Sharing internet package

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

So.....bottom line here is if I purchase a 3 device Voom Surf/Stream I'll get one code ?

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Correct.

I thought if you have a multiple device package, you get multiple codes. I was once given 2 codes (by mistake, I assume) for my one device package. Because I had 2 codes, we were able to have 2 devices logged on at the same time.

Just now, cruiseguy1016 said:

I thought if you have a multiple device package, you get multiple codes. I was once given 2 codes (by mistake, I assume) for my one device package. Because I had 2 codes, we were able to have 2 devices logged on at the same time.

Sounds like you got two one-device packages.

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. 

Who gets kicked off if a 4th person logs on?

" No Sense" I thought my question made complete sense. I have 3 cabins....adult children in the other two...who can follow instructions (or their college degrees were a waste of money for me :classic_ohmy:) to only use one device at a time. My original question was would I get one code or three ?

Edited by Ashland

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

" No Sense" I thought my question made complete sense. I have 3 cabins....adult children in the other two...who can follow instructions (or their college degrees were a waste of money for me :classic_ohmy:) to only use one device at a time. My original question was would I get one code or three ?

You misunderstand 

What I said was getting just one code makes no sense from a consumer standpoint.

19 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

You misunderstand 

What I said was getting just one code makes no sense from a consumer standpoint.

Why not?

And remember, it is not what is best for the consumer, but what is best for the supplier.

Heck, with RCI IT, you are lucky you don't get a different code for every hour of use. 😄

Edited by SRF
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Why not?

And remember, it is not what is best for the consumer, but what is best for the supplier.

Heck, with RCI IT, you are lucky you don't get a different code for every hour of use. 😄

Mute point for me, so I really don't care. 🤣

I was just trying to be supportive 😉

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to jump on here but I am hoping to get a question answered without starting a new post. I think I am reading too much information and getting myself confused!! 🙂 This will be our first time on RCL so I am not familiar with the internet plans. We are a family of 4 (two teenagers so lots of internet time)! If I pay for the 4 devices under only one person can we call be logged on at the same time? If so, what would be the reason to have everyone pay for their own internet? Is it faster if everyone has their own? We will be on the Freedom of the Seas if that makes a difference. 

Thanks! 

Edited by Mom2CrazyKids
add information

3 minutes ago, Mom2CrazyKids said:

Sorry to jump on here but I am hoping to get a question answered without starting a new post. I think I am reading too much information and getting myself confused!! 🙂 This will be our first time on RCL so I am not familiar with the internet plans. We are a family of 4 (two teenagers so lots of internet time)! If I pay for the 4 devices under only one person can we call be logged on at the same time? If so, what would be the reason to have everyone pay for their own internet? Is it faster if everyone has their own? 

Thanks! 

If you get a 4-device package, then 4-devices can be logged in at the same time.  Everyone would share the same login credentials.

Separate packages have separate login credentials.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

If you get a 4-device package, then 4-devices can be logged in at the same time.  Everyone would share the same login credentials.

Separate packages have separate login credentials.

Is there a reason to get separate packages?? It seems silly to do that if everyone can be logged on. I feel like I am missing something. It seems like $160 for 4 people for 7 days is a great deal! 

3 minutes ago, Mom2CrazyKids said:

Is there a reason to get separate packages?? It seems silly to do that if everyone can be logged on. I feel like I am missing something. It seems like $160 for 4 people for 7 days is a great deal! 

Yes, that does seem like a very good price.

The only reason to get separate packages is to get separate login credentials.

If the 4 of you only have 4 devices, then you have no problem.  However, if there are more than 4 devices, then when that 5th device logs in, someone will get kicked off.  So there will be access management issues if you have more than 4 devices.

With separate packages, no one is kicking anyone else off.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

Yes, that does seem like a very good price.

The only reason to get separate packages is to get separate login credentials.

If the 4 of you only have 4 devices, then you have no problem.  However, if there are more than 4 devices, then when that 5th device logs in, someone will get kicked off.  So there will be access management issues if you have more than 4 devices.

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help!! 

The internet is very affordable when you can share a 4-device package.  It gets pricey when you're paying full-price for each person, but the discounted rate for four devices is quite reasonable (usually around $7/person/day).  

There is absolutely no benefit to paying more and getting four individual 1-device packages. 

The speed of the internet is "shared" by everyone on the entire ship who is accessing it at that moment, not just by those in an particular package.  Speed in general is going to be better in the middle of the night, because fewer people in general are using the internet.  If you buy four different packages or share one 4-device package, your speed will always be the same.

As Bob said, you just need to make sure that people log off one device if they want to sign on with a different device.  For example, you'd need to log off your phone first if you want to log on to your tablet or laptop. I go to logoff.com in my browser to make sure it registers with the system instead of just turning off wifi on my device.  Some ships will kick off a device if a fifth device logs on, other ships just won't let the fifth device log on at all until one of the other four is logged off -- it just depends what system that ship uses.

Hope this helps.

13 minutes ago, brillohead said:

The internet is very affordable when you can share a 4-device package.  It gets pricey when you're paying full-price for each person, but the discounted rate for four devices is quite reasonable (usually around $7/person/day).  

There is absolutely no benefit to paying more and getting four individual 1-device packages. 

The speed of the internet is "shared" by everyone on the entire ship who is accessing it at that moment, not just by those in an particular package.  Speed in general is going to be better in the middle of the night, because fewer people in general are using the internet.  If you buy four different packages or share one 4-device package, your speed will always be the same.

As Bob said, you just need to make sure that people log off one device if they want to sign on with a different device.  For example, you'd need to log off your phone first if you want to log on to your tablet or laptop. I go to logoff.com in my browser to make sure it registers with the system instead of just turning off wifi on my device.  Some ships will kick off a device if a fifth device logs on, other ships just won't let the fifth device log on at all until one of the other four is logged off -- it just depends what system that ship uses.

Hope this helps.

Perfect, thank you so much. I almost bought 4 packages so I am glad I decided to ask! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mom2CrazyKids said:

Perfect, thank you so much. I almost bought 4 packages so I am glad I decided to ask! 

I wish the Royal website were more helpful in how it explains things.... I'm glad that your Cruise Critic family was able to help you save some big money!!!

31 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Why, so RCI can make less money? Not going to happen. 

You never know, they might make more if people understood how things work.  Some people think they have to buy a separate package for each person, and at $15 each, that comes to $60/day for a family of four, which is $420 for a week.  Someone might think, "for four hundred bucks, the kids can just unplug for the week" and not get anything.  

But if a 4-device package is only $27/day, they could get the whole week for $189, which would be much more reasonable.  So instead of getting nothing, Royal would make $189.  And internet is one of those things that is basically pure profit -- they've already paid for the infrastructure to install the wifi.  (Galley, ship, bridge, and behind-the-scenes tours are another source of basically pure profit, since they're already paying the staff to be on the ship in the first place.)