We've talked about how awful it is what they did on the Getaway, right?

PortFees45

5 hours ago, tjt87 said:

.......It increases the number of entitled people on the cruise,  something I vacation to get away from.

Well, then you should be excited about giving more space for those entitled people, because if they have more private space, they won't be out and about on the ship, so you don't have to interact with them.  Seems like a win win for everyone.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NLH Arizona said:

Well, then you should be excited about giving more space for those entitled people, because if they have more private space, they won't be out and about on the ship, so you don't have to interact with them.  Seems like a win win for everyone.

That doesn't stop them invading the rest of the ship just the plebs invading theirs.

3 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

We have a Haven two bedroom coming up. Against $25k for the DOS I feel decidedly second class. By definition we are second class. They get all the good stuff. They even have a fireplace to go along with their three (!) balconies. But we only paid half that price, so I guess I should just be grateful to be out floating around with someone else cooking my Three Cheese Ziti for a change.

One big issue is that we are travelling with a 13yo, so we can't use the Haven sundecks at all. See you by the main pool.

11 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

We have a Haven two bedroom coming up. Against $25k for the DOS I feel decidedly second class. By definition we are second class. They get all the good stuff. They even have a fireplace to go along with their three (!) balconies. But we only paid half that price, so I guess I should just be grateful to be out floating around with someone else cooking my Three Cheese Ziti for a change.

One big issue is that we are travelling with a 13yo, so we can't use the Haven sundecks at all. See you by the main pool.

Another one poking the bear

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, tjt87 said:

Another one poking the bear

Not at all. I would love to be able to afford the DOS. My wife and I both have good incomes, but I cannot justify paying more than what my car is worth for a week in one. That would be stupid. We can't afford it.

And the thing about under 16 kids being excluded from the sun decks is something we only found out after we booked. Our kids are really well behaved. If more parents did their bit maybe people wouldn't be hating on kids all the time. Our kids aren't a problem, but we are paying a price because clearly other people's have been.

14 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

And the thing about under 16 kids being excluded from the sun decks is something we only found out after we booked. Our kids are really well behaved. If more parents did their bit maybe people wouldn't be hating on kids all the time. Our kids aren't a problem, but we are paying a price because clearly other people's have been.

My kids combined are under 16. They also don't make a habit of laying out in the sun. Depending on the ship, even Haven kids do not get a forward-facing view. It's unfortunate but when looking at all of the things they (we) do get, not getting an exclusive sundeck for all of us isn't a deal-breaker. 

There are too many irresponsible parents in the Haven (based on the numerous complaints posted on CC). Yours and mine may not be a problem but since the Haven didn't have any adult-only areas, NCL made the sundeck 16 and up. I know what I would do if I was FDR but even that would make some people upset. 

21 hours ago, perditax said:

Really? Does that mean there’s no free adults-only sundeck/bar area on Encore, or are they just calling it something else?

That area of the ship has been replaced by the laser tag.  Nothing has been announced that would be similar to Spice H2O but I do wonder where they plan to have the deck parties.

4 minutes ago, hawkman402 said:

That area of the ship has been replaced by the laser tag.  Nothing has been announced that would be similar to Spice H2O but I do wonder where they plan to have the deck parties.

Probably on the tiny, crowded, cramped public pool deck.

I will never set foot on the Encore. F that ship. You can get laser tag and go-carts at any rinkydink putt-putt golf course/amusement park. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

My kids combined are under 16. They also don't make a habit of laying out in the sun. Depending on the ship, even Haven kids do not get a forward-facing view. It's unfortunate but when looking at all of the things they (we) do get, not getting an exclusive sundeck for all of us isn't a deal-breaker. 

There are too many irresponsible parents in the Haven (based on the numerous complaints posted on CC). Yours and mine may not be a problem but since the Haven didn't have any adult-only areas, NCL made the sundeck 16 and up. I know what I would do if I was FDR but even that would make some people upset. 

It's fine. We are going to Alaska again. All the pools are usually totally deserted, but we don't care about the cold because we are from Seattle, so the weather is totally normal for us. If you are on the Joy, and you see a family in the pool getting strange looks from everyone else walking around in down parkas and Ugg boots it will probably be us. 

We hit a storm out of Juneau one time and they had to come and kick us out because of the sloshing. It was like a wave pool. It was awesome.

Edited by elwood_98034
Typo
  • Haha 1

After reading this thread, I fail to see where the angst comes from. This was a smart move on NCL's part to increase the size of a revune producing space by eliminating a few lounge chairs. Of course the deck above the Vibe is still available for anyone to use.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, zqvol said:

After reading this thread, I fail to see where the angst comes from. This was a smart move on NCL's part to increase the size of a revune producing space by eliminating a few lounge chairs. Of course the deck above the Vibe is still available for anyone to use.

not on the Encore

and it's not "a few lounge chairs" - it's a huge swatch of the formerly public sundecks

• Like 1

and the front view, at the getaway you have now no included front view ( if you not booked the haven). nothing better then to cruise into a harbour and you are at the front of the ship ( or sailing into fjords).

but hey, ncl cut the included deck space and people love that, great for ncl that people love to pay for things that was included before. ( maybe even at the time they booked the cruise ).

Edited by Steff79
  • Like 1

Just to throw this out there but maybe they are testing the public to see if increasing Vibe on the Getaway will work?
I've been on Breakaway and Bliss and neither one of these ships had this present - open to public/Vibe and Haven; loved Spice H2O.
Increasing Vibe on Getaway would only amount of more people pushing and shoving their way up to get ? more passes. Blowup in NCL faces? Or, as suggested, make them part of the "add on" when one hits the days to book,
Again, just wondering.

9 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

It's fine. We are going to Alaska again. All the pools are usually totally deserted, but we don't care about the cold because we are from Seattle, so the weather is totally normal for us. If you are on the Joy, and you see a family in the pool getting strange looks from everyone else walking around in down parkas and Ugg boots it will probably be us. 

We hit a storm out of Juneau one time and they had to come and kick us out because of the sloshing. It was like a wave pool. It was awesome.

That was my dh and I on our first cruise to Alaska on Princess. Total wave pool and had it to ourselves. 

This trip?  It was pretty darn cold most of the time (even by Minnesotan standards) and when it wasn’t, the family pool was closed due to vomit. 

I jumped in one day, but honestly, I find NCL’s megaship pools very underwhelming and unwelcoming.  This princess pools back in 2002 were nice—if my memory serves me. 

At least Encore is a new ship, people don't have expectations or experience. I wonder how someone who booked Getaway will feel when suddenly parts of the ship that were listed as being available to them (or they knew were available from past sailings) is behind a pay wall when they board. 

Companies are for profit and they are going to push the line past it's breaking point then reel it in. They haven't hit their breaking point yet judging by their earning statements so you can expect more and more cutbacks until customers have enough and switch. 

NCL, Carnival and Royal now all seem to be offering the same mega ship experience with the exception of Haven. NCL is typically more expensive. I don’t know if NCL is setting itself apart enough to attract first time non haven cruisers. Children aren’t the ones paying, going full amusement park to spite the adults on board doesn’t seem like a long term pay off. Party is RCL/Carnival, Kids/family is Disney and now NCL. NCL is leaving a hole for a middle of the road, not a lux line-not a booze cruise-not a floating Chuck E cheese- to come take it’s place. NCL brand seems all over the place and doesn’t really know what it wants to be. 

Lux lines have very inconvenient itineraries, longer sailings with different embarkation and debarkation ports. The Manhattan/Boston terminals are incredibly convenient and typical NCL cruises are 1 week round trip making them ideal, so I do understand Haven guests wanting all the convince offered to them by NCL that the Lux lines are ignoring as well as all the other perks a bigger ship can offer. NCL also has amazing reward programs, CaS and latitudes. People don’t want to start at the bottom with a new line. I don’t see NCL getting into any trouble unless a line (say MSC) can take the midrange place they are beginning to leave vacant.    

8 hours ago, 2bthere said:

Just to throw this out there but maybe they are testing the public to see if increasing Vibe on the Getaway will work?
I've been on Breakaway and Bliss and neither one of these ships had this present - open to public/Vibe and Haven; loved Spice H2O.
Increasing Vibe on Getaway would only amount of more people pushing and shoving their way up to get ? more passes. Blowup in NCL faces? Or, as suggested, make them part of the "add on" when one hits the days to book,
Again, just wondering.

Or maybe it will be enough Vibe spaces so that it eliminates the mad rush that exists now and people have been wining about since day one.  Perfect example of a company doing something that has been (at least) indirectly requested by its customers and then catching hell over doing exactly what was asked for.  😮🙄

• Like 1

But what offers you the new vibe at the getaway now more then the quite public Sundeck that it was before?

if you find at the vibe only a place at the left side you have the same like before, but pay for it. Wohh a good deal, only for ncl. 

Edited by Steff79

9 minutes ago, Steff79 said:

But what offers you the new vibe at the getaway now more then the quite public Sundeck that it was before?

if you find at the vibe only a place at the left side you have the same like before, but pay for it. Wohh a good deal, only for ncl. 

Was it adults only before?

2 hours ago, Birdie And Sue said:

So there has been a LOOOOOOOONG history of people being frustrated with the Vibe selling out quickly and people getting all pissed off at how they missed out, and now when NCL extends the Vibe so more people can get passes it is 'awful'?  OK I get it. 🤔

It's relation.  No one seems to be sure how many more Vibe passes there will be.  But it's safe to assume that there will not be passes available for 1/3 of the pax on the ship...even though 1/3 of the pool deck is now devoted to Vibe.  

If they increase the number of passes to 200, but took away 1/3 of the space...yes that breed more frustration.  95% of the ship still gets shut out of Vibe...but lose alot more real estate 

• Like 3