Cuba Cruise Ban

rowala

My wife and I are booked on the July 18 sailing of the Insignia to Cuba.  I just got off the phone with Oceania and was advised that it is altering the itinerary of the cruise to eliminate the Cuba stops.  So even though the new restrictions contained a grandfathering provision for persons who had already paid for travel arrangements, the restrictions on the cruise lines apparently kick in right away without the grandfathering coverage.  It is unclear as to whether a cruise line can apply for a permit or exemption for an already scheduled voyage, but, if so, Oceania does not appear to be doing so.  Although Oceania will be reducing the fare by 50%, given that we have already been to all of the Caribbean destinations, this really sucks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Grandfathering clause in the new regulations does not apply to cruises.  Many people have misread the new regulations regarding grandfathering and misse the part about that being available for "group travel" which is for groups going to Cuba and not cruises or any arrival by sea.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, rowala said:

Although Oceania will be reducing the fare by 50%, given that we have already been to all of the Caribbean destinations, this really sucks.

What other options are they offering  in addition to 50% reduction of fare (refund, future cruise credit, etc).

We are booked on Sirena for March next year so I very much doubt that we will get there now unfortunately. We certainly do not want to do a Caribbean cruise as Cuba was the drawcard. Hopefully we will get our deposit returned from Oceania. As we have already booked our flights on Air N.Z. to LA and return, that is another credit I will have to sort out.  We are just so disappointed that your Government has changed the rules.

Jennie

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jo-b said:

Aussie Gal it may be worth checking non USA lines or even maybe land based holidays with non USA companies if you really want to see Cuba?

Unfortunately, the ban does not apply only to "US cruise lines."  I think it applies to any and all lines that sails from a US port.  Cruise line web sites may be able to clarify.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aussie Gal said:

We are booked on Sirena for March next year so I very much doubt that we will get there now unfortunately. We certainly do not want to do a Caribbean cruise as Cuba was the drawcard. Hopefully we will get our deposit returned from Oceania. As we have already booked our flights on Air N.Z. to LA and return, that is another credit I will have to sort out.  We are just so disappointed that your Government has changed the rules.

Jennie

We're disappointed, too.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Unfortunately, the ban does not apply only to "US cruise lines."  I think it applies to any and all lines that sails from a US port.  Cruise line web sites may be able to clarify.

I believe the comment was for cruise lines NOT leaving or stopping in US ports

there are a few out there  usually European based lines

11 hours ago, Aussie Gal said:

Jennie

You have put my $500 in airline tickets in perspective.   You have a big investment here.   Hope you have trip insurance that covers it.   Mine doesn't kick in until the cruise so will be stuck going to ports I don't want to go to.  

11 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Absolutely Right!  +1  👍

As long as people pour in cash from other countries that finances the Cuban dictators and their terrorism at home and abroad it will not stop.    As long as travelers refuse see that is their presence  is creating and prolonging the problem  it will not  stop.      As  some, care more about their wants than others  it will not stop. till the Cuban government runs out of money . 

• Like 1

Interesting, but I just checked my July 11th cruise on the Oceania website.  It is now called "Mayan Mosaic".   Sounds pretty Mexican to me...  Wondering what my new itinerary will be.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kendon said:

Do you really want to go to Cuba anyway, even if grandfathered??  The Cuban government is probably even more hostile now than last week at this news.  You could be a potential target accused of some made up political wrong doing while on tour.  Many tour operators already had their businesses shut down the last several months at the possibility.  This is no joke.  

Here's a thought. Why don't the cruise lines substitute Pyongyang for Havana? That seems to be fine since North Korea is such a reliable and friendly ally. And they would never kidnap an american and torture him till almost dead in;y to ship him home to die there.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, cruisepsycho said:

Or the oppressive legacy of the Putin regime. Oh guess not since we can cruise to St. Petersberg.

There are a lot of us that will not .... Why would you  knowingly support that country and its government?

Some of us put ethics before our wants.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, HokiePoq said:

You have put my $500 in airline tickets in perspective.   You have a big investment here.   Hope you have trip insurance that covers it.   Mine doesn't kick in until the cruise so will be stuck going to ports I don't want to go to.  

You need to read the rules on Airlines tickets... you have not lost anything but a cancel/change fee and can use the balance for a flight within 12 months of purchase....  Contact you airline and find out....    I do it all the time its easy

Just now, Hawaiidan said:

You need to read the rules on Airlines tickets... you have not lost anything but a cancel/change fee and can use the balance for a flight within 12 months of purchase....  Contact you airline and find out....    I do it all the time its easy

Thanks.  If it were this simple I'd do it.  However we are traveling with friends who are going anyway and have to see it through.   I'm sure I'll enjoy it but would never ever have booked yet another Caribbean cruise.  I consider the entire cost a loss of both money and time.  

Just saw the revised itinerary for the July 18 sailing of the Insignia on Oceania's site.  In my opinion, the alternative itinerary is not at all comparable in quality, and the reduction in price is more reflective of the quality of the itinerary than compensation for the change.  Personally, I think that Oceania has to join its competitors in offering the option of a full refund.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rowala said:

Just saw the revised itinerary for the July 18 sailing of the Insignia on Oceania's site.  In my opinion, the alternative itinerary is not at all comparable in quality, and the reduction in price is more reflective of the quality of the itinerary than compensation for the change.  Personally, I think that Oceania has to join its competitors in offering the option of a full refund.

+1

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jo-b said:

Aussie Gal it may be worth checking non USA lines or even maybe land based holidays with non USA companies if you really want to see Cuba?

We can go to Cuba if we do a land based tour but the big drawcard was spending each night on board the ship. It was a great itinerary.  We have decided that after 3 tries we will give Cuba a miss. It is now in the too hard basket. We don't want to fly to either Canada, Mexico or South America to get there. We are tired of the long flights though we were prepared to do the long haul to Miami just one more time.

Jennie

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HokiePoq said:

We never take out Travel Insurance until we pay the cruise in full so the hardest part will be trying to either get our deposit back from Oceania or trying to find a cruise that we can move the deposit on to. We also had a cruise credit that was given to us by Oceania after a not so good cruise on Regatta last year.  I am sure we will get most of our air back from Air N.Z.   We are not talking of a few hundred dollars but a Premium Return ticket for two to L.A.  If not, I will try going through our AMEX and their insurance.  Just some of the joys of travelling but then we are so lucky to be able to do it only. 

Jennie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Gal said:

We never take out Travel Insurance until we pay the cruise in full so the hardest part will be trying to either get our deposit back from Oceania or trying to find a cruise that we can move the deposit on to. We also had a cruise credit that was given to us by Oceania after a not so good cruise on Regatta last year.  I am sure we will get most of our air back from Air N.Z.   We are not talking of a few hundred dollars but a Premium Return ticket for two to L.A.  If not, I will try going through our AMEX and their insurance.  Just some of the joys of travelling but then we are so lucky to be able to do it only. 

Jennie

I don't think you'll have any problem with the deposit.   The air I can only imagine what might be involved.   We are visiting your wonderful country in October.  After booking I hurt my back and had the choice of dropping our circumnavigation or upgrading the air.   I upgraded so have some idea of the amount you are talking about.   I had already had to cancel one trip due to my back and didn't want to miss this long awaited return to Australia.   Keep us posted how things go.  Good luck!

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:59 AM, HokiePoq said:

I don't think you'll have any problem with the deposit.   The air I can only imagine what might be involved.   We are visiting your wonderful country in October.  After booking I hurt my back and had the choice of dropping our circumnavigation or upgrading the air.   I upgraded so have some idea of the amount you are talking about.   I had already had to cancel one trip due to my back and didn't want to miss this long awaited return to Australia.   Keep us posted how things go.  Good luck!

Well after a couple of busy days we are all sorted out. We did receive from Oceania the copy of the new itinerary that Sirena is doing on the 8th and we weren't interested.  So I phoned Air N.Z. and we received most of the return air fare back minus $600.  We have put in a claim for that amount to our Amex Insurance and we may be lucky and get most of that back.

I then phoned Oceania this morning stating that we weren't interested in the new itinerary and the lass said just send an email to us asking for your deposit and it will be returned. I sent off the email and within a few minutes, she said it was all sorted and the credit would be back on our card within a couple of days.

I have cancelled the hotels that I had booked so unfortunately, we will not be making the journey to the U.S. next year and of course to Cuba which is our biggest disappointment. I just have to send emails to the three guides I had booked in Cuba.  I do feel so sorry for these guides as their careers has just been taken away from them through no fault of their own.

• Like 2