Azamara pricing

Jimmycruiser

1 hour ago, Globehoppers said:

Guys, its just not the cabin dimensions.  Layout is very important and maybe the most important in overall ambience.  Sailing Azamara is like coming home, maybe also a bit like "Cheers" where "everyone knows your name."  Actually happened to us embarking Quest in :with for a Norway cruise.  Ir was about 8pm after a long day of touring and we were the only ones arriving at that time.  Encountered the hotel director on the pier helping a couple disembark, an officer we had sailed with previously, and he remembered and greeted us by name.  It had about a year...  Additionally, Crystal is still enamored with ocean liner faux "Black Tie" dining where Azamara is much more modern.  The crew can make all the difference and when Azamara stops being "home away from home" we may select an alternative small ship.  FYI - we primarily select cruises based on itinerary then ship then cabin.  Thus sail a variety of cruise lines.  

There are definitely a lot of determining factors when choosing a cruise line thats for sure. The ambience and the fit are paramount, no one wants to spend thousands and feel like a fish out of water.  So I completely agree, it’s not all about the size of the cabin, but when spending $1250 a day, I would be very disappointed to find out I had 143sq ft they are tiny. It’s a common complaint about the R class ships. They can get into a tiny uncluttered port, but you don’t have much real estate. We have friends that flat out refuse to sail them. They’ve switched pretty much 100% to Seabourn which is odd as the ship is smaller, but not the cabins. 

This started as a price discussion, not which line makes you feel at home. I have no doubt the staff are wonderful.   You can get a hell of a lot elsewhere for the prices that Azamara wants. I used Spain as an example because it’s a fairly inexpensive Country to get around and food and wine is exceptional at fairly low prices.  

When called out for basically lying, I will correct the poster but I think I’ve said all that can be said on Azamara pricing and where she stands amoung the luxury lines. Azamara, $1250 a day for Spain, Regent $800 a day for Tahiti....there’s a problem with that. 

3 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

There are definitely a lot of determining factors when choosing a cruise line thats for sure. The ambience and the fit are paramount, no one wants to spend thousands and feel like a fish out of water.  So I completely agree, it’s not all about the size of the cabin, but when spending $1250 a day, I would be very disappointed to find out I had 143sq ft they are tiny. It’s a common complaint about the R class ships. They can get into a tiny uncluttered port, but you don’t have much real estate. We have friends that flat out refuse to sail them. They’ve switched pretty much 100% to Seabourn which is odd as the ship is smaller, but not the cabins. 

This started as a price discussion, not which line makes you feel at home. I have no doubt the staff are wonderful.   You can get a hell of a lot elsewhere for the prices that Azamara wants. I used Spain as an example because it’s a fairly inexpensive Country to get around and food and wine is exceptional at fairly low prices.  

When called out for basically lying, I will correct the poster but I think I’ve said all that can be said on Azamara pricing and where she stands amoung the luxury lines. Azamara, $1250 a day for Spain, Regent $800 a day for Tahiti....there’s a problem with that. 

So you're saying that it IS all about the size of the cabin.  Maybe you should just find a line with cabin size that suits you and give it a rest here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Cruise Junky, the issue I have with your posts is that they are all based upon hearsay rather than actual experience and all this does is misinform people who come here for objective facts. For that reason and as long as you keep on with being the "armchair expert" I and others here will challenge you. 

A case in point. You state that the cat 08s and their 143 sq ft are "tiny". Have you ever stayed in one?  I have and whilst the square footage is smaller, they are actually nicely set up and because of their aspect feel roomier than they are and in some ways (eg closet access) better than standard. I'd stay in one again. I've attached some photos below which doesn't demonstrate them as tiny. As long as you can deal without a sofa and table they are fine. And if you pick a cabin at any of the "corners" of category then you won't have such an obstructed view. This was cabin 6046.  

Just another point. You mocked Jimmycruiser for their knowledge of Azamara R-Class ships saying one has to book a cat 07 and above to get 170+ sq ft. Cat 07 doesn't in fact exist on Azamara.  Another misinformation. 

Phil 

5C886C67-A61C-4DE0-A530-BFE845D47927.jpeg

A9F19610-E529-455D-8A62-0A2D44EEDF9C.jpeg

B7A202F8-E5E2-4472-9D73-1272126D50B5.jpeg

D0635DFA-B1C1-4F0B-A102-8A9434D5F31F.jpeg

• Like 8

Thanks Phil for the cat. 08 pictures, we've booked one on our upcoming Quest cruise.

We were very pleased having stayed in one on the Oceania Regatta and the cabin didn't feel 'tiny' at all.

John

Phil, I was actually confused on cat 7 and still am. Some deck plans show a category  7 and some don’t. Does one ship have them and the others don’t?  Weird, as I agree I didn’t think 7 existed either and was going to say 6 until I did a quick search. 

273F06CC-1599-49CB-A3E8-8B0953FB3B9F.png

Edited by Cruise Junky

Agree with Phil about Obstructed view cabin. We also feel that the layout is better for us and didn't miss the sofa. We were allocated one of these on a guarantee booking last year and subsequently actually booked one by choice for this year. On a port intensive  cruise its of no consquence that the window is obstructed.  Until you stay in one its better to reserve judgement.

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

Phil, I was actually confused on cat 7 and still am. Some deck plans show a category  7 and some don’t. Does one ship have them and the others don’t?  Weird, as I agree I didn’t think 7 existed either and was going to say 6 until I did a quick search. 

There are definitely no cat 07s on any Azamara ship.

Phil

C13E0EAC-B255-4052-8345-74CE55807915.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belfastman said:

Cat 07 is listed as an ocean view in the current brochure on the stateroom description pages.

Phantom cabins 😜. Thanks for pointing that out. 

Phil, you and others keep pointing out that I haven’t sailed Azamara...but isn’t that who they should be trying to attract? They have you, they need the people that make a good income, love cruising, want to try another line. We can only go by what’s online. We see prices like $1250 a day for what they tell you in black and white is 143 sq ft, most consumers are going to say thanks but no thanks and move on. Azamara “can” have good sales if you’re patient to wait around for them but most people just move on and find something else. If their prices where more realistic upon release they wouldn’t have to have as many fire sales at or close to final payment, which we’ve seen time and time again annoy their loyal clients. 

I will bow out of this thread now as we can keep beating a dead horse until the cows come home. 

5 hours ago, Belfastman said:

Cat 07 is listed as an ocean view in the current brochure on the stateroom description pages.

Ok, I’m not going to go into a back and forth on cabin categories, but there are no cat 07s on the deck plan or to book as a guest.  The description page is in error.  It is detailing window cabins that are no longer passenger staterooms that used to be on deck 3 and have portholes.  They were category 7s.  These are now crew cabins.  Mystery solved!

Phil

• Like 1

Cruise Junky: Your comments on both A as well as Luxury or other near luxury cruise lines are weak as you've never cruised on them according to your signature. If you want credibility, cruise on a line so that your comments have legitimacy. 

• Like 4

The first time I sailed Azamara I booked a guarantee obstructed oceanview to save myself about $2,000. I was used to balconies on Celebrity so took a deep breath before I opened the door to Cabin 6036, which was positioned between two lifeboats so had somewhat of a view, like Phil’s cabin.

I must admit that I really liked this cabin so much that I booked it again. Like Phil said, it is very well laid out and I found it cozy, not cramped at all. Of course, I travel alone and will say it might be a little tight for two people. (Although several couples I met had obstructed OV cabins and were fine with them.) You do have to be careful though, when dressing, to close the curtains as the crew often is right outside the window cleaning the lifeboats.😱😱

And BTW, the quality and comfort of the bed and linens on Azamara more than made up for any size deficiency compared to Celebrity! 

Anne

• Like 5

6 hours ago, dabear said:

Cruise Junky: Your comments on both A as well as Luxury or other near luxury cruise lines are weak as you've never cruised on them according to your signature. If you want credibility, cruise on a line so that your comments have legitimacy. 

I know I said I was done, but I do hate being baited.  Why oh why must someone sail on a premium line to comment on their pricing? (Notice I didn’t use the word luxury, that’s not Azamara, that’s Regent, Seabourn Etc...that I do have booked by the way.) Must you buy a house and live in it before commenting if it presents value to you?the argument is silly. I’ve experienced some of the great hotels of the world, I am their market whether I’ve sailed a competitor or not. Would I pay $1250 for Azamara when I can book Le Sirenuse for $1,000? Cruises, hotels, they’re all competition. 

Azamara has a great fan club, I get that. But what they’re presenting to the uninitiated does not present value on a lot of their sailings. 

Edited by Cruise Junky

3 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

I know I said I was done, but I do hate being baited.  Why oh why must someone sail on a premium line to comment on their pricing? (Notice I didn’t use the word luxury, that’s not Azamara, that’s Regent, Seabourn Etc...that I do have booked by the way.) Must you buy a house and live in it before commenting if it presents value to you?the argument is silly. I’ve experienced some of the great hotels of the world, I am their market whether I’ve sailed a competitor or not. Would I pay $1250 for Azamara when I can book Le Sirenuse for $1,000? Cruises, hotels, they’re all competition. 

Azamara has a great fan club, I get that. But what they’re presenting to the uninitiated does not present value on a lot of their sailings. 

You appear to be captivated by the trappings of luxury.  If so, you will be a perfect mark for Regent.  Just don't expect warm, personal service.  To some of us, that's the most important criterion for judging "luxury"...and value.  Not trappings.

Enjoy Regent.  A good fit for someone like you, I'd say.

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

However be careful, the experience cannot have unlimited value.  And how do you know that other options might not give you an alternative experience that is just as enjoyable although different.  Whilst Cruise Junky makes many points I do not agree with, it is true that there can be a "blinkered loyalty."  

Pricing and the lack of hard recognition of loyalty (soft recognition onboard can be different) is driving many away.  Will it be better elsewhere - well if you don't try you won't know!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, uktog said:

However be careful, the experience cannot have unlimited value.  And how do you know that other options might not give you an alternative experience that is just as enjoyable although different.  Whilst Cruise Junky makes many points I do not agree with, it is true that there can be a "blinkered loyalty."  

Pricing and the lack of hard recognition of loyalty (soft recognition onboard can be different) is driving many away.  Will it be better elsewhere - well if you don't try you won't know!

Absolutely spot on Ann! 

1 hour ago, uktog said:

I've tried Regent.  Twice.  Seven weeks worth.  Two different ships.  So I do know.  There's more to "luxury" than square footage and this included wine vs. that.

And I think I've made clear my feeling about Azamara devaluing loyalty.  Different discussion.  My looking elsewhere is a loyalty issue, not a luxury one. 

And mine is a loyalty and UK pricing issue plus the level of itinerary changes some very late in for reasons that there is not full transparency about. 

2 hours ago, uktog said:

True, but then there’s always that worry - will it be as good, will we enjoy it as much.

Its strange because we very rarely go back to the same hotel, or even area, twice when on land holidays.  At least that was the case until very recently  when we found a wonderful small family hotel in Greece where, as with Azamara, we feel welcomed and part of the family.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

There are many excellent cruise lines out there. Part of the special treatment some of us get on Azamara is because they know us so well. If you asked a first or second timer on Azamara about the great  personal service you may get a different view from someone with 20 cruises under their belt. 

If you build up loyalty with other cruise lines and they get to know you well then I think a similar level of  service might apply. 

Viking and Silversea have great service levels and I feel very comfortable on their beautiful ships but yes, it isn't quite like the "welcome home" for me on Azamara. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lottie A said:

There are many excellent cruise lines out there. Part of the special treatment some of us get on Azamara is because they know us so well. If you asked a first or second timer on Azamara about the great  personal service you may get a different view from someone with 20 cruises under their belt. 

If you build up loyalty with other cruise lines and they get to know you well then I think a similar level of  service might apply. 

Viking and Silversea have great service levels and I feel very comfortable on their beautiful ships but yes, it isn't quite like the "welcome home" for me on Azamara. 

For us I don’t think it is about the number of cruises we’ve done on Azamara - we felt welcome and at home on our very first Azamara cruise and have felt the same ever since.

So did I HGC. My first Azamara cruise was in 2010 and I felt welcome and completely at home from the first hour I stepped onboard. 

Thst is not what I was saying. There is no doubt in my mind that some of us "frequent cruisers" on the Forum ARE treated with extra special consideration onboard. My friend Mrs Miggins, who is currently onboard Pursuit has spoken to me about this recently. It's lovely ....and so kind of the crew but my point was that a new cruiser to Azamara may not experience this at first . The service will still be very welcoming and excellent of course but it may not be as "special" as those of us who are fortunate enough to be very well known to the crew. That's just human nature. 

Surely this would be the same on any cruise line? 

12 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

I consider A to be a near luxury line in competition with Oceania and Crystal; It's not a luxury line. I do agree that $1250 /day for A is very high, but that's not what most pax pay. On our next cruise were staying in a VX cabin for less than $700/day for 2. I am amazed at some of the recent prices quoted for Regent and Oceania. One has to be smart, look for sales, early booking (which we mostly do to get our choice of cabins) & not be a blind cheerleader for any cruise line or they may be overpaying. Also, as many posters have said, the size of the cabin is only one of many factors in choosing a cruiseline. Again, though, cruising on a line is still the best way to evaluate & provide opinions about it. Two pax can be on the same ship, one loves it & the other doesn't.

Edited by dabear

I wanted to give a shout out to the Azamara Customer Service reps that seem to get a bad rap on this board. Today was a great example when I found the new sale promotion applied to a 15 night cruise we had booked for next year in a N2 suite. I waited maybe 5 minutes to talk to a rep and within a minute she had repriced our reservation with a significant reduction and we kept the same room. This was a Monday morning when I thought the wait time would be long.

This is now three for three that before final payment they reduced pricing significantly with no loss of OBC and kept same room with absolutely no hassle. We book direct with AZ since we have had several hassles with TA’s and delayed communication issues and although we may lose a little OBC and other small perks the ease of dealing direct has been worth it to me. We book at least 12 to 18 months ahead to get the location and suite we want and with their low deposit and cancellation fees make it easy for us. We live in the US which may make a difference.

• Like 2