Rain in August

CruizinKittie40

Historically for the cruise ports - May has the least amount of rain and each month after, there is more rain with September having the most. There are exceptions to this all the time. My sister went last September and it was beautiful. There are some Septembers when it is just miserable, especially after mid month.

There are plenty of references out there with amount of rain per month per city based on historical data - I recommend looking at those.

Yes, bring a rain coat, even if going in May.

Edited by Coral

I’ve never been to Alaska and I don’t think I would ever think about going to Alaska without a raincoat ?   Is it just me?  

You might want to think about your shoes too.  Once your feet are wet your miserable.   

Get some spray scotch guard to treat shoes for weather.  Cheap protection  

3 hours ago, Oviedo32765 said:

Alaska is a pretty big state. You might want to be a little more specific as to where in Alaska you are planning on going to visit.

Endicott Arm, last year, Mid July EOS

20180717_100727.thumb.jpg.b721bfd3207e1c68528d40771bcc6126.jpg

Whale Watching, Juneau, same time period; Juneau is a rain forest with over 300 days of rain a year.

image.png.f6fe027e63bfeab51801eaabb3df266a.png

Rain in Alaska in the summer is pretty common - they call it liquid sunshine. Much of Coastal Alaska is one big tropical rain forest after all - so just know that it is probably going to rain on one or more days, especially in August. But it is the kind of rain you just deal with and don't let interfere with your plans. Most tours still go rain or shine - my daughter and I ziplined in Ketchikan in the rain - it was kind of exciting! A bulky raincoat probably isn't what you want - or a dressy raincoat like the kind we ladies tend to wear with dresses. The best plan is to layer up - I like to start with a turtleneck, jeans, fleece pullover and ankle high walking boots. That's my go to comfort outfit for almost any day in Alaska - however, if it is raining I might switch out the jeans for some water wicking pants and add a waterproof windbreaker with hood and I'm good to go. And then I add and subtract layers as the day goes on, weather changes and it's all good - just carry a backpack where you can stuff the extra layers when you need to shed them - or tie them around your waist, another tried and true option. A warm hat and gloves is always a good idea to take along, especially for chilly glacier viewing days.

I think people tend to over think the level of clothes you will need for Alaska - just keep it simple and remember that anything you decide you need once you get there can be purchased at a great bargain in any of the ports!

• Thanks 1

We went Aug. 24-31 last year and we only had rain in Juneau. Otherwise, it was beautiful and sunny every day, cold on the glacier day. But I would still bring a light rain jacket. In Alaska, you never know what's going to happen so better to be prepared. I will say that on our Royal Caribbean ship, they had a deck sale with lots of cold weather gear and rain gear and hubby got a really nice rain jacket for about $40, same quality as my Northface one that was way more than that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joeghartman said:

Maybe a stupid question, but does anyone ever bring their umbrella with them?

No they really don't. You will literally see no one walking around in any Alaska ports with an umbrella in the rain except perhaps one or two really uninformed tourists. It's a hazard and a nuisance with so many people out walking around when there are a bunch of ships in port. It does you no good while you are out hiking or on any kind of tour or on a boat where it is too windy. Leave the umbrella home and just wear a jacket with a hood or wear a hat of some sort. Much easier and less intrusive.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We went in late August for a 7-night cruise and it rained everyday. There were sunny periods during the day. It’s lucky that it didn’t rain during our ziplining in Skagway and dogsledding in Juneau tours. It rained during our snorkelling tour in Ketchikan and that’s alright! We visited the towns in the rain with our rain jackets. We didn’t have a waterproof/water resistant backpack then and I put a plastic bag outside my backpack. Since then I have bought a few water resistant backpacks for travel. 

Have fun planning!

You might be surprised to learn that much of Southeast Alaska - where the majority of cruise ships visit - is known as a rain forest.

I will leave it to your imagination to guess the reason they call it a rain forest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have gone to Alaska two times in May, no rain.

Once in late July-- August. It rained  10 out of the 14 days.  The islands were beautiful  with the clouds lifting after the rain..

I guess I forgot about the rain because  ,guess what, I booked again in the rainy season. Leaving next week.

Oh well, can hardly wait to get to Alaska, rain or not. 

Happy cruising everyone..  

It rained a couple of days in the mornings during our cruise last week.  We were well prepared and it was kind of fun to walk around in the drizzle.  The people of Alaska were so happy it was raining we couldn't even be upset about it.  Apparently, it has been really dry this year and affecting the salmon population. 

Umbrellas-----We were on Regent in 2010 for two weeks, San Fran to Valdez and then back down to Vancouver hitting all the obligatory ports enroute. Excellent weather but when we got to Valdez it was blowing and raining. Getting off the ship they handed out umbrellas, everyone who opened their's had them turn inside out. But as far as the future rain in late summer and fall, it looks like Alaskans as well as visitors are going to have to get used to these changing weather patterns such as we have today. "Instead of a once in a lifetime experience this might occur every few years". Almost September now and in South Central no rain of significance predicted. Hope no one has the Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge booked in the next few days.  

"Southcentral Alaska has seen less than an inch of rainfall since June 1 and no measurable rain at all during August, said a climatologist from the Alaska Center for Climate Assessment and Policy." "This year’s already-unprecedented summer is on track to beat yet another record: becoming the driest ever recorded in Southcentral Alaska."

"The U.S. Drought Monitor has classified part of the region — including Anchorage, the Susitna Valley and a portion of the northern Kenai Peninsula — as being in an “extreme drought” for the first time in the drought monitor’s 20-year history." "Extreme drought is the second-highest drought designation, underneath “exceptional drought,” which Alaska has never recorded. Most of the southern coastal swath of Alaska, from the Panhandle to the Aleutians, is experiencing drought to a lesser degree."

The U.S. rain forests, Tongass and Chugach, (the nation's largest and second largest, respectively,) along the southcentral coast and in Southeast Alaska (our panhandle) are being hammered.