Carnival Announcement

8 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I can also look at this as the company deciding that if they remove all these things, the employees will have less chance of dumping this garbage into the sea.

I'm very disappointed in the on-board culture the line has created with regard to environmental policy.

Right.  I know people will accuse Carnival of more "cutbacks" which I don't understand.  They vilify Carnival for illegal dumping, which they should, then turn around and complain about cutbacks.

24 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I can also look at this as the company deciding that if they remove all these things, the employees will have less chance of dumping this garbage into the sea.

I'm very disappointed in the on-board culture the line has created with regard to environmental policy.

I would hate to be the employee responsible for digging out foil butter wrappers from all of that food. I applaud their efforts.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BellaSweet said:

Edible straws. Hmm..Yeah, I'll be packing my metal ones 🙂

I guess I don't get the straw thing. I don't use them unless I'm drinking a frozen drink.  I would much rather drink directly from the glass/cup.

• Like 2

Don't be fooled that this is all for the environment. The ships themselves are the biggest threat to the ocean and its well being. With more ships in the ocean it means more pollution and eroding of sea-life. With that said I have no care in world if they eliminate some of these things because it taxes the staff and has them pulling small wrappers out of the garbage. However some of these items are pure money issue. Think of all the people who will not eat cereal on the ship now as it will come in these large dispensers that are always so appealing to children and adults. Edible straws - I mean you can bring your own straws but what if people have allergies or dietary restrictions??

Cut backs - For sure - and I don't care because we all have the right to say we are not going to cruise anymore if they cut this or that, but they are using this platform to once a gain cut back!

They are not heroes for this - they are business people.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

When they stop dumping and polluting will have some confidence that they are doing something positive for the oceans

You do know that the violations that caused the fines, etc and this reaction all occurred on Princess ships and this was put in effect across all Carnival Corp lines as a result, don't you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

You do know that the violations that caused the fines, etc and this reaction all occurred on Princess ships and this was put in effect across all Carnival Corp lines as a result, don't you?

Not all of those changes in the original post have reached Princess.

52 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Don't be fooled that this is all for the environment. The ships themselves are the biggest threat to the ocean and its well being. With more ships in the ocean it means more pollution and eroding of sea-life. With that said I have no care in world if they eliminate some of these things because it taxes the staff and has them pulling small wrappers out of the garbage. However some of these items are pure money issue. Think of all the people who will not eat cereal on the ship now as it will come in these large dispensers that are always so appealing to children and adults. Edible straws - I mean you can bring your own straws but what if people have allergies or dietary restrictions??

Cut backs - For sure - and I don't care because we all have the right to say we are not going to cruise anymore if they cut this or that, but they are using this platform to once a gain cut back!

But regardless of their reason for doing this these are positive things for the environment. Small things add up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

When they stop dumping and polluting will have some confidence that they are doing something positive for the oceans

They cannot sail without polluting, not unless they switch to nuclear power. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

So a bunch of half-measures that coincidentally save them money with no mention of the much more heinous things they were caught doing

Were caught doing and presumably rectified, unless you have evidence to the contrary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stick93 said:

I do not have a problem with companies making money.  Isn't that the goal?  There is not a company out there doing business the same way it was done years ago.  Seriously, straws??? Paper umbrellas that are meant to be immediately thrown away?  Bulk cereal? Oh the horror.   Who cares if it saves the company money.  It's a good thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I would hate to be the employee responsible for digging out foil butter wrappers from all of that food. I applaud their efforts.

There are other ways to serve butter.  I will applaud their efforts in this ONE instance when they implement one.

Meanwhile these changes don't even pretend to address the violations that have occurred while on probation.

7 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I don't have a problem with any of their changes.

I do not either. 

Carnival's two new ships will each be able to carry 5,200 passengers at double occupancy, and at 180,000 gross registered tons will be the largest ships in its fleet, the cruise line said.

The new vessels will also mark the first time a liquified natural gas-powered ship is based in North America, Carnival said in a press release.

"Both of these ships will be fully powered at sea and in port by liquefied natural gas, which is the world's cleanest burning fossil fuel," said Christine Duffy, Carnival's president. "These ships are being designed for maximum energy efficiency and environmental friendliness." Other cruise lines are doing the exact same as is Royal.

Here, we all went to plastic, because paper products were diminishing the forests. Now what? What bothers me. We have biodegradable plastic. We have soluble plastic, we have dissolving plastic. Such as. Your time release pill capsules, detergent pods etc. I am sure they can make these items out of other plastic to either dissolve or biodegrade.

• Like 4