

IF HAL gave a nicer bag to the Neptune Suites it would be a different story but they don’t.  The Club Orange bag looks quite decent.  Not that they have a better bag  I think the least HAL can do is give one to the Neptune Suites 😉. Just a different viewpoint.

39 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’ve snipped your post.  To be honest, I’d like one of the Club Orange bags if/when I am in a Neptune Suite as opposed to the regular bag that HAL gives out.

IF HAL gave a nicer bag to the Neptune Suites it would be a different story but they don’t.  The Club Orange bag looks quite decent.  Not that they have a better bag  I think the least HAL can do is give one to the Neptune Suites 😉. Just a different viewpoint.

I didn't get the nicer bag last winter. Have to see what happens this time.

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I intend to enjoy CO.  I just don't see the point in criticizing CO for the fact that people can watch you eat when far more people can watch you eat in the MDR.  BTW, that doesn't mean CO is a great deal, it only means that one criticism is overstated IMO.  I guess if one really wants an exclusive place to dine where no one can watch them eat, then they should take all their meals in their room.

I think the difference is what people are doing. People walking by CO don't have much to look at--look out the windows or look in at CO. Curiosity does make people look at CO. In the MDR, people are busy eating and, once they're seated, can't see that much anyway. Even walking through the MDR to my table, I'm not looking at other passengers. I'm threading my way through tables and watching for waiters with big trays. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I think the difference is what people are doing. People walking by CO don't have much to look at--look out the windows or look in at CO. Curiosity does make people look at CO. In the MDR, people are busy eating and, once they're seated, can't see that much anyway. Even walking through the MDR to my table, I'm not looking at other passengers. I'm threading my way through tables and watching for waiters with big trays. 

I think calling CO a "fish bowl" makes no sense.  To me, it's just a way to denigrate the CO experience by those who don't want to pay the extra fee.  "Sour Grapes".  I've yet to see anyone dining in CO complaining about being watched, the complainers are always those who don't want to pay for the CO experience.  While a person may not be able to see much in the MDR,  that is offset by the large number of passengers in the MDR.  You're being watched both places.  

• Like 2

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

I think calling CO a "fish bowl" makes no sense.  To me, it's just a way to denigrate the CO experience by those who don't want to pay the extra fee.  "Sour Grapes".  I've yet to see anyone dining in CO complaining about being watched, the complainers are always those who don't want to pay for the CO experience.  While a person may not be able to see much in the MDR,  that is offset by the large number of passengers in the MDR.  You're being watched both places.  

My first thought when I saw it was "fish bowl." I don't care if someone watches me eat, but I think it's a cold and unattractive space. And that isn't sour grapes--I ate there.

• Like 1

I love the fish bowl!  I get to watch the people walking by as well as a great view of the sea.

I would also love one of those tote bags.  I really wanted one when in a NS but was told they were only for CO passengers.  😭

38 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I love the fish bowl!  I get to watch the people walking by as well as a great view of the sea.

I would also love one of those tote bags.  I really wanted one when in a NS but was told they were only for CO passengers.  😭

I received the bag in my NS on the Nieuw Amsterdam in December but it does not say Club Orange on it. Just the HAL logo

• Like 1

Having now twice experienced CO dining on the Koningsdam the latest last month in a Neptune very happy to report it was as excellent and enjoyable as we found it when it was first rolled out. Did not receive the upgraded tote the first time and didn't think to ask but did this time and it it quite usable. I don't feel its anymore of a fishbowl environment as Rudi's and Canellato on the K in fact probably less so. In any case we found the lighting in the evening to be very warm and inviting as well as the table settings.       

8 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Instead of complaining about what others receive, why not just enjoy what you receive.   

My wife and I are four star mariners, and it rankles me as well to see folks who pay for this dubious value receive the same priority tendering and embarkation that it took us years, and many cruises, to earn. It’s not really “complaining about what others receive,” it’s about not feeling sufficiently appreciated for the loyalty we’ve shown Holland America.

8 hours ago, kazu said:

You need to know that we DID receive the nicer bag, but with only the Holland America logo on it in December when staying in a Neptune Suite on the Oosterdam. The same bag, but with the Club Orange logo on it was the ONLY option for our Neptune Suite stay on the Koningsdam last week. WHAT AN INSULT TO SUITE GUESTS to provide a bag promoting a program that encourages you to "cruise like you are in a Suite without the Suite price". STUPID!!! 

Here is the bag we received as  Neptune Suite guests in December on Oosterdam. Completely acceptable. The same bag on our February Koningsdam cruise in a Neptune Suite had the HAL logo replaced by the Club Orange logo. A complete insult to Suite guests! 

20191219_093521.jpg