Guaranteed Stateroom Experiences

Hello!

Leaving on the Zuiderdam on 06 July! This will be my second sailing on this boat in a year. Last go I selected a room and this go - I have no idea why but ended up going with a guarantee Verandah. Now Im

questioning my decision... anyone have experience booking this way? 

It looks like there are only four cabins in that catagory (VH?) and had I known that was a steel vs plexi I would not have gone that route. Hoping for a different room 🤞🏻 

There are MANY discussions on what happens when you book a GTY (short for guarantee booking). Chances are reasonable you will get a higher level cabin, given the limited number of VHs. But no one is going to be able to absolutely guarantee you get a higher level. Someone will end up in those VHs. 

You should get your cabin assignment any minute now, but it could be at the pier.

The common suggestion here is to book at the minimum level you will be happy with. Having a steel balcony wall, while less desirable, is not the end of the world. 

27 minutes ago, TheWanderingViolet said:

Hello!

Leaving on the Zuiderdam on 06 July! This will be my second sailing on this boat in a year. Last go I selected a room and this go - I have no idea why but ended up going with a guarantee Verandah. Now Im

It looks like there are only four cabins in that catagory (VH?) and had I known that was a steel vs plexi I would not have gone that route. Hoping for a different room 🤞🏻 

VH is the lowest cabin class you will be assigned.  If there are other, higher cabins available you will likely get one.

Keep watching your booking on the HAL website, time is very near for HAL to make the guarantee room assignments for that sailing.

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

There are MANY discussions on what happens when you book a GTY (short for guarantee booking). Chances are reasonable you will get a higher level cabin, given the limited number of VHs. But no one is going to be able to absolutely guarantee you get a higher level. Someone will end up in those VHs. 

You should get your cabin assignment any minute now, but it could be at the pier.

The common suggestion here is to book at the minimum level you will be happy with. Having a steel balcony wall, while less desirable, is not the end of the world. 

Im most definitely not expecting a higher level. Im kind of kicking myself for not selecting, as I did last August. Im quite short so sitting on the balcony with a steel wall in my face is not ideal, but agree - not the end of the wall and wont negatively impact my trip Im sure. 

Its all luck of the draw I suppose. 

Cheers! 

3 minutes ago, thinfool said:

VH is the lowest cabin class you will be assigned.  If there are other, higher cabins available you will likely get one.

Keep watching your booking on the HAL website, time is very near for HAL to make the guarantee room assignments for that sailing.

Thanks! I wasnt sure when the room would be assigned so Ill log back onto Holland in a few days to check for any updates 🙂 

I did an inside guarantee on the Eurodam last year. I ended up with an inside on deck 6, many categories above the class I booked, so I was very happy. I got my cabin assignment about 10 days out.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

48 minutes ago, vms said:

I did an inside guarantee on the Eurodam last year. I ended up with an inside on deck 6, many categories above the class I booked, so I was very happy. I got my cabin assignment about 10 days out.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for sharing your experience. And the timeline for receiving your cabin assignment. 

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

I had a VB guarentee on the Eurodam and was assigned a Neptune Suite 10 days before sailing.  It was my first guarentee purchase and the outcome was amazing.

Maybe they knew who you are: the photographer publicizing All.Things.HAL! and wanted to get in good with you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, crystalspin said:

Maybe they knew who you are: the photographer publicizing All.Things.HAL! and wanted to get in good with you.

It is certain that the Inventory Staff in the depths of the HAL offices in Seattle, use a random system, probably a dart board, for upgrades/upsales after reading lots of threads here on CC.  My HAL PCC has worked for HAL for many years and she still cannot figure out how staterooms are assigned/upsold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, TheWanderingViolet said:

Now Im

We usually book Guarantee.  Overall, we've been very happy with our assignments.  We've never ended up in the category we booked, and have gotten (mostly) excellent cabins.  Our most recent was booking a G oceanview and receiving a D oceanview.

• Like 1

I booked an inside gty on Westerdam for a 14 day collectors cruise, back in 2010.  Was given K1116.  One of the large cabins on Main deck.  Loved it!  In 2011 when I was booking a 12 day from Venice I booked that same cabin, but on Nieuw Amsterdam.  When I decided to add on the next 12 days, also sold as collectors cruise, my TA had to fight to keep the cabin, but she won.  M

12 hours ago, Crew News said:

It is certain that the Inventory Staff in the depths of the HAL offices in Seattle, use a random system, probably a dart board, for upgrades/upsales after reading lots of threads here on CC.  My HAL PCC has worked for HAL for many years and she still cannot figure out how staterooms are assigned/upsold.

I'v been given several theories by several different people in HAL  - one is that it is revenue based where they assign the higher fare bookings to the higher grade cabins and lower fares to lower grade.  Another was that it is done in date order with earlier bookings getting the higher grade rooms and later bookings getting the lower grade rooms, and yet another that it is randomized by a computer and auto assigned...... Personally I think it's done via Magic 8-Ball

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I'v been given several theories by several different people in HAL  - one is that it is revenue based where they assign the higher fare bookings to the higher grade cabins and lower fares to lower grade.  Another was that it is done in date order with earlier bookings getting the higher grade rooms and later bookings getting the lower grade rooms, and yet another that it is randomized by a computer and auto assigned...... Personally I think it's done via Magic 8-Ball

Amen.

I received an email about a booking change. Was excited to see where the roulette wheel stopped but it was just  bording pass change for the post cruise transfer. 

We are at 10 days today. Im sure ill be happy with whatever - if Im not Ill know for next year’s trip to pick a room 🙂 

Cheers 🍻 

• Like 1

I don't think this has been said yet but usually the first indication that you have been assigned will be discovered by opening up your luggage tag.  It seems to pop up there a couple of days before other places.

Roy

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I don't think this has been said yet but usually the first indication that you have been assigned will be discovered by opening up your luggage tag.  It seems to pop up there a couple of days before other places.

Roy

Thanks! Ill check that out 🙂 

I had to book a Guarantee Neptune Suite on the Oosterdam for last Feb. in order to get a greatly discounted fare. After the booking agent and the Special Needs Dept. alerting the Inventory Dept. of my mobility issues and desire to be close to forward or mid-ship elevators, I received the worst Neptune Suite location on the ship - Deck 4 way aft. I called HAL immediately after the assignment and was told to fax the Inventory Dept. with my request to please be assigned a different Neptune Suite in a more desirable location. Didn't happen. Not only was the NS in a horrible location for me, those aft NS are smaller than the others with the same amount of furniture. DH and I were constantly running into something. I contacted our personal cruise consultant after the cruise to book another cruise and mentioned what happened with the Oosterdam sailing. She said the best Neptune Suites go to those who pay full price and the Guarantees get what's left. Lesson learned.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

I had to book a Guarantee Neptune Suite on the Oosterdam for last Feb. in order to get a greatly discounted fare. After the booking agent and the Special Needs Dept. alerting the Inventory Dept. of my mobility issues and desire to be close to forward or mid-ship elevators, I received the worst Neptune Suite location on the ship - Deck 4 way aft. I called HAL immediately after the assignment and was told to fax the Inventory Dept. with my request to please be assigned a different Neptune Suite in a more desirable location. Didn't happen. Not only was the NS in a horrible location for me, those aft NS are smaller than the others with the same amount of furniture. DH and I were constantly running into something. I contacted our personal cruise consultant after the cruise to book another cruise and mentioned what happened with the Oosterdam sailing. She said the best Neptune Suites go to those who pay full price and the Guarantees get what's left. Lesson learned.

With all due respect, this shouldn't be a surprise. If doing a standard booking with cabin selection, most people are going to pick the most desirable locations. The aft NS are typically SB or SC category, which are priced lower for the reasons you state. The larger balcony many of these have is a possible plus for many people.