Solo Cabins

I just found out that the Harmony of the Seas has solo cabins. Does anyone have experience with these cabins? Does anyone know how to go about booking them? I have tried to book, choosing one cabin, one person, and I am directed to a regular cabin for up to 4 pers. This is a frist for me, so any advice will help. Thanks 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I have read here that those "studio" staterooms go very fast, so it's not surprising that you're not seeing them available.

Yes, I have read that too. But I am looking at something two years down the road... 

24 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

Harmony has 3 studio interiors and 12 studio ocean views. Are you looking for either of those room types?

Yes any of those will do. I am  just not sure how to find them online. There is no studio choice when reserving online. 

1 minute ago, Djaesmom said:

Yes any of those will do. I am  just not sure how to find them online. There is no studio choice when reserving online. 

It's possible they were snapped up as soon as bookings opened.

10 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

It's possible they were snapped up as soon as bookings opened.

Thank you. That is probably what happened. Would you know what the process would be to book a studio? Is that an option in the drop down box? I have not been able to find it anywhere yet. 

1 minute ago, Djaesmom said:

Thank you. That is probably what happened. Would you know what the process would be to book a studio? Is that an option in the drop down box? I have not been able to find it anywhere yet. 

Not from personal experience, but I would expect that when you enter only one guest, that should automatically provide studio choices, should they be available.

If you mention the sailing dates you are considering, I'll bet Ken can take a look at the travel agent website and confirm availability (or lack thereof).

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Not from personal experience, but I would expect that when you enter only one guest, that should automatically provide studio choices, should they be available.

If you mention the sailing dates you are considering, I'll bet Ken can take a look at the travel agent website and confirm availability (or lack thereof).

April 2021

3 minutes ago, Djaesmom said:

You select the sailing, and then the room type (Interior, Ocean View, etc) Once you select the room type you'll see the available cabins. For example, this is what I see for the February 7th, 2021 Harmony of the Seas Ocean View cabins:

hots_solo.PNG

1 hour ago, awestover89 said:

You select the sailing, and then the room type (Interior, Ocean View, etc) Once you select the room type you'll see the available cabins. For example, this is what I see for the February 7th, 2021 Harmony of the Seas Ocean View cabins:

hots_solo.PNG

Ok - thanks. I thought there would be a difference in the price. I have been reading up a lot on the studio cabins and was under the impression that they were somewhat cheaper than a room for 4 pers. Thanks again. 

Edited by Djaesmom

11 minutes ago, Djaesmom said:

Ok - thanks. I thought there would be a difference in the price. I have been reading up a lot on the studio cabins and was under the impression that they were somewhat cheaper than a room for 4 pers. Thanks again. 

Personally, I have never seen them cheaper. They are actually usually more expensive in my experience since there are so few of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, awestover89 said:

Personally, I have never seen them cheaper. They are actually usually more expensive in my experience since there are so few of them.

That's been my experience too. 

In addition to the extra space and similar price, an added bonus for a solo booking a non-studio suite is the extra cruise point per night

Use a travel agent. The best for finding information and booking. Not the cruise line. If I were single. I would certainly find someone to book with me. Double occupancy is a better deal and far more choices. They can separate the beds. Need privacy with someone. Just tell the other person not to go to the room for a few hours. Lock the door. Stick the sign out.

35 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

Rare but at times Cheaper, usually more likely happen when dates first come out. As they fill up prices go up for remaining cabins. Had several booked at one time including couple of the Studio Balcony on Quantum and Anthem. When booked those cabins 5-6yrs ago was actually lot cheaper then a double occupancy cabin. Now those are usually more when dates released...

Edited by ONECRUISER

But the advantage of the studio is that it is a cabin for one person, who pays only one fare. (in the example shown above $2051). If a single person were to book a non-studio cabin, he/she would have to pay the single supplement, which in many if not most cases is another entire fare. So the cost of that cabin, occupied by one passenger, would be $2051 + $2051 for a total of $4102. 

Hence the advantage of the solo or studio cabin.

2 minutes ago, Hootie&Pokey said:

But the advantage of the studio is that it is a cabin for one person, who pays only one fare. (in the example shown above $2051). If a single person were to book a non-studio cabin, he/she would have to pay the single supplement, which in many if not most cases is another entire fare. So the cost of that cabin, occupied by one passenger, would be $2051 + $2051 for a total of $4102. 

Hence the advantage of the solo or studio cabin.

This is true, in theory, but reports have indicated that many times the cost of a solo stateroom is the same (or more) than a solo paying a 200% single supplement in a non-studio stateroom.

6 minutes ago, Hootie&Pokey said:

So the cost of that cabin, occupied by one passenger, would be $2051 + $2051 for a total of $4102. 

That is rarely the case - in this example (Harmony 2/7/21) a regular OV is only $815pp or $1630 if a solo booked it with the 200% supplement - so even less than a solo cabin.

True indeed, Biker and Laura. I just sailed solo on Anthem myself in a regular inside for a reasonable price, including the single supplement. But I also booked within 90 days of sailing and got a great fare.

Of course, we all know that things change drastically by the law of supply and demand as Biker has shown. In my previous post I was trying to illustrate for the OP how the Idea or theory of the studio was that it would be cheaper by using the example fare that had been shown. We each have different ways of trying to maximize the reach of our dollars. For me, it is usually booking later, so those solo cabins have not been a good deal for me. But I can see how they may be the perfect solution for someone who books earlier or is more particular or is not as $$ conscious as I am. 

Just a side-note. Anthem  has solo balconies that are excellently priced if you can get them immediately upon release. I sailed for less than $`1,000.00 total during spring break (with $275 obc and free grats) in a studio balcony by booking immediately and then adding in the extras when I switched from a RCL to a TA booking. Don't give up hope, it can work out if you plan ahead. Quantum class is the only class I'm aware of with solo balconies if that interests you. 

55 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

This is true, in theory, but reports have indicated that many times the cost of a solo stateroom is the same (or more) than a solo paying a 200% single supplement in a non-studio stateroom.

This has not been my experience, and I've booked solo staterooms on three cruise lines. For an Alaska itinerary next year, the fare for an interior single on the Radiance (there are only three such cabins) was $950 on the day that booking opened. Today, a standard interior double booked as a single would be $1,918, and the cruise is more than a year away. I've also booked a single interior on Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam for $910 for seven days.

On Royal Caribbean, the single supplement for a double stateroom can be somewhat mitigated by booking when a special rate such as a discount for the second passenger is in effect -- RC also applies it to the single supplement -- but the solo passenger is still paying what two passengers together would pay for the same double.

Some NCL ships have a large number of studio cabins, all interior. Typically the fare is about 40% higher than the fare for each of two people in a double if booking well in advance and on the same day. One frequent poster on other boards writes about often getting a double as a single for less than the price of a studio, but she is comparing a last-minute booking for the double, when there are price cuts, with an advance booking for the studio.

I can't see that there is even a general rule for this. It depends on both the time of booking and the popularity of the sailing. What is noteworthy about Royal Caribbean is that there are ships with oceanview or balcony singles.

Edited by kochleffel

7 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Some NCL ships have a large number of studio cabins, all interior. Typically the fare is about 40% higher than the fare for each of two people in a double if booking well in advance and on the same day.

Breakway class ships (except the Joy) have these.  I booked just more than 3 months in advance and paid just under $800 (base fare) on a 6 night.

I've sailed in studio on both RCI (Anthem) and NCL (Bliss), I thought the Studio concept on NCL was done WAY better, when you consider the "enclave" of the studio cabins (86 of them on Bliss) and the lounge that's built in with them.  On RCI they felt like an afterthought, but I was also on that trip with family so I wasn't really paying attention to any possible "solo" activities like I was as a solo on NCL.