Butter on Carnival

sunonfire

42 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

If they're not policing the chair hogs, they're not policing the butter.

Then it's selective policing calculated on a cost/benefit basis otherwise there would be no bacon police on Carnival. SAD!!  😂

1 hour ago, sanmarcosman said:

Then it's selective policing calculated on a cost/benefit basis otherwise there would be no bacon police on Carnival. SAD!!  😂

Wait...there's BACON POLICE?!?

2 hours ago, Sean_B said:

Wait...there's BACON POLICE?!?

Yes, at the lido buffet there is a person stationed at the bacon pan to dole it out. This position was created 6 years ago and the term " bacon police " was coined right here on Cruise Critic. 😉

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Yes, at the lido buffet there is a person stationed at the bacon pan to dole it out. This position was created 6 years ago and the term " bacon police " was coined right here on Cruise Critic. 😉

Ok, so how much bacon do the bacon police let you have? I'm accustomed to having four pieces with my two scrambled eggs at home (keto diet). Do I need to sit and go back for seconds?

12 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

Ok, so how much bacon do the bacon police let you have? I'm accustomed to having four pieces with my two scrambled eggs at home (keto diet). Do I need to sit and go back for seconds?

Nope, you just keep saying gimme (please) until you have what you want/need.

You may be happy/unhappy to know they do not serve blank on a shingle like they do in the navy.

Edited by sanmarcosman

55 minutes ago, htkodiak said:

Having worked in food service for many years we used to whip butter and ice water to bulk it up.You can almost double the weight.Not saying they do this but....

It tastes more like vegetable oil with salt, a sweetener, and some yellow food dye.  I sincerely doubt it started life as butter.

• Like 1

I think this is all a "crock" However, I hate the wrapped butter. No way to remove it without it getting on you fingers. It is either rock hard or super soft. Several ships that we have cruised on do it differently. One puts it as a solid in a bowl and you remove what ever you want with there knife or a spoon supplied. Difficult to get it off of the knife or spoon. No additional contamination than anything else on a buffet. Other ships have squares in a bowl. Same in the MDR. You use a small tong to remove as many as you want. I like that one. About 1/2 in square maybe larger. The bowl is kept in a cooled container. (Not in the MDR) Never rock hard and never super soft. Just about perfect every time. I would like to see that on all the ships. 

On 5/26/2019 at 7:18 AM, Retired_to_Cruise said:

Sorry, but on the Conquest 2 weeks ago, there were little bowls, just like the ones used for cream cheese, on the sneeze guard shelf right above the butter bowl. We took the bowls and spooned the butter we wanted into them and put them on our plate. 

OK. They did not have that on Horizon (also this month). Thanks.

On 5/26/2019 at 4:23 PM, sanmarcosman said:

You may be happy/unhappy to know they do not serve blank on a shingle like they do in the navy.

Sorry, Canadian Navy; no ****, no shingles. Our food doesn't come out of a can from 1944 and it's not all locked up at 1900, causing the midnight watch to starve. Our cooks have actual chef papers.

49 minutes ago, petro772 said:

John Heald won’t let me comment on his blogs anymore because I criticized the butter spoons.

He always posts to indicate how much he enjoys free speech on his page while allowing the KAN to attack people who provide negative feedback. It’s strange that you have been banned along with other people for criticizing this butter topic.

On 5/22/2019 at 8:54 PM, Doggielover68 said:

No cook on earth that doesn't want to use refrigerated eggs? Are you kidding me? Check every restaurant in this country. The eggs and butter are in the fridge. Butter is one thing, but eggs can contain salmonella which multiplies at room temperature. The only time you use room temperature eggs is for certain recipes in which you bring them to room temperature by taking them out of the fridge for a safe length of time. 

Margarine isn't as bad as the internet makes it seem. The pro it has over butter is that often times, it has healthy unsaturated fat added in. Butter is full of saturated fat and calories. Neither product is "healthy" though. 

Actually, if you use eggs straight from the chicken you shouldn't refrigerate them.  You have to refrigerate the ones from the store because the protective coating on the eggs is washed off before they are ready for sale.

On 5/22/2019 at 10:23 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

I'm trying to get worked up about this, but I guess I really don't care.  Is this because Carnival wants to save money? Ok. Are the wrappers really clogging disposals? Ok. I seriously don't think it will have any effect on my cruise. I only user butter at breakfast for my grits

I'm with you.  If this is the worst part of your cruise then money well spent. 😄

• 2 months later...

PSA for those that want to take your own butter on your cruise:

I was at the Lankford Sysco Cash-&-Carry yesterday, and found this:

IMAG0568.jpg?t=1565876370

I asked the check-out lady if it is a regularly-stocked item.  She said, yes, they always have it.

So now I know in what form I will be taking my real, individually-wrapped butter pats onboard in January, and from where I will be buying them.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

PSA for those that want to take your own butter on your cruise:

I was at the Lankford Sysco Cash-&-Carry yesterday, and found this:

IMAG0568.jpg?t=1565876370

I asked the check-out lady if it is a regularly-stocked item.  She said, yes, they always have it.

So now I know in what form I will be taking my real, individually-wrapped butter pats onboard in January, and from where I will be buying them.:classic_biggrin:

$17.99?  For ONE?  😮 Maybe you can just take some butter from your table in the MDR and keep it in your stateroom frig?