Indian Menu

Carl Nival

Does the MDR of the Carnival Freedom still offer a secret Indian menu that you have to ask the server for?  I'll be sailing on her in a few days, and I never get to try Indian food at home.  Thank you in advance.

I would ask your MDR wait staff.  On past sailings and since the majority of the staff is from the Philippines, I told our filipino wait staff how much I love chicken adobo and pancit (two well known dishes from their country).  Our waiter told me they can make it but I'll have to come back tomorrow.  I didn't think he was serious but the next night, they made and served me the two dishes.  

I gave them an extra tip at the end of the cruise!  

59 minutes ago, Erik101 said:

I would ask your MDR wait staff.  On past sailings and since the majority of the staff is from the Philippines, I told our filipino wait staff how much I love chicken adobo and pancit (two well known dishes from their country).  Our waiter told me they can make it but I'll have to come back tomorrow.  I didn't think he was serious but the next night, they made and served me the two dishes.  

I gave them an extra tip at the end of the cruise!  

The majority of the Carnival Executive Chefs and line cooks are from India. It was good of the cooks to prepare foods for you not from their home country. 

6 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

The majority of the Carnival Executive Chefs and line cooks are from India. It was good of the cooks to prepare foods for you not from their home country. 

No!  The executive chef's didn't make the meal.  The filipino crew did!  It's great to know that you were there to observe who cooked my dinner.  

1 minute ago, Erik101 said:

No!  The executive chef's didn't make the meal.  The filipino crew did!  It's great to know that you were there to observe who cooked my dinner.  

Oh! They let the waiters go on the line of the galley to cook just for you. 

• Haha 2

Here's what I know about the Indian food on the ship. First off the Vegetarian Indian option on the standard menu is the same every night. If you want the varies every night Indian Menu (vegan or non-vegetarian options are both available) you must request it in the special notes section at time of booking or have your travel professional request it not later than 2 weeks prior to sailing. BUT by doing this you are commiting to ordering from that menu (at least for your main course) every night of the cruise. 

Here's another little known menu fact both, Kosher and Halal menus can be be requested. Unfortunately, unlike the Indian food which is made with fresh ingredients, these are pre-made and packaged under the religious observances in the home port. In essence all the galley is doing is reheating the food.

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

I love the indian vegetarian dish. I've heard before that you can ask for it non-vegetarian, but never heard of it having to be some large prior commitment.

I've done it a couple times- it was never a commitment.  My parents cruised with friends on Princess who preferred to only eat Indian food for 3 meals a day (that's a long story that isn't that interesting but anyhow).  They did ask their travel agent to make a note on their reservation- that couple had tons different foods made especially for them.  In that case, they probably did need to ask ahead of time.  But on Carnival, I believe one of the sides is swapped out from the vegetarian dish to the non-vegetarian dish- so it's not a huge change in the meal.  

21 hours ago, Carl Nival said:

Does the MDR of the Carnival Freedom still offer a secret Indian menu that you have to ask the server for?  I'll be sailing on her in a few days, and I never get to try Indian food at home.  Thank you in advance.

Maybe if you drew a picture and gave him $5  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, coevan said:

Were you in the galley watching them cook your food?

No! The staff asked me if I wanted the dish and they made it the next day.  Wasn’t back there and didn’t care who made it. They offered, I accepted, I thanked them and end of story! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I order Indian at least once a cruise. Ask the hostesses to see the menu for both the Veg and non-Veg (meat). You can go to the Maitre d' on embark day (listed in the FunTimes as to when the Maitre d' will be there) and ask about the non-Veg dish that night (might or might not  be able to have it prepared). You usually need to request the non-Veg 24 in advance.

Below is the Veg and non-Veg on the Inspiration 4 day cruise.846988141_Indianmeals.jpg.04b720c8b6ef237b61761c96d854f0bd.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Nice that they have it but no matter how many times  I asked them to tone down the heat it always comes out too spicy for me to have more than a bite or two

Try X the one Indian dish I had in the MDR had no heat or spice. It was disappointing.

On 6/10/2019 at 9:49 PM, Carl Nival said:

I'll be sailing on her in a few days, and I never get to try Indian food at home.  Thank you in advance.

I'm not sure if you're looking for the vegetarian or non-vegetarian, but I order the Indian vegetarian from the daily menu several times during a cruise, and it's never the same thing twice.  I thought it was something of a chef's choice.  It's the best Indian food I eat.  With the post of the menu, I see that I'm probably getting the non-published menu selection (which is fine by me).  

13 hours ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

Try X the one Indian dish I had in the MDR had no heat or spice. It was disappointing.

It depends on the chef. Some like to add a lot of heat and others not too much. On the Inspiration last month, the Indian had almost no heat. The papadam was spicier than the vegetables. And one time on the Miracle, the meal was way too hot (like habanero chili hot).

Edited by Rosefloater

14 hours ago, Rosefloater said:

I order Indian at least once a cruise. Ask the hostesses to see the menu for both the Veg and non-Veg (meat). You can go to the Maitre d' on embark day (listed in the FunTimes as to when the Maitre d' will be there) and ask about the non-Veg dish that night (might or might not  be able to have it prepared). You usually need to request the non-Veg 24 in advance.

Below is the Veg and non-Veg on the Inspiration 4 day cruise.846988141_Indianmeals.jpg.04b720c8b6ef237b61761c96d854f0bd.jpg

Wow, I had no idea this even existed. Thanks for this!