Drinks Package Classic or Premium??

andovertraveler

Hi, I have the classic beverage package included in my cruise.  To upgrade to premium is $145 plus tax (12 night cruise). Can anyone who has been on recently with the classic package tell me if they were able to order specialty martinis (cosmo, lemon drop) and good margaritas and mojitos and gin/tonics?  It looks like some ok brands of liquor are included in the classic package but I know the drinks have a $9 limit and I am having a hard time believing that I can get a cosmo or lemon drop martini for $9 on board.  Any insight would be appreciated!!

The martinis at the Martini bar are more than the $9--I think they are like $15

You can use the search function and see the menus which have been posted multiple times in recent months

You will pay the difference plus 20% grat over the 9.00

Also there are posts on brands. You can do just fine on a Classic package --its about brand w Premium.

Edited by Fogfog

34 minutes ago, andovertraveler said:

Hi, I have the classic beverage package included in my cruise.  To upgrade to premium is $145 plus tax (12 night cruise). Can anyone who has been on recently with the classic package tell me if they were able to order specialty martinis (cosmo, lemon drop) and good margaritas and mojitos and gin/tonics?  It looks like some ok brands of liquor are included in the classic package but I know the drinks have a $9 limit and I am having a hard time believing that I can get a cosmo or lemon drop martini for $9 on board.  Any insight would be appreciated!!

Yes, you can get a Cosmo or Lemon Drop on the classic package, they will use the alcohol for your package and a smaller glass at the Martini Bar...

If by 'good' you mean the liquor used in the Premium package, then go for it OR if the liquor in the Classic Package is good, go for it..

Also, if you believe that $145.00 plus tax is worth it, go for it, BUT....

.... I do recommend, pending on when your sailing is, waiting for a sale where you can get up to 20% off on a beverage package upgrade. Please know that is it not always available for all sailings...

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1

We drank mojitos all week on the classic.  I do not pay attention to brands, so i could not tell you what they used. They did differ from bar to bar, with the Sunset and Martini bar being the best in my opinion. 

OH NO! But good to know, thank you for the info!!  

I am so unsure of what to do - I really don't want to feel nickel and dimed while on board.  I am holding out waiting for a discount for the upgrade but the cruise is 10 days away and no luck so far.  If only this was the worst problem to have in life . . . 

10 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Yes, you can get a Cosmo or Lemon Drop on the classic package, they will use the alcohol for your package and a smaller glass at the Martini Bar...

If by 'good' you mean the liquor used in the Premium package, then go for it OR if the liquor in the Classic Package is good, go for it..

Also, if you believe that $145.00 plus tax is worth it, go for it, BUT....

.... I do recommend, pending on when your sailing is, waiting for a sale where you can get up to 20% off on a beverage package upgrade. Please know that is it not always available for all sailings...

Cheers and bon voyage

Hi Bo1953,

I have a question about gratuities on the beverage packages that I hope you can answer.  Does Celebrity charge gratuities on drinks in addition to the cost of the beverage package?  So say you pay X amount per day for the premium package, and order 4 drinks through the package.  Does Celebrity add a gratuity for each drink you order onto your shipboard account, or are the gratuities already incorporated into the price of the beverage package?

3 minutes ago, knittertwitter said:

Hi Bo1953,

I have a question about gratuities on the beverage packages that I hope you can answer.  Does Celebrity charge gratuities on drinks in addition to the cost of the beverage package?  So say you pay X amount per day for the premium package, and order 4 drinks through the package.  Does Celebrity add a gratuity for each drink you order onto your shipboard account, or are the gratuities already incorporated into the price of the beverage package?

The gratuity is already included in pkg.  no xtra charge. The grat  that were mentioned were if you bought a drink on classic that was say 15.  You would pay 6 plus 20%   Since classic only covers 9 dollar drinks.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bikerunner said:

The gratuity is already included in pkg.  no xtra charge. The grat  that were mentioned were if you bought a drink on classic that was say 15.  You would pay 6 plus 20%   Since classic only covers 9 dollar drinks.  

Thanks!

You can upgrade your package part way through your cruise so you could try the classic for a few days and see how you get on. 

We do get the premium as part of our suite package and it is nice not to have to think about the cost of drinks or ‘check’ what we can have...The biggest difference we have found is with wine choice, very limited on the classic. Even with the premium we sometimes pay a few $$ over. I do enjoy the premium package for ‘experimenting’...If I was paying by the glass $$$ for a cocktail I would choose something I know I like, as part of the package I will try lots of new things!

If you consider the cost of the upgrade as a % cost of you total holiday cost would it enhance your experience to upgrade? If you do like cocktails it may be worth it....my autocorrect just changed cocktails to cockroaches, yuk, glad I spotted before posting!!!

Whatever you choose to do, have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you chemmo! Really good point to think of the upgrade as merely part of the cost of the holiday.  I want to be able to order any cocktail I want and not make decisions on whether it's worth the added $$ - and experimenting sounds fun.  You have convinced me to do it (after I wait 2 more days for that elusive discount to be offered)!   

Thanks again to all you experts for the great intel and advice!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, knittertwitter said:

Hi Bo1953,

k - your question has been ably answered, I believe, as gratuities are included as part of any beverage package you may have.

Only the up-charge for any beverage, are there any grats added to amount of that charge you will need to cover and it is added to your ship board account, which you can monitor regularly on your TV...

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

You can upgrade your package part way through your cruise so you could try the classic for a few days and see how you get on. 

We do get the premium as part of our suite package and it is nice not to have to think about the cost of drinks or ‘check’ what we can have...The biggest difference we have found is with wine choice, very limited on the classic. Even with the premium we sometimes pay a few $$ over. I do enjoy the premium package for ‘experimenting’...If I was paying by the glass $$$ for a cocktail I would choose something I know I like, as part of the package I will try lots of new things!

If you consider the cost of the upgrade as a % cost of you total holiday cost would it enhance your experience to upgrade? If you do like cocktails it may be worth it....my autocorrect just changed cocktails to cockroaches, yuk, glad I spotted before posting!!!

Whatever you choose to do, have a wonderful cruise!

Great points.  I have more than a few times ordered something and just got something else. With premium or even classic your not really limited except in wine choices. I’ll admit tho I do like the world class bar drinks.  Of course my go to there I have to pay overage since it is over premium.  The wonderful bullet infusion. 

We always have the Premium Package and I, somehow, always find a few nights where I have to pay more for drinks as in a few drinking places they have a scotch or bourbon which are not part of any package and I have to have one... as a night cap..

Yes, the up charge was once $70 for one drink I ordered, I Am sure the bartender told me but while in a stupor (from drinking) I either did not hear or understand it... LOL

At any rate, go, drink, enjoy...

Find your favourite bartender or bar (in that order) and you will be fine.

Cheers and bon voyage

• Haha 1

We usually once on the ship, either at the Martini Bar or through our sommelier, this is what we’ll do on the Millie next week. The wines on classic leave much to be desired, so the upgrade is a must for us. Like someone else said I also like trying out different cocktails without having to worry about the cost.

BTW, I haven’t seen them make small martinis for those with the classic package in several years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jelayne said:

We have gotten standard size cosmos, lemon drop, appletini and gin or vodka martinis with the Classic package at the Ensemble Lounge, Rendezvous Lounge and Sunset bars with no upcharge.

Good to know, I speak only of the Martini Bar...

We have the Classic package and only upgrade to Premium if we are dissatisfied with the wine offered with the Classic.

We always wait to upgrade onboard and do so with our favorite bartender or sommelier as they receive a bump, and they remember us with their service.

12 hours ago, jelayne said:

We have gotten standard size cosmos, lemon drop, appletini and gin or vodka martinis with the Classic package at the Ensemble Lounge, Rendezvous Lounge and Sunset bars with no upcharge.

Also the Passport Bar, Sky Lounge, Mast Bar and Pool Bar...

17 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

k - your question has been ably answered, I believe, as gratuities are included as part of any beverage package you may have.

Only the up-charge for any beverage, are there any grats added to amount of that charge you will need to cover and it is added to your ship board account, which you can monitor regularly on your TV...

Cheers and bon voyage

Thanks!

19 hours ago, andovertraveler said:

Thank you chemmo! Really good point to think of the upgrade as merely part of the cost of the holiday.  I want to be able to order any cocktail I want and not make decisions on whether it's worth the added $$ - and experimenting sounds fun.  You have convinced me to do it (after I wait 2 more days for that elusive discount to be offered)!   

Thanks again to all you experts for the great intel and advice!

Hope you get a discount and then have a fantastic cruise!

Can’t wait until we board in September. Last cruise I told the pool bar staff on Eclipse  I didn’t know what I wanted to drink but I wanted something cool, refreshing and not too sweet. They made me something with elderflower which was lovely! I do hope they can do the same on Equinox, I am not sure what was in the drink and I don’t think it was on any menu. I may just have to do some more experimenting!