Internet / WIFI questions

troy510

I'm going on the 13 night South American cruise on the NCL Encore next year and I don't want to be without internet. I know that once I'm at the ports, I'll be able to use mobile data, but while out at sea, I'm sure it wont be possible. If I purchase the unlimited wifi plan on the ship, can I select the days I want to use or must I buy it for everyday? ....also, does the unlimited internet plan cover everyone in the room or just one person? Thanks in advance!

Edited by troy510

3 minutes ago, troy510 said:

I'm going on the 13 night South American cruise on the NCL Encore next year and I don't want to be without internet. I know that once I'm at the ports, I'll be able to use mobile data, but while out at sea, I'm sure it wont be possible. If I purchase the unlimited wifi plan on the ship, can I select the days I want to use or must I buy it for everyday?

Here are the T&Cs:

Full Cruise Plans are only available for purchase until 10 PM on the second sea day of your cruise.

Purchases are for the entire length of of your cruise.

So, if you want the Unlimited Premium Wi-Fi plan, you must pay $34.99/per day for the 13 days!

Internet on NCL, well, it's not something you'd pay for on land... IMO, if I don't get NCL internet for free... I don't want it.  It's that poor. Think less than 56k... no more. Apparently NCL doesn't want you on the internet when you can be enjoying their offerings on the ship. Just sayin'

I was on the Escape a couple years ago and I do remember the complimentary 100 mins or so they gave me. The internet was quite slow. I just thought it was that particular day or so. Thanks for the heads up. I wont be purchasing now

NCL internet where the carrier pigeon meets the pony express.

Hopefully you will have the free 250 minute perk to exchange within 2 days of sailing for one of these programs LINK:

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages

NCL internet is basically fine for email messaging - browsing websites you better be on an unlimited plan and have time -

lots of time to waste for things to spool up - load display !

Speed is better than dial-up and somewhat close to DSL but a distant quasar to fiber optic (light speed) feed.

Realize that the NCL internet has to be beamed from the ship up to a satellite then back down to a land point.

Closing - NCL internet is a close cousin to Morse as in Code telegraph - at least it will seem that way !  

• Haha 1

When DH was going to school on line we used to get a big package so he could check into the his classes & I could stay connected to my company.  It is very slow but we managed.  It is bare bones; surfing is not really an option because it's too slow.   You pay for a log in code basically.  Only one person can use that code at a time but on any device:  the ship's internet café, your phone, your device in your cabin. The speed on their machines is better then on your device in the cabin. 

Just off the Getaway and internet was fine. It bogged down a few times in cabin, but otherwise not as terrible as I expected. They have a new multi- user discount that reduces the daily price a bit for up to four users.

42 minutes ago, 4wheeltravel said:

I called NCL about exchanging my free 250 minutes for its (listed) value and purchasing a better plan.  She said that bc it's free it has no value.  Has anyone had better luck?

You can upgrade the package when you get on the ship. They will give you a credit for the cost of the 250 minute plan. 

47 minutes ago, 4wheeltravel said:

I called NCL about exchanging my free 250 minutes for its (listed) value and purchasing a better plan.  She said that bc it's free it has no value.  Has anyone had better luck?

She was wrong. You may be able  to upgrade to a better plan once on board.

1 hour ago, Zippeedee said:

Just off the Getaway and internet was fine. It bogged down a few times in cabin, but otherwise not as terrible as I expected. They have a new multi- user discount that reduces the daily price a bit for up to four users.

I'd love to hear more about the multi-user discount!

2 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

We are on the Getaway in November this year.  I have been watching for the internet pricing for our cruise but it is not showing any yet.  I assume that it would even show up for purchase until maybe after final payment or so.  We own our own business so we will need the upgraded package with two users (WiFi calling and etc).

Call center operators are clueless. Upgrade from the 250 minutes promo plan can only be done onboard the ship, credit is usually $125 toward unlimited plans only, easy DIY. 

Speed isn't turbo fast, but consistent as satellite and reasonbly usable, true as being pricey. No problems with loading graphics and surfing - bandwidth is dynamically shared among all users, getting anywhere from 1 to 3 or 4 MB/s upload & download aren't too horrible ... nothing like dial-up 25 years ago on a Hayes 9600 or 33k modem.  

IMG_20181102_142051738.jpg

IMG_20181102_142210436.jpg

IMG_20181102_142152730.jpg

IMG_20181102_142249693.jpg

IMG_20181102_142241136.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 4wheeltravel said:

Wrong - - - the 250 minute perk is worth about $125 converting to one of the Unlimited Plans.

No rush or hurry check with the Internet Manager on board within two days of sailing away.

If you are savvy with NCL internet you can do it yourself - best discounted break on 2nd day.

44 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

We are on the Getaway in November this year.  I have been watching for the internet pricing for our cruise but it is not showing any yet.  I assume that it would even show up for purchase until maybe after final payment or so.  We own our own business so we will need the upgraded package with two users (WiFi calling and etc).

Hubby also owns his own business and is trying to find the best option so he can remain in contact.  I believe he plans on getting his thru AT&T.  He said it is $175 for 200 minutes and 200MB of data, just for his phone.

2 hours ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

Hubby also owns his own business and is trying to find the best option so he can remain in contact.  I believe he plans on getting his thru AT&T.  He said it is $175 for 200 minutes and 200MB of data, just for his phone.

We use the internet on the ship and put our phone in airplane mode but have wifi calling set up so we can still receive and make phone calls.  We use the AT&T plan for off ship @ $10/day if you have a business account with them.  We have done this the last two cruises on Royal Caribbean. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

Hubby  ... trying to find the best option so he can remain in contact ... plans on getting his thru AT&T ... $175 for 200 minutes and 200MB of data, just for his phone.

That is fine, as long as he re-confirm with AT&T that it is valid and usable onboard ships while at sea via the satellite ISP, and 200 MB can go very quickly with background updates, apps & cloud server/backup ops unknowingly running silently.  

AFAIK, practically all US-based ISP including VZW and AT&T or T-Mo do NOT include (roaming) satellite coverage at sea, unless these plans had been revised & changed recently to be more inclusive.  It is generally good for roaming while docked at non-US ports and over land pinging a tower, not over satellite. 

Look into "Google Fi" - coverage in 200 countries like being at home. 

Edited by mking8288

25 minutes ago, paperposter said:

on the bliss the internent basically didn't work at all when  I went in april. 

? ? ? Did you seek out help with the Internet Café Manager ?  ?  ?

If you paid for the service or it was part of a package perk NCL should have offered some OBC or other

compensation if it was a NCL problem.