Guaranteed Stateroom Experiences

1 hour ago, dcdiva said:

Reporting back as promised. Got my cabin assignment 5 minutes ago -- 9 days before sailing. Category K, which isn't really an upgrade. But it's on Deck 10 which works well. Two days ago, the rest of my party took an up-sell and moved from Deck 1 to Deck 10. I'll be just around the corner. 

What level did you book a GTY? You may not consider it an upgrade, but if it is a cabin level above the GTY category you booked, it is, in fact, an upgrade. You weren't guaranteed an upgrade, you were only guaranteed the level you booked.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

What level did you book a GTY? You may not consider it an upgrade, but if it is a cabin level above the GTY category you booked, it is, in fact, an upgrade. You weren't guaranteed an upgrade, you were only guaranteed the level you booked.

Ooops. Didn't mean to imply I was expecting an upgrade. I booked an inside GTY and that's what I got. And I am quite happy with the location. All in all, very pleased. 

2 minutes ago, dcdiva said:

Ooops. Didn't mean to imply I was expecting an upgrade. I booked an inside GTY and that's what I got. And I am quite happy with the location. All in all, very pleased. 

On HAL you don't book inside GTY exactly, but a category like MM GTY,  K GTY.  Interesting to know what you booked and got a K.

I don't ever remember them specifying a letter category in my conversation with the booking agent. But I'll check my original email confirmation. Undoubtedly, it was the least expensive option available for a solo traveler. 

On 7/4/2019 at 3:33 PM, DaveOKC said:

Interesting side note.  On my last three bookings, all made about 9-10 months out, the website showed us the "guarantee only" price, but when we went to book, we were able to actually select a specific cabin in that category.  A bit unusual I know, but something to be aware of.  It might be since we booked so far out, but who knows?

Sometimes this can really work out well.  Just this past week I was able to book a 7 day Pacific Coastal cruise in the SC category (Neptune) and get a specific SC cabin normally these Coastals are only sold as guarantees.  The SC cabin we selected is on the same deck as the Neptune Lounge and is right next door to a SA cabin, so I think it should be exactly the same size.  IMO, this is better than being in some of the SBs that are a deck lower.  Because of this, I marked my reservation "Do Not Upgrade".

My point - when booking a guarantee, ask if it is possible to actually select your cabin in that category.  You might be surprised at the answer.

This makes perfect sense because, with one exception, I have always received my cabin number immediately upon booking a guarantee with my PCC.  In fact, today a booking came with cabin 8117 and I requested a change because it’s immediately below the Seaview Bar on the Westerdam.  (Smoke and chair moves.) I now have an assigned cabin forward for the same guarantee price.  I have also done dummy guarantee bookings where I could pick my cabin number without additional cost.  Whenever I posted about it people always seemed to be surprised.

On 6/26/2019 at 6:28 AM, VennDiagram said:

We've never ended up in the category we booked, and have gotten (mostly) excellent cabins.

Bolding is mine...

Yes, but for many folks (like us), it's those less than desirable assignments (even though rare) that convinced us long ago to select the cabin we want at booking and be done with it.

No rolling of the dice, no drama of anticipation, and best of all, no surprises.

9 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

This makes perfect sense because, with one exception, I have always received my cabin number immediately upon booking a guarantee with my PCC.  In fact, today a booking came with cabin 8117 and I requested a change because it’s immediately below the Seaview Bar on the Westerdam.  (Smoke and chair moves.) I now have an assigned cabin forward for the same guarantee price.  I have also done dummy guarantee bookings where I could pick my cabin number without additional cost.  Whenever I posted about it people always seemed to be surprised.

I'm surprised AND confused.  My understanding was the "guarantee" meant specifically that you would not be able to choose your cabin.  So in the cases you described, what did "guarantee" actually mean?

21 minutes ago, Moriah said:

I'm surprised AND confused.  My understanding was the "guarantee" meant specifically that you would not be able to choose your cabin.  So in the cases you described, what did "guarantee" actually mean?

It means I get the guarantee price and my room assignment at time of booking.

19 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

It means I get the guarantee price and my room assignment at time of booking.

Hmmm, that's still confusing because again, I thought "guarantee" meant that you do not have a specific cabin assignment, but that you are "guaranteed" the category specified in your "guarantee" booking, or higher.  So in the case where you ARE assigned a cabin, I'm not sure what "guarantee price" means.  I don't want to sound like I'm arguing with you, I'm really just confused.  (Not that it's your job to enlighten me LOL, must be something I'm missing)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Hmmm, that's still confusing because again, I thought "guarantee" meant that you do not have a specific cabin assignment, but that you are "guaranteed" the category specified in your "guarantee" booking, or higher.  So in the case where you ARE assigned a cabin, I'm not sure what "guarantee price" means.  I don't want to sound like I'm arguing with you, I'm really just confused.  (Not that it's your job to enlighten me LOL, must be something I'm missing)

LOL.  No, you don’t sound like you are arguing with me.  I guess the best way to help clarify would be to go to the HAL site and do a dummy booking.  Once you are at the part where it says “Your Stateroom” click on “Change Your Stateroom” then “You Select Your Stateroom”.  There you will see an actual assigned stateroom for the guarantee price.  If you change locations it will indicate if it’s a higher price or not.

2 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

LOL.  No, you don’t sound like you are arguing with me.  I guess the best way to help clarify would be to go to the HAL site and do a dummy booking.  Once you are at the part where it says “Your Stateroom” click on “Change Your Stateroom” then “You Select Your Stateroom”.  There you will see an actual assigned stateroom for the guarantee price.  If you change locations it will indicate if it’s a higher price or not.

Oooooh, okay, now that kind of makes sense.  Sounds like there are some cabins available to lock into at the price of a guarantee OR you can choose to take your chances and possibly get upgraded.  Got it.  Good to know! Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Oooooh, okay, now that kind of makes sense.  Sounds like there are some cabins available to lock into at the price of a guarantee OR you can choose to take y our chances and possibly get upgraded.  Got it.  Good to know! Thank you.

Even if you "lock in" your cabin, you still could be upgraded for free later on.  Or, you can be offered an upsell to a higher category.

I almost always mark my reservation "Do Not Upgrade" when I pick a specific cabin, as HAL's idea of a better cabin is not necessarily the same as mine.  Plus, I still get upsell offers to a higher category.  I know that this seems a bit odd, but it works for me!  Example - I booked a SY cabin that I liked due to the angled layout and location.  I might get a free upgrade to a SS in a location that I do not like (perhaps next to the outside elevators) - not a good deal to me.  Plus, I still can receive an upsell offer to a Neptune suite for small fee (IMO).  In my experience, it is difficult to get a free upgrade to a Neptune as HAL really works to upsell these cabins first (more money for them).  

On another booking I selected my SC cabin which was just beyond the SAs on the same deck as the Neptune Lounge, while I might (very possible in this case) get a free upgrade to a SB on the deck below.  Since the SAs are not in that much of a better location (IMO), missing out on a free upgrade to SA is not a big deal IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Even if you "lock in" your cabin, you still could be upgraded for free later on.  Or, you can be offered an upsell to a higher category.

I almost always mark my reservation "Do Not Upgrade" when I pick a specific cabin, as HAL's idea of a better cabin is not necessarily the same as mine.  Plus, I still get upsell offers to a higher category.  I know that this seems a bit odd, but it works for me!  Example - I booked a SY cabin that I liked due to the angled layout and location.  I might get a free upgrade to a SS in a location that I do not like (perhaps next to the outside elevators) - not a good deal to me.  Plus, I still can receive an upsell offer to a Neptune suite for small fee (IMO).  In my experience, it is difficult to get a free upgrade to a Neptune as HAL really works to upsell these cabins first (more money for them).  

On another booking I selected my SC cabin which was just beyond the SAs on the same deck as the Neptune Lounge, while I might (very possible in this case) get a free upgrade to a SB on the deck below.  Since the SAs are not in that much of a better location (IMO), missing out on a free upgrade to SA is not a big deal IMO.

This doesn't sound at all odd to me. It makes perfect sense. I often see no sense at all in what HAL considers "higher" categories, and all your examples are ones I would use myself. My present booking (Amsterdam in August) is an OV guarantee.  I am actually hoping not to be "upgraded" to an OV on promenade deck.  I much prefer the lower decks - cabin is bigger and window looks right out on water and not on people walking...  Of course I will be happy wherever we land, but I completely understand your logic in saying "no upgrade".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moriah said:

Oooooh, okay, now that kind of makes sense.  Sounds like there are some cabins available to lock into at the price of a guarantee OR you can choose to take your chances and possibly get upgraded.  Got it.  Good to know! Thank you.

This makes sense.

Two scenarios here:

GUAR cabin booking --  you are assigned by HAL to a cabin just before sail date

Guarenteed price for a specific cabin.  This is normal. Maybe means "non-refundable"?

12 hours ago, dcdiva said:

I don't ever remember them specifying a letter category in my conversation with the booking agent. But I'll check my original email confirmation. Undoubtedly, it was the least expensive option available for a solo traveler. 

When HAL quotes a guarantee price, it is for the lowest step of the class you choose, for example: N, HH, VH, SZ, or SC. However, it is possible to do a guarantee at any  step level, for a higher price. The price you would pay for, say, a VD gty is exactly the same as if you had chosen a specific VD at that time.

Edited by catl331

19 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

This makes sense.

Two scenarios here:

GUAR cabin booking --  you are assigned by HAL to a cabin just before sail date

Guarenteed price for a specific cabin.  This is normal. Maybe means "non-refundable"?

Not in my 2 recent cases.  Got the low guarantee price for a specific cabin and have a fully refundable fare.  I could have gotten a non-refundable fare and saved a bit, but I normally do not do this as I have found that I can catch a fare drop or two before we sail with the refundable fare.

However, remember that HAL is constantly changes their rules and procedures.  What works today might not tomorrow!

Edited by DaveOKC

9 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

However, remember that HAL is constantly changes their rules and procedures.  What works today might not tomorrow!

Consistently Inconsistent could be HAL's motto!

Edited by catl331

8 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

I think there is a real problem with vocabulary here. What exactly is a "guareatee" price"?  HAL won't raise or lower it?

Booking a Guarantee price and Guarantee cabin -- same thing?

For all the years I've cruised with HAL, Guarantee has meant that you choose a category and pay the "guarantee price", which means, a lower price than usual, but that you can't choose your cabin.  The "guarantee" is that you will be assigned a cabin in a category the same or higher than the one you paid for in that deal.  Now I understand from a previous poster  in this thread that it can also sometimes mean you choose a particular cabin in that category, but that you will not be changed to a higher category.  Very confusing, but interesting, I had not known there was that second possibility.  I don't think it's always possible to choose your cabin when paying the guarantee price, but apparently it is sometimes.  But you are choosing only among the actual particular category - and usually it's the lowest category for that type of cabin.  (SC for Neptune suites for example)

Edited by Moriah

22 minutes ago, Moriah said:

For all the years I've cruised with HAL, Guarantee has meant that you choose a category and pay the "guarantee price", which means, a lower price than usual, but that you can't choose your cabin.  The "guarantee" is that you will be assigned a cabin in a category the same or higher than the one you paid for in that deal.  Now I understand from a previous poster  in this thread that it can also sometimes mean you choose a particular cabin in that category, but that you will not be changed to a higher category.  Very confusing, but interesting, I had not known there was that second possibility.  I don't think it's always possible to choose your cabin when paying the guarantee price, but apparently it is sometimes.  But you are choosing only among the actual particular category - and usually it's the lowest category for that type of cabin.  (SC for Neptune suites for example)

This is good!

I've been booking GUARs for 20 years on HAL and have never seen two prices for the same thing: for example - pick your own cabin in the K range or book a GUAR K ( and get assigned a cabin prior to boarding) - both the same price.

I do think a standardized vocabulary would help with understanding this issue.  Some use "higher category", some mention "better category"  -- big difference.   Does "Category"  mean K, MM, G or inside, outside, balcony? 

Edited by SilvertoGold

10 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

This is good!

I've been booking GUARs for 20 years on HAL and have never seen two prices for the same thing: for example - pick your own cabin in the K range or book a GUAR K - both the same price.

I do think a standardized vocabulary would help with understanding this issue.  Some use "higher category", some mention "better category"  -- big difference.   Does "Category"  mean K, MM, G or inside, outside, balcony? 

Yes, it's very confusing, especially to those new to HAL.  The letters are the category. "Ocean View",  "veranda" or "suite" or "Inside" are not actually categories - they are types of cabins - and within each type there are so many categories!  The lower in the alphabet, the lower the category. (A to Z with A highest...)  This does NOT mean, to my mind "worse", but it does mean "worse" in the minds of whoever assigns these categories, and the lower the category, the cheaper.  It has to do mostly with location of the cabin.  For example, many would rather have an aft SC or SB cabin than an SA directly next to the Neptune Lounge, but SC is a lower category, and costs less because in the minds of the category-assigners, the farther from the NL, the "worse" the location!  You really have to look at the deck plans and see what's what and not just assume that the "lower" categories within a type of cabin are less desirable (to you). 

Edited by Moriah

10 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Yes, it's very confusing, especially to those new to HAL.  The letters are the category. "Ocean View",  "veranda" or "suite" or "Inside" are not actually categories - they are types of cabins - and within each type there are so many categories!  The lower in the alphabet, the lower the category. (A to Z with A highest...)  This does NOT mean, to my mind "worse", but it does mean "worse" in the minds of whoever assigns these categories, and the lower the category, the cheaper.  It has to do mostly with location of the cabin.  For example, many would rather have an aft SC or SB cabin than an SA directly next to the Neptune Lounge, but SC is a lower category, and costs less because in the minds of the category-assigners, the farther from the NL, the "worse" the location!  You really have to look at the deck plans and see what's what and not just assume that the "lower" categories within a type of cabin are less desirable (to you). 

This is a good primer for newbies.  In over 20 years booking GUARs on HAL I have not experienced some of the things you take as gospel.  Such inconsistency on HAL's part, I suspect!

Just too confuse the issue further, IMO HAL "reserves" or uses certain categories (like SZ in the Signature and SC in the Neptunes) for marketing purposes and often holds back on offering them for sale early on.  Later on, when they want to generate sales, these categories open up for booking, most times only as a "guarantee".  That way, if you want to select a specific cabin in the overall category (like Neptune) you have to move up to a SB or SA.  This enables HAL to push sales without reducing prices on most of the cabins.

However, this new situation (being able to book a specific SC) is obviously not following this pattern, so I would not be surprised if it was changed.

3 hours ago, Moriah said:

Now I understand from a previous poster  in this thread that it can also sometimes mean you choose a particular cabin in that category, but that you will not be changed to a higher category. 

No no.  There is always the possibility you can be changed to a higher category.  The only time you won’t be is if you mark your reservation as “Do not upgrade”.

18 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Just too confuse the issue further, IMO HAL "reserves" or uses certain categories (like SZ in the Signature and SC in the Neptunes) for marketing purposes and often holds back on offering them for sale early on.  Later on, when they want to generate sales, these categories open up for booking, most times only as a "guarantee".  That way, if you want to select a specific cabin in the overall category (like Neptune) you have to move up to a SB or SA.  This enables HAL to push sales without reducing prices on most of the cabins.

However, this new situation (being able to book a specific SC) is obviously not following this pattern, so I would not be surprised if it was changed.

Actually I have always been able to book a specific SC cabin.  I would just look at the deck plan and tell my TA which cabin I wanted and it was invariably less than the price for an SB or SA.  What may have changed is this now being called a "guarantee price".  My understanding was that you could book an SC and choose your cabin, OR book a "guarantee SC", meaning you would get an SC or a higher category.  If the price is the same either way, I guess that's where the confusion comes in.  I think in some cases booking SC as a guarantee would be less expensive than choosing a particular one, but perhaps not always. Same with SZ as opposed to SS.  I liked the location of an SZ on deck 8 on Oosterdam and was happy it turned out to be cheaper than an SS.  Locations that are "better" are so arbitrary... and if we'd been offered a "guarantee SZ", meanting we could possibly be "upgraded" to an SS, I would have turned it down because I liked the specific cabin location I chose...