Guaranteed Stateroom Experiences

The reason I was rather upset with the final assignment was I was led to believe by 3 HAL contacts that my mobility issues noted 3 times would be very influential in that final NS assignment. Not having experience with Guarantees I believed them. Again, lesson learned.

Did OP get a cabin assignment yet?

I may need some help from you all in talking me off the ledge. Logically, I know that my cruise doesn’t leave for 14 whole days and there is still time for my guarantee to be assigned. I also know that if all else fails, I will get a cabin assignment at the pier. But the irrational me is incredibly anxious. I don’t have to worry, right? 

6 minutes ago, dcdiva said:

Did OP get a cabin assignment yet?

I may need some help from you all in talking me off the ledge. Logically, I know that my cruise doesn’t leave for 14 whole days and there is still time for my guarantee to be assigned. I also know that if all else fails, I will get a cabin assignment at the pier. But the irrational me is incredibly anxious. I don’t have to worry, right? 

No worries.  It will happen, probably around Day 10.

Thanks for all the good info. Hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst — with both the timing and the ultimate cabin assignment. I’ll post back if I get a cabin before I get to the pier. 

On 6/30/2019 at 7:46 AM, przyk said:

Do guarantee assignments ever get made earlier than 10 days out?  My cruise is not until August.

We have had assignments at 28 days, and as late as 8 days. There have been reports of assignments at the pier. Frequently discussed here.

We have a GTY booking for a 24 day Collector Cruise next May, in a Neptune Suite. As the only thing available was a GTY booking, we expect this will be one assigned 25 or so days out, as that has been our experience in the past.

We have had guarantee cabins on 2 sailings... the first time we were assigned the day before the cruise, the second time we were assigned approx. 2 weeks out. Both times we were assigned cabins within the category that we had booked.

So then if the cabin has not been assigned do you just print your luggage tags without the cabin number?  If you have an assigned cabin the cabin number is listed on the tags, right?

Sorry to ask such basic questions, but I have actually spent a lot of time reading old posts as I always do before asking a question and I have not seen my specific questions asked.

Edited by przyk
add content

28 minutes ago, przyk said:

So then if the cabin has not been assigned do you just print your luggage tags without the cabin number?  If you have an assigned cabin the cabin number is listed on the tags, right?

Yes and yes.  You can just use a Sharpie to write in the cabin number whenever you get it.  Porters at the pier will do it too.

3 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Yes and yes.  You can just use a Sharpie to write in the cabin number whenever you get it.  Porters at the pier will do it too.

Thank you, imagine me overthinking things again.

Still no cabin assignment, but got this notice this morning. So, no idea when I am expected to board.  I assume that I just go with rest of my party. 

Please be advised that guests embarking in Vancouver on Sunday, July 14, 2019, should expect delays during the embarkation and immigration process. To enhance the check-in and boarding experience, we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. Guests should not arrive prior to the suggested check-in time below. Boarding will begin at 12:00 noon and all guests must be onboard by 3:30 PM.
10:30 AM - Decks 8 & 10 - Navigation & Observation Decks
11:30 PM - Decks 6 & 7 - Upper Verandah & Rotterdam Decks
1:30 PM - Deck 5 - Verandah Deck
2:30 PM - Decks 1 & 4 - Main & Upper Promenade Decks

Also, how will luggage work if I don’t have a cabin number before arriving at the pier? 

12 hours ago, dcdiva said:

Also, how will luggage work if I don’t have a cabin number before arriving at the pier? 

The porters should have access to a list of cabin assignments. You can ask and then add the number to your luggage tag.

But chances are your cabin number will be known no later than several days before the cruise. The latest I have ever had a cabin assignment made was 24 hours before embarkation while I was in the air on the way to the port.

17 hours ago, dcdiva said:

Still no cabin assignment, but got this notice this morning. So, no idea when I am expected to board.  I assume that I just go with rest of my party. 

Please be advised that guests embarking in Vancouver on Sunday, July 14, 2019, should expect delays during the embarkation and immigration process. To enhance the check-in and boarding experience, we have implemented a progressive cruise check-in schedule. Guests should not arrive prior to the suggested check-in time below. Boarding will begin at 12:00 noon and all guests must be onboard by 3:30 PM.
10:30 AM - Decks 8 & 10 - Navigation & Observation Decks
11:30 PM - Decks 6 & 7 - Upper Verandah & Rotterdam Decks
1:30 PM - Deck 5 - Verandah Deck
2:30 PM - Decks 1 & 4 - Main & Upper Promenade Decks

These times are just as stated -- **suggested**.  You can just go to the pier, as you said, with the others in your party.  Don't worry, your cabin number, if you don't have it by then, will be on a list carried by the porters and as someone else mentioned, you can just write it on your luggage tag(which you should already have attached to your bag). 

On 6/25/2019 at 9:00 PM, TheWanderingViolet said:

Hello!

Leaving on the Zuiderdam on 06 July! This will be my second sailing on this boat in a year. Last go I selected a room and this go - I have no idea why but ended up going with a guarantee Verandah. Now Im

questioning my decision... anyone have experience booking this way? 

It looks like there are only four cabins in that catagory (VH?) and had I known that was a steel vs plexi I would not have gone that route. Hoping for a different room 🤞🏻 

It is said that the best way to differentiate between a ship and a boat is to remember that “A ship can carry a boat, but a boat cannot carry a ship.”

3 hours ago, dockman said:

It is said that the best way to differentiate between a ship and a boat is to remember that “A ship can carry a boat, but a boat cannot carry a ship.”

My husband tells me many a sailor (as is his career) call their ship a boat. If he doesn't mind my usage of the terms interchangeably, Im probably just fine. But thanks. 

Edited by TheWanderingViolet

I don’t recommend guaranteed cabins, as you have zero control on where you will be placed on the ship.   Upgrades are not always as great as they sound if you end up above or below noisy places like kitchen, pool deck, lounge, theater, music venue, anchor port,  etc.   

3 minutes ago, MeandtheSea said:

I don’t recommend guaranteed cabins, as you have zero control on where you will be placed on the ship.   Upgrades are not always as great as they sound if you end up above or below noisy places like kitchen, pool deck, lounge, theater, music venue, anchor port,  etc.   

Yes and no. It all depends what category cabin you book into. If you book a higher level cabin, like a suite, there is rarely a serious issue with where your cabin might be.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MeandtheSea said:

Usually the reason someone books guarantee is the price is right!  For my upcoming Amsterdam cruise, the price for the guarantee was quite a bit less than for choosing a cabin.  Trying to make this a budget cruise all around, so we're getting an OV - we booked the lowest guarantee category, and we'll be happy with any OV on the ship.  If we get a balcony, we'll actually be less happy (I know, we're strange)! 

16 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Usually the reason someone books guarantee is the price is right!  For my upcoming Amsterdam cruise, the price for the guarantee was quite a bit less than for choosing a cabin.  Trying to make this a budget cruise all around, so we're getting an OV - we booked the lowest guarantee category, and we'll be happy with any OV on the ship.  If we get a balcony, we'll actually be less happy (I know, we're strange)! 

I agree.  You can save big on guaranteed cabins.  They are good options for savings, and sometimes you get a good cabin.   I hope you have a great cruise.  You will enjoy it no matter where your room is.  Have fun.  Hope you get a good room. 

• Like 1

Interesting side note.  On my last three bookings, all made about 9-10 months out, the website showed us the "guarantee only" price, but when we went to book, we were able to actually select a specific cabin in that category.  A bit unusual I know, but something to be aware of.  It might be since we booked so far out, but who knows?

Sometimes this can really work out well.  Just this past week I was able to book a 7 day Pacific Coastal cruise in the SC category (Neptune) and get a specific SC cabin normally these Coastals are only sold as guarantees.  The SC cabin we selected is on the same deck as the Neptune Lounge and is right next door to a SA cabin, so I think it should be exactly the same size.  IMO, this is better than being in some of the SBs that are a deck lower.  Because of this, I marked my reservation "Do Not Upgrade".

My point - when booking a guarantee, ask if it is possible to actually select your cabin in that category.  You might be surprised at the answer.

2 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Interesting side note.  On my last three bookings, all made about 9-10 months out, the website showed us the "guarantee only" price, but when we went to book, we were able to actually select a specific cabin in that category.  A bit unusual I know, but something to be aware of.  It might be since we booked so far out, but who knows?

Sometimes this can really work out well.  Just this past week I was able to book a 7 day Pacific Coastal cruise in the SC category (Neptune) and get a specific SC cabin normally these Coastals are only sold as guarantees.  The SC cabin we selected is on the same deck as the Neptune Lounge and is right next door to a SA cabin, so I think it should be exactly the same size.  IMO, this is better than being in some of the SBs that are a deck lower.  Because of this, I marked my reservation "Do Not Upgrade".

My point - when booking a guarantee, ask if it is possible to actually select your cabin in that category.  You might be surprised at the answer.

Wow, this is good to know, and if the SC you refer to is on a Vista or Signature ship, then yes, it is the exact same size as the SA Neptunes.  For some reason HAL thinks that far down the hall from the NL is such a "bad location" that it rates a lower category.  I always thought that was a bit silly, but if it saves you money that's great!

2 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Wow, this is good to know, and if the SC you refer to is on a Vista or Signature ship, then yes, it is the exact same size as the SA Neptunes.  For some reason HAL thinks that far down the hall from the NL is such a "bad location" that it rates a lower category.  I always thought that was a bit silly, but if it saves you money that's great!

Its on the Oosterdam.  I think HAL uses these SCs mostly for "promotional purposes", thus it is hard to actually book one of them (specific cabin).  When I saw it at $1549 pp for a 7 day cruise (with free grats) I jumped on it right away.

We have probably had 15 or so balcony cabins on various cruise lines including HAL.   They were all fine.  A number were outstanding-one on Princess and one on Carnival booked a few weeks and a few days respectively before sailing.

We would never, ever book a gty if we needed a handicap room.  We ended up in one on a Westerdam gty.  It was fine.  But after the assignment I did have our TA call to make certain that we were not depriving someone else who needed it of the cabin.  Did the same on boarding.  We were fine with the cabin but more than a little surprised that it ended up in the gty pool..

Reporting back as promised. Got my cabin assignment 5 minutes ago -- 9 days before sailing. Category K, which isn't really an upgrade. But it's on Deck 10 which works well. Two days ago, the rest of my party took an up-sell and moved from Deck 1 to Deck 10. I'll be just around the corner. 

• Like 2