A.M. Flight-Time Advice (Edge)

pa-annie

Just hit the 6 month mark for our 11/15 Edge cruise, flying out the 14th returning on the 24th.  Found a great round trip fair direct flight on JetBlue (FLL) to (BUF) departing at 9:55 a.m..  This is Thanksgiving week so this may be a factor as it relates to the number of travelers and longer airport lines. We have always had noon time flights out of FLL and have never had any issues, we have not booked a return flight this early in the morning. So .... are we cutting it too close?

Thanks much ...

You possibly could be.

FLL can be a zoo at times getting through security, especially in the morning and not allowing two (2) hours from check-in to boarding could be an issue if ship dis-embarkation is delayed for some reason or another.

Have a plan b in place just in case.

bon voyage

Do you have TSA Precheck?  We made it to FLL with time to spare for our 11:00 flight.  But FLL is always a zoo and will be worse Thanksgiving week.  It helps if you have TSA Precheck, do self embarkation and are among the first ones off with your luggage and can head straight to airport.  

Have a great cruise

5 minutes ago, mcolem2v said:

We had a 9:55 AM flight out of FLL when we got off the Edge.  It was stressful getting to the airport, but we made the flight.  I think you should be fine for your noon flight. 

Now factor in Thanksgiving holiday and increased number of travelers. 

1 hour ago, pa-annie said:

Just hit the 6 month mark for our 11/15 Edge cruise, flying out the 14th returning on the 24th.  Found a great round trip fair direct flight on JetBlue (FLL) to (BUF) departing at 9:55 a.m..  This is Thanksgiving week so this may be a factor as it relates to the number of travelers and longer airport lines. We have always had noon time flights out of FLL and have never had any issues, we have not booked a return flight this early in the morning. So .... are we cutting it too close?

Thanks much ...

IMO, yes. I believe you answered your own question. 

25 minutes ago, cricketgirl said:

Yes - much too close!

Esp Thanksgiving holiday time...better off with a later flight or staying over a day to get the earlier flight...

You can probably make it. We've arrived at the airport early enough several times that would have allowed us to catch a flight that early if we had one. Would I want to risk it? Probably not. 

The Thanksgiving travel fluff is not that concerning IMO. The hype about mass crowds that weekend is far overblown. Especially since it's still off-season in Florida. There are several days in the summer that are busier than Thanksgiving travel times.

Well, it's nothing I would want to experience. I remember the television commercials of many years ago with a guy running through an airport jumping luggage and such, arriving just as the passenger door was about to close.

Seriously, in my less than humble opinion, there is just WAY too much stress involved in making a flight like this happen. Too many variables involved in the equation and if we DON'T make it to the airport in time the stress level is multiplied many times over, waiting in line or on the phone, hoping to be booked on the next available flight, then finding out that because Thanksgiving is the busiest travel time of the year, there are no seats available, "until next Wednesday, sir. But that will give you time to work on your tan".

Not so much.

Life is too short to create stress for one's self. Others will do it for you without request.

• Like 1

OP is returning on the 24th......the Sunday BEFORE Thanksgiving.  That should not be an issue.

We disembarked from Summit in SJU in January.  Did self-walkoff and was at the airport gate (thru security) at 7:45 am.  But that was San Juan....and that was even during the government shutdown!

You must do self- walkoff from the ship.  Be early for the lineup and be one of the first off the ship.   You will have your luggage with you and hopefully will "sail" thru customs and into a cab. 

What are your options if you miss the flight?

We did self-walk-off from the Edge.  Got in line early, should have been all good.  Then there was a delay in the port so rather than beginning walk-off at 7 walk-off started about 8:15. 

These things don't happen often but for me 9:55 would be too stressful.

Is that a school holiday week?  People go all over that week to see relatives. We found that the worst trvl weeks are Thanksgiving and Christmas..esp if we have to go through Baltimore .

But if OP wants to give it a shot..why not?  We would be too stressed out..

Keep in mind, there are six ships in port that day, with a passenger load of 15,638. I'm guessing a good share of them will be flying home that day also. Them, plus the other travelers should bog down the airport. It could also put stress on your Plan B, if it is catching a later flight, less open seats, if any. Nobody can give you a definitive answer as there are too many variables, examine all your options, pick one and go with it.

59 minutes ago, weregoingcruising said:

Southwest rules state if your late 2 hours or less they will put you on stand by for next available flight.

I think OP said they were  looking at  Jet Blue.  

We try to stay over...much less stress the following morning,

Yes I understand there are numerous variables, really trying to get information regarding what the first disembarkation times for the Edge in FLL have been and suggestions how to get of the ship in the first wave.

Thanks all ...

Edited by pa-annie
error
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, pa-annie said:

Yes I understand there are numerous variables, really trying to get information regarding what the first disembarkation times for the Edge in FLL have been and suggestions how to get of the ship in the first wave.

Thanks all ...

Which really is a somewhat different question...

2 hours ago, pa-annie said:

Thanks all ...

We lined up on the edge at 6:00 AM and we were off the boat and through customs by 6:50.