Azamara pricing

Jimmycruiser

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:39 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

The way pricing has been recently I think Azamara is very reasonable if you wait until after final payment. I’ll give you an example. We wanted to do the Norway cruise and had seen that it’s price tended to stay high (this was before they bought Pursuit), so we booked it for July 2019 whilst onboard in autumn 2017. It was very expensive, but we got 4 free days because we had just gone up an LCV level and we got 5% LCV discount. That brought the price for this 16 night cruise down to £8600 for the two of us for an OV cabin.

Its now less than 5 weeks to the cruise and we could get the same category of cabin for £5600. 

I’m not sure we’ll be booking onboard in future!

Ouch!!!

On 5/27/2019 at 8:57 AM, Cruise Junky said:

I don't find Azamara reasonable at all.  The size of their cabins is a joke. When I book Regent or Crystal I'm getting twice as much square footage. I'd never in a million years pay that amount of $$$ for 175 sq ft hotel room.  Not sure where you're doing your price comparing but I've found Crystal to be quite reasonable compared to Azamara and as mentioned, you don't have to deal with their laughable wines on offer.

Hi Cruise Junky, I recall you cancelled a booked AZ sometime in the past year, didn't you? There's no AZ cruise listed in your signature so am wondering if you have sailed with us, and if so, which ship/cruise date? 

Just now, BBMacLaird said:

Hi Cruise Junky, I recall you cancelled a booked AZ sometime in the past year, didn't you? There's no AZ cruise listed in your signature so am wondering if you have sailed with us, and if so, which ship/cruise date? 

Yes, I did cancel it earlier this year...you'll recall it took about 2 months for them to find my deposit and refund it.   Do I need to have sailed on an Azamara ship to find that over a $1,000 a day is too much for 150sq feet around Spain?

12 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Yes, I did cancel it earlier this year...you'll recall it took about 2 months for them to find my deposit and refund it.   Do I need to have sailed on an Azamara ship to find that over a $1,000 a day is too much for 150sq feet around Spain?

I am just wondering since in post #12 you say "you don't have to deal with their laughable wines on offer". That complaint sounds like you have first-hand experience onboard AZ and were unhappy with the complimentary wines on offer.

Since you haven't sailed with us, and by the sounds of it you don't have plans to sail with us, it makes me wonder why you spend so much time on our forum criticising our line? Do you have a grudge I can address and try to rectify?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

I am just wondering since in post #12 you say "you don't have to deal with their laughable wines on offer". That complaint sounds like you have first-hand experience onboard AZ and were unhappy with the complimentary wines on offer.

Since you haven't sailed with us, and by the sounds of it you don't have plans to sail with us, it makes me wonder why you spend so much time on our forum criticising our line? Do you have a grudge I can address and try to rectify?

Your included wines and beer have been posted here numerous times.  Do you think they stand up in comparison to Regent and Crystal?   Your prices do, but your onboard amenities, including older ships and cabin sizes certainly don't seem to.  I would honestly like to try Azamara but your current prices are eye watering.  What has been most disappointing is your blatant lying of sales.  You advertise balconies for the price of an inside but you increase the price of the inside to the price of a balcony.  That's deceitful and probably why you don't offer it in the UK, it's illegal. 

So do I have a grudge?  not a grudge, but honestly, you've (azamara) annoyed me a number of times.  The switch in pricing on the day that Pursuit was released.  We jumped through hoops changing a land trip to Greece only to see prices jumping thousands an hour or so after release. You've taken 2 months to return a deposit that I made because you couldn't find it.  Sailings that I would long to do but even though I alone make six figures, I can't afford an inside cabin only to see them on a fire sale a year later is disappointing.   Yet, yes, I still hang around and occasionally post on the Azamara page in eternal hope someone comes to their senses with this line.

Edited by Cruise Junky

You've never actually sailed on Azamara?  Posting things like “the wines are laughable” when you haven’t even tasted them is not at all helpful to people coming here for considered opinions.  Many of the reds on offer at the moment are pretty good as is the rose.  They aren’t laughable.  Can’t answer for the whites.  It certainly seems like you have an axe to grind.  If it were me I’d be expending my energy more positively and moving on.

Phil

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

You've never actually sailed on Azamara?  Posting things like “the wines are laughable” when you haven’t even tasted them is not at all helpful to people coming here for considered opinions.  Many of the reds on offer at the moment are pretty good as is the rose.  They aren’t laughable.  Can’t answer for the whites.  It certainly seems like you have an axe to grind.  If it were me I’d be expending my energy more positively and moving on.

Phil

I find the choice of 2 red, 2 whites, 1 rose and 1 sparkling to be laughable on a cruise line that is asking the prices that Azamara does.  You can call it whatever you like, I'm sticking to my original post. And their beer choices are abysmal. 

Well done Bonnie.  To denigrate the line without ever travelling with it is ludicrous.  My husband and I drink red wine exclusively and have always found one we enjoy. I love this forum for tips and providing feedback to Azamara.  

10 minutes ago, Whitby100 said:

Well done Bonnie.  To denigrate the line without ever travelling with it is ludicrous.  My husband and I drink red wine exclusively and have always found one we enjoy. I love this forum for tips and providing feedback to Azamara.  

Why are you focused on wine when the conversation is about pricing?   When I am asked to pay $1,250 cdn a day for a basic balcony, I expect better wines than what are currently offered.  My opinion. Your view may vary. I hold a WSET Advanced Level 3 in wine.  Wine is important to me. 

Edited by Cruise Junky

1 hour ago, uktog said:

To change the conversation slightly the old Cutty Sark has sailed and the Famous Grouse has flown onto the Journey menus this week 

If that's permanent it will make me very happy.

Edited by Bloodaxe

When I started this thread I was hoping for a honest, objective discussion not opinionated and biased comments from an angry 19,000 plus poster who has never experienced the AZ intimacy or atmosphere. Cruise Junky may have a legitimate beef but none I have experienced. I like to deal direct with AZ not thru a TA and when we had to cancel one reservation we got our refund in 5 days. Two other times we saved a considerable amount just prior to final payment with their price guarantee and both times their CS were excellent and this last time we got an additional $600 OBC we were not expecting. As I have said, we are disappointed with their misleading sales and included wines but we enjoy local wines brought on board and their wine sales and wine packages are reasonable. Still want to try a luxury line and will keep looking. 

Not sure I understand the comment about not booking on board early since we get extra OBC, get the suite we want, and with 50% off cancellation only risk $150 US if they do not drop price before final payment and we decide to cancel, which has only happened once out of the last 4 cruises.

Sorry to have hit a nerve on this thread.

When I started this thread I was hoping for a honest, objective discussion not opinionated and biased comments from an angry 19,000 plus poster who has never experienced the AZ intimacy or atmosphere. Cruise Junky may have a legitimate beef but none I have experienced. I like to deal direct with AZ not thru a TA and when we had to cancel one reservation we got our refund in 5 days. Two other times we saved a considerable amount just prior to final payment with their price guarantee and both times their CS were excellent and this last time we got an additional $600 OBC we were not expecting. As I have said, we are disappointed with their misleading sales and included wines but we enjoy local wines brought on board and their wine sales and wine packages are reasonable. Still want to try a luxury line and will keep looking. 

Not sure I understand the comment about not booking on board early since we get extra OBC, get the suite we want, and with 50% off cancellation only risk $150 US if they do not drop price before final payment and we decide to cancel, which has only happened once out of the last 4 cruises.

Edited by Jimmycruiser
Duplicate post!!

1 hour ago, Jimmycruiser said:

The poster that spoke of booking on-board is from the UK where Azamara has a whole different set of booking rules. 

As for your other comments, I gave an honest answer and I’m not angry, I’m disappointed.   If I came across angry to Bonnie, then I apologize to her.  But to suggest someone shouldn’t comment on price if they haven’t sailed is just silly. Don’t people normally consider price before buying something? And really, does anyone here think $1,250 per day for V3 balcony in the Med is reasonable? 

8 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

I hold a WSET Advanced Level 3 in wine.  Wine is important to me. 

Honestly, comments like this (and having a six figure salary) just make me roll my eyes. To try and justify ones comments or that one is more discerning than others?  With your knowledge of wines then I don't think you'd ever be happy on Azamara, unless perhaps you paid for the Ultimate Beverage Package. And then still no guarantee. 

Phil 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, uktog said:

It’s shown in the updated printed menus so I’d say permanent 

I hope they have it on Pursuit next month, at last some good news, a long overdue improvement I M O.

Edited by Bloodaxe

11 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

I find the choice of 2 red, 2 whites, 1 rose and 1 sparkling to be laughable on a cruise line that is asking the prices that Azamara does.  

It’s actually considerably more than 2 red & 2 white as the offers for other days are also usually available.

10 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Your view may vary. I hold a WSET Advanced Level 3 in wine.  Wine is important to me. 

Like others, we have always been happy with the included wines. I’m really not sure how you can know that you wouldn’t like them as Azamara doesn’t advertise which wines they offer and you’ve never been onboard. If you’re basing it on the average price base, then I am told by our friend, who is a Wine Master, that price is no indication of quality. He buys a lot of wine from Aldi (a discount store whose wines regularly win gold medals). Like you, wine is very important to him, he buys wine from all over the world wherever he is. He judges wine by the taste, after he’s tried it.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

I hope they have it on Pursuit next month, at last some good news, a long overdue improvement I M O.

We were on the Pursuit Rio to Lisbon recently and can confirm that Famous Grouse was indeed listed and available on the list of included spirits.

To Cruise Junky FYI For a 13 night Med cruise next Year the price including fees and taxes in a V3 is $980 per day US which is 175 sf + 40 sf balcony. For a CC suite it is $1165 per day US which is 266 sf + 60 sf balcony and includes a lot of amenities. This does not including OBC which of course varies.

• Like 1

We swapped a 15 night Middle East cruise on Celebrity Constellation in Aqua (with free drinks package) for an 11 night one on Quest in a CC suite for the same price due to timing issues. Admittedly we lost 4 days but there’s a world of difference between Celebrity Aqua and Azamara suites.

We always shop around but always try and compare eggs with eggs and with the odd exception, due to offers, Azamara seem to fall into the same pricing as Oceania and Viking. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmycruiser said:

To Cruise Junky FYI For a 13 night Med cruise next Year the price including fees and taxes in a V3 is $980 per day US which is 175 sf + 40 sf balcony. For a CC suite it is $1165 per day US which is 266 sf + 60 sf balcony and includes a lot of amenities. This does not including OBC which of course varies.

I’m not sure what your point is, I quoted you in Canadian and it’s not the Med Cruise I’m interested in. 

2 hours ago, Riocca said:

We always shop around but always try and compare eggs with eggs and with the odd exception, due to offers, Azamara seem to fall into the same pricing as Oceania and Viking. 

Same--although I struggle to compare with Viking as they include cattle-call excursions in their fares in which I am not interested. Az and O seem pretty close in price. i quite like O and will be new to Az this November.

6 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

It’s actually considerably more than 2 red & 2 white as the offers for other days are also usually available.

They really should change their wording if that’s the case. Change it to a selection of wines by the glass are offered. 2 reds, 2 whites sounds cheap and limiting. 

Well, I have found this thread somewhat enlightening, and it certainly has piqued my curiosity even more.  We get to make our own decision in just a few more days.

Thank you all for your comments prior to our first Azamara cruise, after 125 others, on various cruise lines.  When we get back I'll try to express our opinion on Azamara, based on our expectations and how they were met, exceeded, or failed.

NRayH