First Alaskan cruise—what to wear onboard

twentyknots

Our first Alaskan cruise sails on June 2.  We are packing now and feel comfortable with our clothing choices for dinner each night and for excursions, however dressing for activities onboard during the day are questionable for us.  All of our cruises to date have been in warm weather so shorts were basic attire during the day.  I'm sure the ship will keep a comfortable temperature inside but do many passengers wear shorts to breakfast, lunch and walking around the ship even though it's rainy and in the 50's outside?  We don't want to pack more than we need.

3 Alaska Cruise so far.  Never have worn shorts or taken shorts.  I took a pair of crops once and never wore them.  You’ll spend lots of time on deck and will need warmer clothes then.  Long sleeved shirts, sweaters, jackets and hat.  Only cruise where jeans are a good idea,

We took layers, sweaters and long pants.  My husband who tends to be warm all the time brought a pair of shorts but never wore them.  I bought a Land's End primaloft jacket that came down to the hip and folded up into a very small 8" x 8" x 2" and fit into a zip lock bag.  Also took gloves, hat and scarf (didn't use these often but glad to have them).  Never wore shorts or capri pants.  While on deck looking at glaciers the temp was 42 degrees (yes, we took a thermometer).  On board temp was not overly warm and I felt the need for long sleeve tops and would often have a sweater with me.  Layers worked for us because there were a couple of warmer days during our 14 day cruise.  

31 minutes ago, twentyknots said:

Our first Alaskan cruise sails on June 2.  We are packing now and feel comfortable with our clothing choices for dinner each night and for excursions, however dressing for activities onboard during the day are questionable for us.  All of our cruises to date have been in warm weather so shorts were basic attire during the day.  I'm sure the ship will keep a comfortable temperature inside but do many passengers wear shorts to breakfast, lunch and walking around the ship even though it's rainy and in the 50's outside?  We don't want to pack more than we need.

It will be cool/cold and damp in June till mid July    No shorts at any time unless you welcome hypothermia and want a cold pronto.  Never in the dining areas.

Speaking of which  avoid wearing any cotton clothing   It provides no insulation, absorbs moisture and is not water proof...  And Oh....June is in time for the mosquito and no-seeum festival..  its put on by the Alaska tic community  to share the wealth of visitors.

Long sleeves and pants.   Layer a good base layer  a insulator layer and wind water proof layer   so you can peel off as the temp requires....  forget the sub tan lotion

Good polyester clothes in layers  a  good hat is important as you will loose 80% of your body heat via your head....  Read up  on sites like REI and North face...  not Macy

You will enjoy the trip 10X more if you dress for the weather you WILL encounter   Alaska this season is colder than usual as is the west.......

You will see a lot of jeans on an Alaska cruise -- even on sea days.  It is the only destination where I've found this to be the case.  

And as others have said, bring things to layer.  I have some thin and lightweight waterproof pants that can go over jeans or whatnot.  Those have come in very handy in Alaska -- as it can rain there any time.  Nice to be able to still comfortably be outdoors, but warm and dry.

Edit to add that I see Hawaiidan mentioned REI.

Yup....that's the ticket.  Great rain hats and all of it!

Edited by AncientWanderer

30 minutes ago, boatmad said:

3 Alaska Cruise so far.  Never have worn shorts or taken shorts.  I took a pair of crops once and never wore them.  You’ll spend lots of time on deck and will need warmer clothes then.  Long sleeved shirts, sweaters, jackets and hat.  Only cruise where jeans are a good idea,

Jeans  are bad news in alaska....cotton  that will quickly suck the warmpth from you....  they will get wet and damp ....June is damp.... cotton will be a sponge  As a park ranger, we advise any one  not to wear jeans in the Northwest/alaska region....it leads to bad things

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hawaiidan said:

Jeans  are bad news in alaska....cotton  that will quickly suck the warmpth from you....  they will get wet and damp ....June is damp.... cotton will be a sponge  As a park ranger, we advise any one  not to wear jeans in the Northwest/alaska region....it leads to bad things

I would agree with you for real outdoor activity -- long hikes, etc.  But for a day in port or on the ship -- give me my Levis!

• Like 1

ive worn shorts in alaska, it can be warm with typical PNW summer temps into the 70s, and when it gets that warm, it will be somewhat humid as well.  As others have mentioned, it can also be in the 50s and damp and drizzly also.  If you enjoy wearing shorts, it doesn't hurt to bring a pair as you may have good weather and enjoy.  I don't think there is a problem wearing jeans at all and have done it multiple times.  Athletic pants also work fine.  To be honest, just pretend you are going to a northern lattitude beach in the spring or fall and thats what you should bring.

It's been said numerous times, in Alaska, the rule is "layers"

I'm mostly walrus so enjoy temps others call cool or cold.  I've done 3 Alaska cruises, one in May, one in June and one in September, and have brought and worn shorts better than 1/2 time on each cruise, including excursions and will be doing the same for my July 2019 cruise there.

Shorts are perfectly acceptable on board and in town during the days, so it really boils down to whether you are comfortable in shorts in various weather.  I've seen 90s in early June in Alaska so it does happen, although that's more of an exception.  Have found mosquitoes to be an issue between Anchorage and Seward so if going there, consider long pants and sleeves and/or repellent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twentyknots said:

I'm sure the ship will keep a comfortable temperature inside but do many passengers wear shorts to breakfast, lunch and walking around the ship even though it's rainy and in the 50's outside?  We don't want to pack more than we need.

I don't find the temperature inside public rooms on the ship all that comfortable, I find it cool/chilly and am always wearing or carrying a sweater.  But I do get cool easily.  My recommendation is layers even on sea days because you never know when you will pop outside to see something or walk through a cooler area on the ship.  I wear jeans or casual slacks during the day, never wore shorts or capris on my previous Alaska cruise. 

We'll be taking our 4th AK cruise in August. Our first was in the month of June years ago. I'll be wearing jeans. I'll also be taking shorts. Be comfortable. It will be cool and wet so be sure that whatever you bring to wear you're set for that. Remember that with advice you get what you pay for and you've pretty much gotten the whole gamut in just a few replies. 

I live in a region with cold winters, yet I see people wearing shorts when it the temperature is below freezing -- sometimes shorts plus a parka and a woolly hat -- so I suppose it depends on what is comfortable for you.

Thanks everyone for your advice.  We're in North Carolina and our forecast for the next several days is mid 90's so we will have on shorts for the flight and for walking around Seattle if weather permits before the cruise.  We'll also have appropriate clothing for rainy, cool temps for the cruise.  Hoping for sunny weather, but preparing for anything.  

We have been on over 10 Alaska cruises.  The weather is not predictable but it will be colder,  if you are coming from FLA.

I have seen temps in the 80's in Juneau,  Been sunburned in Glacier Bay and have seen the pools full in Ketchikan.  On the flip side its been cool, but never cold and you do tend to run into rain a lot.  Therefore its like a box of chocolates - you never know what you will get.  Take layered clothing and don't forget the shorts.  On the ship, it tends to be more casual than on a Caribbean cruise.  You will have a great time - enjoy.  

The one real fact about Alaska is that the weather is variable, hour to hour, day to day. month to month.  We've had 85F in Haines in May and June!  50F in Juneau in August!   Pouring rain and cool in the am and sun and warm in the afternoon.

On the ship there is usually a cool weather vibe and shorts are not worn much except in July and August (maybe). It is not an easy cruise to pack for, I know!

Enjoy your cruise!!