Oh No! Another Infinite Veranda Poll!

vtcruising

Oh No! Another Infinite Veranda Poll!  

106 members have voted

1. 1. If you have already sailed in an infinite veranda, would you book one again if you think the price is reasonable?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would consider booking one again if certain changes were made to the design.
    • I would book one for specific itineraries only.
    • I would need both design changes and a specific itinerary to book.
    • Not applicable - I've never sailed in one.
  2. 2. If you have never sailed in an infinite veranda, would you like to book a cruise in one, if it the price is reasonable?

• Yes or already booked.
    • No
    • I would consider booking one if certain changes were made to the design.
    • I would book one for specific itineraries only.
    • I would need both design changes and a specific itinerary to book.
    • Not applicable - I've already sailed in one.
  3. 3. What is the Number One thing that you would like changed about the infinite veranda (anyone can answer)? I know it may hard to choose just one!

• Increase the size - I want to be able to eat on a bigger table on my veranda and have footstools.
    • Add curtain or other feature dividing the living space from the veranda.
    • Switch to tightly closing doors to veranda so that AC is optimal.
    • Replace the mechanical shades with another solution for privacy/room darkening.
    • Nothing, it is perfect as is.

There have been a few Infinite Veranda polls, some of which seem be slanted one way or the other. I thought a poll for both those who have sailed in one and those who have not would help give Celebrity a view of what Cruise Critic members like about the IV's and what they would like to see changed. It might be interesting for them (and for us). Voter names will be public. Thanks for participating!

EDIT: I noticed when I took the poll that I needed to answer all 3 questions to get the answers to register, so check off "not applicable" for number 1 or 2.

Edited by vtcruising

I’m unusual as I sailed in the trial version of the veranda on Constellation last summer. We loved it and it didn’t put my off booking one for the Edge this July. Yes, I would like some modifications - but that didn’t put me off. I originally booked a Concierge room but it was reclassified to Aqua. Then for the second week I originally booked an Oceanview room but managed to upgrade to one of the normal verandas for very little. I’m actually not going to put an upgrade bid to an infinite one even though I’m sure I’d win one as I want to experience this one! 

Wendy  

12 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Excellent poll.. Do need a larger table to move enjoy breakfast. 

Den

LOL!  🙂 

This was us at one of the tiny tables (we were in an S1 with the same furniture) - it wasn't very comfortable or enjoyable.

image.thumb.png.1655b84f2e38161c68dab9f0acce4d22.png

Edited by vtcruising

31 minutes ago, wendyam76 said:

I’m unusual as I sailed in the trial version of the veranda on Constellation last summer. We loved it and it didn’t put my off booking one for the Edge this July. Yes, I would like some modifications - but that didn’t put me off. I originally booked a Concierge room but it was reclassified to Aqua. Then for the second week I originally booked an Oceanview room but managed to upgrade to one of the normal verandas for very little. I’m actually not going to put an upgrade bid to an infinite one even though I’m sure I’d win one as I want to experience this one! 

Wendy  

I had forgotten that you tried the one on the Connie. I wonder if that one is the same size as the ones on the Edge. It will interesting to see how you like that one. Enjoy your two weeks on the Edge! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

3 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I had forgotten that you tried the one on the Connie. I wonder if that one is the same size as the ones on the Edge. It will interesting to see how you like that one. Enjoy your two weeks on the Edge! 🙂

I think they are about the same size. Cannot wait!

Wendy

• Like 1

VT

53 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

VTcruising, I didn’t realize you had such hairy legs! But must keep you warm on chilly cruises though. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

LOL!  🙂 

This was us at one of the tiny tables (we were in an S1 with the same furniture) - it wasn't very comfortable or enjoyable.

That looks a like a horrible veranda breakfast experience. You have to bend down over the food and there's barely anywhere to put your silverware. ugh

For my DH and I, luckily in the mornings we tend to simply order croissants and coffee, then head down to the MDR or OV for our actual breakfast. Looks like there will be just enough room for a basket of croissants and 2 cups on that itty bitty table.

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

LOL!  🙂 

That is  ridiculous! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

That is  ridiculous! 

The poor butler looked pretty embarrassed.  We didn't even try it on the IV balcony. It can be done, but just not the same as other X ships. Hope they will improve them!

Just to compare our first room service breakfast experience in a Celebrity S1:

image.thumb.png.7bcb68a664499a25acbed18baf61627b.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

That looks a like a horrible veranda breakfast experience. You have to bend down over the food and there's barely anywhere to put your silverware. ugh

For my DH and I, luckily in the mornings we tend to simply order croissants and coffee, then head down to the MDR or OV for our actual breakfast. Looks like there will be just enough room for a basket of croissants and 2 cups on that itty bitty table.

Yes, hopefully they will do something about those tables - at least a coffee table in the living area would be nice.  The croissants and coffee should work fairly well though - luckily there are a lot of good points about the IV's. 🙂

Yet another beating of a dead horse by starting a new thread.

As someone who passes by the Celebrity boards..

1.  People hate the IV cabins.

2.  People love the IV cabins.

3.  People love to have breakfast on the balconies

4.  People choose other venues for breakfast as breakfast on the balconies is not that important to them.

Not sure the point of starting yet another thread where the same points are debated ad infinitum by mostly the same people.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gatour said:

4.  People choose other venues for breakfast as breakfast on the balconies is not that important to them.

Not sure the point of starting yet another thread where the same points are debated ad infinitum by mostly the same people.

Thanks for your input!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, gatour said:

Vtcruising is the patron saint of Edge discussions on CC and has been here from the beginning. Her threads are never to beat a dead horse.

Extremely evident you're just passing on by. Next time keep on stepping unless you have something constructive to say, because your post makes you look like a complete fool. 🤮

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wow, interesting that as of right now 61% of the people who have stayed in an IV say they would book one again.  Kind of leads me to think many of those naysayers that say they hate the IVs haven't actually sailed in one yet.  Should be interesting to see of this trend continues in the poll...

• Like 1

IMHO The point of these IV discussions should be to educate people on the design and function of the IV so that they will know what to expect should they choose to book one.  I think that goal has been more than accomplished.  What lingers on seems to be some sort of competition between those that like the IVs and those that don't to try to win converts to their side.  What's the point? 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, mnocket said:

IMHO The point of these IV discussions should be to educate people on the design and function of the IV so that they will know what to expect should they choose to book one.  I think that goal has been more than accomplished.  What lingers on seems to be some sort of competition between those that like the IVs and those that don't to try to win converts to their side.  What's the point? 

I agree with you on one level, as the same people often say the same things (myself included), but it is obvious that there is still a lot of interest in the IV's. I have followed most of the threads and I think they are still educational. There are always new people joining in with questions, and sometimes misconceptions, about the IV and people who have recently been in them have been reporting back issues, improvements or potential improvements that have been shared with them by officers.

People who have made up their minds one way or the other about the IV's have been starting and contributing to these threads since Nov, 2018. I think it is worth participating in these threads for me personally because of the people who haven't made up their minds about booking one or have booked and have questions. This type of cabin is not for everyone, so I'm all for getting balanced info out there to help people make a decision that is good for them.

I'm an Edge geek and try to keep up with everything I can about this ship (good and bad - I have cruises booked on her and the Apex so want to be well-informed) and am pretty sure that I have learned something on every one of these threads. I have already learned a lot from this thread, so am glad that I started it.

I know how you feel about the competition thing - it is just like the tips and dress code threads - often the same people come back and take their usual sides and duke it out. Nobody wins the battle, except that most of the time the person asking the question (and others) get to see both sides and can hopefully make a well-informed decision. That is how I learned a lot about Celebrity cruising in the beginning and now I avoid the threads I consider repetitive, though hopefully those threads will help educate newer people on CC or those new to that issue (and it can be entertaining too). 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 2

I couldn't answer the poll because I am in the group that just isn't interested in taking a cruise without a regular balcony.....even in Antarctica or cold cruises where I want to sit outside (with coat) and watch from my own balcony.  I know there are some real balconies on the rear of the Edge, and they are the only one's I would consider booking.  Of course, if Celebrity priced the infinity cabins like outside cabins with large windows (essentially what is called a french balcony by marketing) I could be tempted....but I just won't pay (premium) balcony prices for an IV.  We'll be on a Rome to Barcelona cruise on the constellation, but the edge does pretty much the same cruise.  When I checked last, tan edge IV was about 50% more than a C2 on the Connie. Why would I pay more for less (my opinion).

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

I couldn't answer the poll because I am in the group that just isn't interested in taking a cruise without a regular balcony.....even in Antarctica or cold cruises where I want to sit outside (with coat) and watch from my own balcony.  I know there are some real balconies on the rear of the Edge, and they are the only one's I would consider booking.  Of course, if Celebrity priced the infinity cabins like outside cabins with large windows (essentially what is called a french balcony by marketing) I could be tempted....but I just won't pay (premium) balcony prices for an IV.  We'll be on a Rome to Barcelona cruise on the constellation, but the edge does pretty much the same cruise.  When I checked last, tan edge IV was about 50% more than a C2 on the Connie. Why would I pay more for less (my opinion).

I understand and agree about the pricing  - that is why I took the price out of the equation in this poll. I wanted to see if the price were right (what seemed a good price to them), people would rebook if already sailed in one or consider booking if they haven’t sailed in one. 

Quite a few have agreed with you in the poll by voting "No" in number 2 or the added the qualifications. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

18 hours ago, Atpx said:

Vtcruising is the patron saint of Edge discussions on CC and has been here from the beginning. Her threads are never to beat a dead horse.

Extremely evident you're just passing on by. Next time keep on stepping unless you have something constructive to say, because your post makes you look like a complete fool. 🤮

Well said. Vt has given us so much  info and insight about EDGE...she is not here to waste time , fluff or be a cheerleader. EDGE is her devoted study and she is kind enough to share!

This poll may be very helpful to X...  unfortunately the biggest negative is the size of the IV... probably the least doable  fix...

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far. Since the votes have slowed down, I thought I would sum up the numbers so far. As someone who has done some research, I realize that this is not gold standard research, but it was somewhat enlightening for me.

Because everyone had to answer all 3 questions for it to submit the answers, I had to add "Not Applicable" to questions 1 & 2, so the percentages shown are inaccurate. After subtracting the N/A's:

1. If you have already sailed in an infinite veranda, would you book one again if you think the price is reasonable?

23 people who have sailed in an IV responded.

If the prices were right:

57% (13) would rebook an IV

17% (4) would not rebook an IV

26% (6) would consider rebooking an IV if there were changes to design, for certain itineraries or both

83% (19) total said they would rebook an IV OR consider it if there were changes to design and/or for certain itineraries.

2. If you have never sailed in an infinite veranda, would you like to book a cruise in one, if it the price is reasonable?

40 people who have not sailed in an IV responded.

I subtracted one from the "Yes" answers because someone voted yes in 1 & 2 (likely didn't see the "never" in question 2 🙂)

If the prices were right:

40% (16) said they would like to book an IV or are already booked

37.5% (15) said they would not book an IV

22.5% (9) said they would consider booking an IV if there were changes to design, for certain itineraries or both

62.5% (25) total said they would book an IV OR consider booking an IV if there were design changes and/or for certain itineraries

3. What is the Number One thing that you would like changed about the infinite veranda (anyone can answer)? I know it may hard to choose just one!

There were 72 responses (only 62 people took the survey so a few people voted more than once - this is a bit off as far as the number one reason - they likely missed "Number One" in the question 🙂).

44% (27) voted to increase the size to be able to have foot stools and be able to eat on veranda.

32% (20) voted for tightly closing French doors to optimize AC.

Of note, experience has varied onboard -  some people who have sailed in IV's have not had an issue with the AC with French doors closed and IV window open, others have really felt the heat and humidity when the window was open, even with French doors shut and others have noticed somewhat of a change, but were not uncomfortable. I was in an IV for 2 nights only (and didn't spend a lot of time in the cabin), but when we did open the window, I didn't notice an issue with it getting too hot. My DH had turned off the "Go Green" feature so I'm not sure if that is why.

18% (11) voted to add a curtain or other feature to divide the space

11% (7) voted for mechanical shade replacement.

11% (7) said that the IV was perfect as is.

I was surprised to see the high percentage of people who would rebook after sailing in an IV or would if there were design changes or for certain itineraries. I know it is a small sample, but I really thought it would be more.

When comparing it to those who haven't sailed in IV's, it was pretty even. Almost 23% would consider it if there were design changes and/or for certain itineraries, so about 38% of those who have never sailed in an IV are giving a definite No.

If you total those who have sailed in an IV and those who haven't, 46% are a Yes to book an IV, 30% are a definite No and 24% are a Maybe (needs to be taken with a grain of salt, knowing desired changes may never occur).

I think changes people want were not too surprising, but glad to see that 11% were happy with it as is. Obviously, the size of the veranda (and lack of furniture to support reclining with footstool and Room Service on the veranda) is the number one issue, with the French door issue and lack of curtain divider also significant issues for people.

This is the first IV poll that I've seen that took the price out of it. Comparing to other IV polls, though I know that we can't compare apples to oranges, it feels like people may be better able to get past the design issues if the prices were reasonable.  I have heard so many times "I won't book an IV on the Edge, but if the prices were reasonable, I might want to try it" or "I enjoyed the IV experience except for ......, but at the prices they are now, I won't rebook." With open cabins for the summer sailings, I would think X would start dropping those prices and getting people into the IV's. They seem to work well for many people, so maybe they need to get people to try them at a reduced rate and then if the demand starts to rise, they could start charging more. Supply and Demand 101.

As far as the present design - this was in an early press release:

"The cabin concept is another remarkable innovation designed by Chantiers de l’Atlantique, with the integration of its terrace inside the cabin thus enlarging its size."

It appears that the cabin was designed by experienced engineers, though this is an unusual design for ocean sailing. X seemed to have a vision that resembles the river cruise ships, where there are similar small French enclosed balconies with a window that opens, designed to sit upright and watch the scenery go by with a drink on a small cocktail table. As ocean cruisers, many of us have different expectations, such as reclining with footstools (with an ocean cruise there is often less scenery to watch going by as on a river cruise and many are more apt to be reclined - relaxing, reading and napping on the veranda) and eating meals on their verandas, so we generally expect a larger veranda with furniture that works for reclining and eating on the veranda.

Celebrity stated very clearly that they were going for a different experience on the Edge - they succeeded in that it is different - though an intriguing concept, the first rendition has fallen short, IMO. I'm not sure if the size can be changed on the Beyond or other issues addressed or whether they will reconsider the IV all together, but hopefully they will listen to our feedback.🙂

PS: I apologize to the math majors for any miscalculations.

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1