Is it possible to downgrade a beverage package?

helenb

We received the Classic beverage package with our cruise booking. I do not drink alcohol, but I always get a soda package. I just discovered that the Classic package does not include canned soda. Would it be possible for me to downgrade my 'Classic' package to 'Premium Non-Alcoholic'? If so, to whom should I speak once onboard?

I have two scenario.

I'm allergic to alcohol, so I rather not have the alcoholic package to make sure I get a virgin drink.

One time, I asked customer service and they did, no problem.

The second time, they said they would have to downgrade my package to a classic non-alcoholic, then I would have to pay the upgrade from classic to premium, which I think is $4 a day (or was then).

So it depends on which ship you are on and who you talk to.

Edited by angelhelly

27 minutes ago, helenb said:

We received the Classic beverage package with our cruise booking. I do not drink alcohol, but I always get a soda package. I just discovered that the Classic package does not include canned soda. Would it be possible for me to downgrade my 'Classic' package to 'Premium Non-Alcoholic'? If so, to whom should I speak once onboard?

I had the Classic Package and it DID include cans of soda.  We would get one on our way to the room and keep it in the fridge.  

Thank you so much for the replies! As long as I can get cans of soda on the Classic package, I will be good. I like having them in the room fridge, and bringing them on shore. 

5 hours ago, angelhelly said:

..... So it depends on which ship you are on and who you talk to.

That seems to be true for so many things.

Guess we have been lucky in exchanging the Classic Alcoholic package for the Premium Non-Alcoholic package at Guest Relations with no hassle at all.

• Like 1

Reports have been hit or miss on whether they will downgrade to the premium package.  One thing common to all reports where I have heard have been successful is that you have to do it first thing BEFORE using the package at all.

Sharing a room  with my sister. I don’t drink alcohol, so am I able to downgrade from our current classic package to a non-alcoholic package?  I called Celebrity, and I could not do it now, but I’m hoping that they will let me switch once on board.

Yes, you can downgrade from classic alcohol to classic non-alcohol. But premium non-alcohol is considered and upgrade (even though it’s less than classic alcohol). As far as considering the upgrade. We wanted to go from classic alcohol to premium non-alcohol and they wouldn’t do it without us paying an upgrade fee. So we switched to classic non-alcohol with the plan to upgrade once we were unable to get something we wanted. We ended up just keeping the classic non-alcohol package.

2 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

Sharing a room  with my sister. I don’t drink alcohol, so am I able to downgrade from our current classic package to a non-alcoholic package?  I called Celebrity, and I could not do it now, but I’m hoping that they will let me switch once on board.

Yes.

However, you wont get any money back from the downgrade.

Depending on the ship/person you talk to, you can downgrade to either the classic or premium non-alcoholic package.

I am still trying to figure if the classic non-alcoholic includes virgin frozen drinks...

Edited by angelhelly
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, angelhelly said:

I am still trying to figure if the classic non-alcoholic includes virgin frozen drinks...

Not according to their website:   Non-Alcoholic Drinks Package | Celebrity Cruises

It lists "non-alcoholic frozen drinks " under     

Premium Non-Alcoholic Package-Starting from $22 p/night

but not under

Classic Non-Alcoholic Package-Starting from $18 p/night

which seems absurd considering that those drinks are essentially just frozen water with some coloring and flavor added.

Then again, they were not letting passengers purchase the $6 smoothies on the classic package either.  So it is not just the price difference.

Their ships, their drinks, their rules  (no matter how illogical they may appear to us).

My husband has exchanged his Classic Alcohol Package for a Premium Non-Alcohol Package several times. We go to Guest Services as soon as we board, not any of the bars, since there is nothing in it for a bartender to downgrade a package. Sometimes, I upgrade my CAL to a Premium Alcohol Package at the same time. Apparently, this varies from ship to ship and depending on who is manning the desk, but my husband's request has never been denied.

Canned soda is covered by the Classic Alcohol and Classic Non-Alcohol Packages. I believe for a short time they experimented with only including fountain sodas on the Classic packages, but that didn't last long. The Mast Bar has canned soda only. 

Thank you everyone for the responses! We board Edge on June 29, so I will try immediately going to guest services and trying to downgrade to premium non-alcoholic. It's certainly worth a shot!

2 hours ago, helenb said:

Thank you everyone for the responses! We board Edge on June 29, so I will try immediately going to guest services and trying to downgrade to premium non-alcoholic. It's certainly worth a shot!

Please post your "results"! My wife and I are going on Edge on December 1, and we plan to do the same, so it would be nice to hear if you were successful specifically on Edge. From other posts about this subject, results seem to vary by ship, port of departure and other factors. Some are asked to pay to upgrade to the Premium Alcoholic Package, some have only been allowed to downgrade to the Classic NA, and some have downgraded to the Premium NA without any trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

So when I boarded Edge on June 29, I went straight to Guest Services to change my beverage package from Classic Alcoholic to Premium Non-Alcoholic. The woman helping me said that she could do that and went about changing it... then she seemed to encounter a problem. So she called someone. I was getting nervous. Finally, she told me what was going on. It seems that we already had the Premium Alcohol package and therefore she couldn't downgrade me to Premium Non-Alcoholic. I have no idea how we got the premium package, since the offer we purchased and our documents from the TA clearly said Classic. But we didn't complain; we just took the Premium package and ran!

But, for those who are interested, the woman at Guest Services was certainly willing to change a Classic Alcohol package to Premium Non-Alcoholic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1