Carnival Announcement

54 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Here, we all went to plastic, because paper products were diminishing the forests. Now what? What bothers me. We have biodegradable plastic. We have soluble plastic, we have dissolving plastic. Such as. Your time release pill capsules, detergent pods etc. I am sure they can make these items out of other plastic to either dissolve or biodegrade.

Medication capsules are not made of plastic.  They are gelatin based derived from either vegetable or animals.

Edited by Butterbean1000

Just now, Butterbean1000 said:

Medication capsules are not made of plastic.  They are gelatin based.  

OK that is fine. Sorry I was so incorrect by calling it plastic. All I am trying say is. I am sure chemists can replace the plastic that they use now with a far better biodegradable or dissolving one. Don't you? I do not want trees to be used to replace plastic. that is totally dumb.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, twodaywonder said:

OK that is fine. Sorry I was so incorrect by calling it plastic. All I am trying say is. I am sure chemists can replace the plastic that they use now with a far better biodegradable or dissolving one. Don't you? I do not want trees to be used to replace plastic. that is totally dumb.

I get your drift, but I do not want to use a desolving eating implement.  We ingest so many unnecessary chemicals.  At least wood is a renewable resource.  That being said, I really don't have a dog in this fight. I rarely use straws unless I'm having a frozen drink and those are few and far in between.  I prefer to drink straight from the glass or cup.

How about one plastic cut back that will save US money.... like the ridiculously priced plastic fish or red and blue funnel that adds $10 to the drink of the day.  

Those drinks will will now be served in cardboard juice boxes.

🙂

Edited by crooooze
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, crooooze said:

How about one plastic cut back that will save US money.... like the ridiculously priced plastic fish or red and blue funnel that adds $10 to the drink of the day.  

🙂

But those plastic collectable are reusable and therefore environmental friendly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

But those plastic collectable are reusable and therefore environmental friendly.

Hehe. Good in theory.  I bought all those things for the grandbabies to use.  They didn't give them a second look.  They ended up at Goodwill. 😀

Edited by Butterbean1000

22 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I get your drift, but I do not want to use a desolving eating implement.  We ingest so many unnecessary chemicals.  At least wood is a renewable resource.  That being said, I really don't have a dog in this fight. I rarely use straws unless I'm having a frozen drink and those are few and far in between.  I prefer to drink straight from the glass or cup.

Guess I must be a bit more clear. I never said anything about dissolving in our system at all. In the land fill, in our oceans etc. 

21 minutes ago, crooooze said:

🙂

What are those cardboard juice boxes made of. A wood product. Unexceptionable.

11 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Guess I must be a bit more clear. I never said anything about dissolving in our system at all. In the land fill, in our oceans etc. 

I get that. But think about it.  You are pulling liquid through a straw that is designed to dissolve.   It is starting the dissolving process right then.  You are ingesting that.  Look what they found out about BPAs just being in plastic food containers.  It was poisoning people. It dissolving in the land fills and oceans isn't a solution. No thank you.  I have eliminated as much plastic in my life as possible.  When I can't avoid it, I recyle.

Edited by Butterbean1000

6 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Think of all the people who will not eat cereal on the ship now as it will come in these large dispensers that are always so appealing to children and adults.

Carnival Australia have always had the cereal dispensers in the buffet and I havent heard anyone complain about them. The cereal cant be touched in any way. It is fully enclosed. You turn a handle and dispense as much as you want in to your bowl. 

• Like 4

It is nice to keep our oceans and air clean.  However, these is all feel good measures which nobody can calculate the benefit, other then cost savings for CCL, which is good for me and stock holders.  

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I get that. But think about it.  You are pulling liquid through a straw that is designed to dissolve.   It is starting the dissolving process right then.  You are ingesting that.  Look what they found out about BPAs just being in plastic food containers.  It was poisoning people. It dissolving in the land fills and oceans isn't a solution. No thank you.  I have eliminated as much plastic in my life as possible.  When I can't avoid it, I recyle.

Come on. Please. The capsule is time delay so can the straw be. Might dissolve the next day even. The dissolving process might not happen immediately. So what if it does. Like the jell pill. Do not take it. It might hurt your tummy. Gee. I never heard of any jell pill causing anyone any problems at all, have you?

Why do people just figure ways something will not work. If everyone was that way. No one would own a business. It will not work so why bother at all. How negative is that. We would never have any inventions. 

• Like 1

In broad sense there are dissolving straws now.  Biodegradable plastic straws on the market today.  The straws are made from a plants and will break down 2 months. The problem is they can't be stored for a long time so they must be used within a month or 2 from the purchase.

55 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Come on. Please. The capsule is time delay so can the straw be. Might dissolve the next day even. The dissolving process might not happen immediately. So what if it does. Like the jell pill. Do not take it. It might hurt your tummy. Gee. I never heard of any jell pill causing anyone any problems at all, have you?

Why do people just figure ways something will not work. If everyone was that way. No one would own a business. It will not work so why bother at all. How negative is that. We would never have any inventions. 

Enjoy your cruise!

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

But regardless of their reason for doing this these are positive things for the environment. Small things add up.

These things are all for optics. The internet thinks they are the environmental patrol because of things like straws. Which is laughable in itself. If you REALLY wanted to add up, we wouldn't fly planes, drive cars, go on cruise ships, bulldoze nature, overconsume/waste food. Literally everything we do is bad for the planet. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What about

1. Individual cups of yogurt??

2. Cans of soda that are poured out of??

3. Individual small cartons of milk??

4. plastic bags at the shops??

There are so many others - 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stick93 said:

What about

1. Individual cups of yogurt??

2. Cans of soda that are poured out of??

3. Individual small cartons of milk??

4. plastic bags at the shops??

There are so many others - 

Soda cans can and are being recycled.  

8 hours ago, Joebucks said:

These things are all for optics. The internet thinks they are the environmental patrol because of things like straws. Which is laughable in itself. If you REALLY wanted to add up, we wouldn't fly planes, drive cars, go on cruise ships, bulldoze nature, overconsume/waste food. Literally everything we do is bad for the planet. 

I do agree with that, I've long said that we could all live like the Amish and we would still have an adverse impact on the environment. But we still must do what we can, which includes developing technology to lessen our impact as much as possible and yes, even taking baby steps such as these.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Actually, it is not dumb. Trees are a renewable resource. Trees used in paper-making in Europe and US are cultivated forests that have been in dedicated use - cut and replanted - for many generations. If these acres were not dedicated as a source for paper mills, they would likely be shopping malls, apartment buildings, roads ... because trees for paper making give economic value to the forest (which is really like a tree farm), the forest is in fact preserved, rather than destroyed. 

Also US and European paper companies operate under very strict rules how to manage their forests. Can’t cut within several hundred yards of streams, must identify and preserve critical habitats etc. 

having said that, the actual paper making process itself is not particularly environmentally friendly. Very high energy usages and certainly while improved there are noxious emissions.   That should be the real concern over the move to paper, not the trees. 

Edited by TrinaLC
  • Like 1

The cans are recycled but they could avoid using them all together buy using fountains like the other cruise lines. You have to figure it takes effort to recycle and some staff members has to do that. 

I thought of an larger environmental waste - all that paper they hand out everyday. It’s everywhere. Daily schedules, art sales... etc-  all can be sent on a smart phone or put up on the tv in The room as they took away every other channel we had. That’s many people having to do work that could be saved. I am sure all this paper is not making its way to the recycling plant 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

The cans are recycled but they could avoid using them all together buy using fountains like the other cruise lines. You have to figure it takes effort to recycle and some staff members has to do that. 

I thought of an larger environmental waste - all that paper they hand out everyday. It’s everywhere. Daily schedules, art sales... etc-  all can be sent on a smart phone or put up on the tv in The room as they took away every other channel we had. That’s many people having to do work that could be saved. I am sure all this paper is not making its way to the recycling plant 

From what I've read of shipboard operations from various sources I think the vast majority of recyclables on board make it to the plant.