Balcony gty...but sold out!

suzyed

We have a Balcony gty but all the balconies, minis and suites are sold out on our voyage.   I suppose after final payment some of them may open up? 
Has anyone else experienced this?

This is actually quite common.  Princess accepts both specific cabin and GTY bookings. When the combined total reaches some algorithm number; everything gets marked Sold Out. This leaves Princess enough rooms to assign the GTY bookings, as well as enough flex to shuffle upgrades where needed.

We don't know which if any cabins are not currently assigned. They may offer upsells if there are more of the higher categories than needed. They could offer a move over or move down offer to free up some cabins. They could do little or nothing if they are close to being able to fill all guarantees. 

There may be upsell, down sell or move over offers to make sure they take care of all the guarantees.  Princess almost always sails sold out or nearly sold out - they have it down to a science

We have a gty for a Premium Ocean View cabin for a cruise in October. I made the booking back in July of 2018. There are only 10 cabins of this type on the ship. When I booked, there was actually one still showing as available but I was able to book a gty anyway. Why you ask... I knew I'd get one of the 10 cabins or else an upgrade to a balcony. The remaining cabin sold the next day so they are all sold out. This isn't really a major category of cabin and agencies are hardly likely to have "snagged" any of these 10 cabins so I feel confident they really were actually sold. I have no idea how it will eventually play out but, as I said above, I know I'll either have the category I booked or else get an upgrade or an upsell offer. If the upsell is really a good deal I might take it but this 12 day cruise is already as expensive as many much longer cruises so I'm not anxious to spend more money. (The cheapest balcony cabin is now listed at $354 per person per night. Bleh...)

Edited by Thrak

41 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We have a gty for a Premium Ocean View cabin for a cruise in October. I made the booking back in July of 2018. There are only 10 cabins of this type on the ship. When I booked, there was actually one still showing as available but I was able to book a gty anyway. Why you ask... I knew I'd get one of the 10 cabins or else an upgrade to a balcony.

Princess could upsell any of the 10 cabins, and put you in it.

49 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We have a gty for a Premium Ocean View cabin for a cruise in October. I made the booking back in July of 2018. There are only 10 cabins of this type on the ship. When I booked, there was actually one still showing as available but I was able to book a gty anyway. Why you ask... I knew I'd get one of the 10 cabins or else an upgrade to a balcony. The remaining cabin sold the next day so they are all sold out. This isn't really a major category of cabin and agencies are hardly likely to have "snagged" any of these 10 cabpriins so I feel confident they really were actually sold. I have no idea how it will eventually play out but, as I said above, I know I'll either have the category I booked or else get an upgrade or an upsell offer. If the upsell is really a good deal I might take it but this 12 day cruise is already as expensive as many much longer cruises so I'm not anxious to spend more money. (The cheapest balcony cabin is now listed at $354 per person per night. Bleh...)

Wow that is a very expensive balcony price  We are doing a club class mini suite on a 15 day cruise for $210 per night -   but yes we booked it well over a year ago

7 minutes ago, memoak said:

Wow that is a very expensive balcony price  We are doing a club class mini suite on a 15 day cruise for $210 per night -   but yes we booked it well over a year ago

It’s because that particular cruise is a new itinerary. The prices started out much lower but rapidly rose as a lot of people starting booking it early.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

It’s because that particular cruise is a new itinerary. The prices started out much lower but rapidly rose as a lot of people starting booking it early.

But they were never low.... we also booked over a year ago.  It has been overpriced from the get go....we paid $197.50 per/person/night.

1 hour ago, richmke said:

Princess could upsell any of the 10 cabins, and put you in it.

Not a problem. As I said before, I'll either get the category I booked or get an upgrade or an upsell offer. Any of those are fine with me.

1 hour ago, memoak said:

We booked this 12 day cruise a long time ago as well. I originally booked a balcony and then waited for the Sip and Sail. Unlike many who were able to simply add the promo onto their existing booking for no extra cost, my cabin went up over $1,000 on the day the Sip and Sail was announced. I got disgusted and dropped the balcony for the Premium Ocean View and then waited for the 3 for Free promo. When that came out the dang POV cabin went way up. The cabin is already costing $241 per day per person (yes, this is for the Premium Ocean View) so I just kept the booking as it was rather than paying a bunch more for the 3 for Free. This was not my year for the promos to work out it seems.

Edited by Thrak

2 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

Thrak Don’t count yourself out... that elusive Move Over offer is still a possibility!   

Ahhh.... Well.... This is a 12 day Northern Lights cruise followed by 4 days in Barcelona and then a TA to Florida. It would be awkward to be offered a move over on this one. (Its also the first time Princess has done this cruise.)

Edited by Thrak

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

Ahhh.... Well.... This is a 12 day Northern Lights cruise followed by 4 days in Barcelona and then a TA to Florida. It would be awkward to be offered a move over on this one. (Its also the first time Princess has done this cruise.)

Same here.  We wouldn't accept a move over offer.