Butter on Carnival

sunonfire

14 minutes ago, Amadawn1 said:

$17.99?  For ONE?  😮 Maybe you can just take some butter from your table in the MDR and keep it in your stateroom frig?

$17.99 for 4.25lbs.  That's $4.23 a lb.   Not bad in my book, considering the convenience packaging, which always adds to the price of a product.

Eww.  Take butter from the MDR?  No thank you.

ETA: Just to be clear: I will not be taking the whole 4.25 pounds of butter on my cruise.  I mean, I like butter, but that's A LOT of butter!  The cruise is only 10 days, so I'll probably take just a quarter of the package.  And I'll freeze the rest for future individually-wrapped butter needs.:classic_biggrin:

Edited by ShakyBeef

3 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

$17.99 for 4.25lbs.  That's $4.23 a lb.   Not bad in my book, considering the convenience packaging, which always adds to the price of a product.

Eww.  Take butter from the MDR?  No thank you.

Well the good news is that at least butter can be frozen for an extended period of time.  Taking the trouble to travel with it?  For me, it's not that big of a deal.  Butter from the MDR was a suggested option, but only if you are not sitting at a shared table.  And the MDR butter tastes fine to me. 

Just now, Amadawn1 said:

Well the good news is that at least butter can be frozen for an extended period of time.  Taking the trouble to travel with it?  For me, it's not that big of a deal.  Butter from the MDR was a suggested option, but only if you are not sitting at a shared table.  And the MDR butter tastes fine to me. 

Yep, I'll be freezing the extra.  I forgot to mention that originally, and just edited to add it.  No big deal to travel with it in a small cooler.  We're driving to the port.  I do what I consider "worth it" to me to improve my cruise experience and try to counteract some of the cutbacks that have degraded the quality of that Carnival cruise experience over the years.

2 minutes ago, sprint180 said:

I have to say, I had no idea butter was such an important part of peoples lives.

Butter is not an important  part of my life.  For me, this is just one more little thing that has gotten worse about a Carnival cruise over the last few years.  And it's one more thing/cutback/change I can do something about - just like bringing my own decent teabags, a new mattress pad (which I leave behind each cruise), etc.

For the record, I was not part of any "outrage" over this butter thing.  I found out about the change here (thank you, CCers, for keeping me informed), and then simply looked into what I could do to mitigate the negative effects of this change on my cruise, and went forward with my plan.   Along the way, I am sharing information that might be useful to others who might want to do the same.  And entertainment for the rest of you.  You're welcome.:classic_dry:

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Butter is not an important  part of my life.  For me, this is just one more little thing that has gotten worse about a Carnival cruise over the last few years.  And it's one more thing/cutback/change I can do something about - just like bringing my own decent teabags, a new mattress pad (which I leave behind each cruise), etc.

For the record, I was not part of any "outrage" over this butter thing.  I found out about the change here (thank you, CCers, for keeping me informed), and then simply looked into what I could do to mitigate the negative effects of this change on my cruise, and went forward with my plan.   Along the way, I am sharing information that might be useful to others who might want to do the same.  And entertainment for the rest of you.  You're welcome.:classic_dry:

First chocolates now butter.....next what?  😀. I can see a business opportunity,  at embarkation selling butter pats outside the doors....

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

First chocolates now butter.....next what?  😀. I can see a business opportunity,  at embarkation selling butter pats outside the doors....

🤑🤑🤑 Good idea!  I mean, I do have at least 3 lbs of extra butter, about 1800 extra individually-wrapped plastic straws, and 450 extra Sugar in the Raw packets (I bought these already, and they both came in HUGE boxes with much much more than I will need🤣). 

I could put together and sell Cutback Mitigation Kits, right there at the Port:

• butter pats
  • Andes mints
  • Sugar in the Raw packets
  • coffee stirs
  • plastic straws
  • drink umbrellas (I actually have a box of these, too.  I bought them many years ago for home use)
  • Twinings and Bigelow teabags

I think we're onto something, here, Jimbo.  Wanna become a partner in this great business venture, since it was your brilliant idea?  We could make a fortune!🤑

Edited by ShakyBeef
spacing
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

🤑🤑🤑 Good idea!  I mean, I do have at least 3 lbs of extra butter, about 1800 extra individually-wrapped plastic straws, and 450 extra Sugar in the Raw packets (I bought these already, and they both came in HUGE boxes with much much more than I will need🤣). 

I could put together and sell Cutback Mitigation Kits, right there at the Port:

• butter pats
  • Andes mints
  • Sugar in the Raw packets
  • coffee stirs
  • plastic straws
  • drink umbrellas (I actually have a box of these, too.  I bought them many years ago for home use)
  • Twinings and Bigelow teabags

I think we're onto something, here, Jimbo.  Wanna become a partner in this great business venture, since it was your brilliant idea?  We could make a fortune!🤑

You know something, it could work.....😉

• Like 2

On 5/22/2019 at 8:54 PM, Doggielover68 said:

No cook on earth that doesn't want to use refrigerated eggs? Are you kidding me? Check every restaurant in this country. The eggs and butter are in the fridge. Butter is one thing, but eggs can contain salmonella which multiplies at room temperature. The only time you use room temperature eggs is for certain recipes in which you bring them to room temperature by taking them out of the fridge for a safe length of time. 

Margarine isn't as bad as the internet makes it seem. The pro it has over butter is that often times, it has healthy unsaturated fat added in. Butter is full of saturated fat and calories. Neither product is "healthy" though. 

Actually....if eggs are never refrigerated they don't need to be. Once they are cooled however, they must stay cooled.  Very interesting fact lol

10 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Maybe we adjust the name tho....

No problem.  How about Carnival Cutback Alleviation Kits?:classic_dry:

We're gonna be RICH!!!🤑  Just think, the more Carnival cuts back, the more we add to our inventory, the more desirable our product becomes, and the more money we make!  Considering Carnival's cutback track record, the potential for our profit is practically endless.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I heard Vermont butter is the best...

Not as good as Irish butter, IMO.  I wish I could find a supply of individually-wrapped Kerrygold pats locally to take on my cruise.

• Like 1

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

Actually agree on this point

Wow, that makes at least half a dozen points upon which we have agreed over the last decade, Jimbo!   Maybe we have enough in common to be successful business partners after all.

1 minute ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I don't have a Costco anywhere near me.:classic_sad:  I'm limited to Sysco and Sam's Club for this type of thing.  Although I think that might be the same butter that I'll be getting from Sysco.

Yeah... doesn't matter... Costco had "Darigold" butter... not Kerrygold, so I edited my post.

Doing a quick search, I don't think Kerrygold sells pats of butter here in the USA.  Their web site does not show it being available either.

Perhaps, I may interest you in some Vermont butter... ?  😂

1 minute ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Yeah... doesn't matter... Costco had "Darigold" butter... not Kerrygold, so I edited my post.

Doing a quick search, I don't think Kerrygold sells pats of butter here in the USA.  Their web site does not show it being available either.

Perhaps, I may interest you in some Vermont butter... ?  😂

I have had Vermont butter and agree that it is very good.  But if I were choosing my favourite butter to take, it would be Irish butter.

I did the online search for Kerrygold sold individually, too, and came up with the same lack of results.:classic_sad:  I have had individually-wrapped Kerrygold pats at U.S. as well as Bahamian restaurants.  I know the Bahamas gets UK imports that we can't necessarily get here in the U.S. (such as the cheese that is required to make authentic Bahamian mac & cheese🤤).  But since I've seen Kerrygold pats in the U.S., I was originally hoping I could find a local supply of it. 

Oh well.  Not a big deal.  I can buy sticks of it here for home uses and take my generic non-Irish butter from Sysco on the cruise.  

28 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Wow, that makes at least half a dozen points upon which we have agreed over the last decade, Jimbo!   Maybe we have enough in common to be successful business partners after all.

It is disconcerting how many there have been.........

• Haha 1