formal nights

delgirl

On 8/4/2019 at 2:54 PM, SarahHben said:

Thanks Annie, I don't own any suitable black clothes at the moment so may have to keep a look out for something just in case. It does seem silly for P&O not to tell people in advance!

It is not that heavily adhered to. 

Michelle wore a beautiful blue dress on black and white night on last years Xmas markets cruise on Aurora, only to find the other 2 ladies on our table had done exactly the same... 

So much for her wanting to stand out... 

We see it as just another formal night. 

I of course, am always dressed like a penguin on every formal night, I really need to jazz it up a bit.. 

Andy

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:54 PM, SarahHben said:

Thanks Annie, I don't own any suitable black clothes at the moment so may have to keep a look out for something just in case. It does seem silly for P&O not to tell people in advance!

Just of Britannia and I didn't wear black or white on the themed night. Most people did, but I didn't own anything that colour and as I'm pregnant wasn't about to buy a new outfit just for a few hours! Nobody looked at me funny and I did see others in all sorts of colours. Hubby wore a dark blue suit as his black one isn't nearly so nice.

17 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Michelle wore a beautiful blue dress on black and white night on last years Xmas markets cruise on Aurora, only to find the other 2 ladies on our table had done exactly the same... 

I of course, am always dressed like a penguin on every formal night, I really need to jazz it up a bit.. 

Andy

Now Andy I do like formal nights but if I could find a nice blue/red/green sparkling and shiny DJ that would fit I would wear it like a shot. I saw a photo of Pete from Manchester with a multicoloured one which I loved. He said he was not sure if he would get away with it. I would wear it no problem at all. 

I think this all all stems from my Round Table background.

BTW I do not have a black bow tie. White/black and white/red/green/lilac/music/teddy bears.

1 hour ago, daiB said:

Now Andy I do like formal nights but if I could find a nice blue/red/green sparkling and shiny DJ that would fit I would wear it like a shot. I saw a photo of Pete from Manchester with a multicoloured one which I loved. He said he was not sure if he would get away with it. I would wear it no problem at all. 

BTW I do not have a black bow tie. White/black and white/red/green/lilac/music/teddy bears.

That's the route to go down Dai. 

Us men should make a conscious effort to Jazz it up a bit on formal nights. 

I saw Pet's  jacket and would love it. 

I'm going sparkly, off to do a Google search... 

Andy

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

That's the route to go down Dai. 

Us men should make a conscious effort to Jazz it up a bit on formal nights. 

I saw Pet's  jacket and would love it. 

I'm going sparkly, off to do a Google search... 

Andy

A bit like these, only mine would need more material.

😎

27024E74-4888-4F06-A2B4-3268970D4902.jpeg

On 9/12/2019 at 5:12 PM, AndyMichelle said:

Andy

I have worn a formal bolo tie instead of a bow tie ever since I saw them worn at a formal occasion in Arizona whilst traversing Route 66. Something different and a good conversation starter. The one which I usually wear is similar to that in the attached photo (not of me)

thJ9ZT93MX.jpg.1f346c78ec50b7bd6daf03b51d13daf3.jpg

Edited by Denarius

3 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I have worn a formal bolo tie instead of a bow tie ever since I saw them worn at a formal occasion in Arizona whilst traversing Route 66. Something different and a good conversation starter. The one which I usually wear is similar to that in the attached photo (not of me)

Very smart indeed.

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

Very dapper 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 12:23 AM, Eglesbrech said:

I would agree that Celebrity is dressy on formal nights, some amazing outfits.

We've done 2 Celebrity cruises and while there were some people very well dressed, the majority didn't wear anything different on Evening Chic nights. The man at the table next to us had 2 polo shirts it seemed- 1 navy, 1 black - and that's all he ever wore for all 11 nights.

On 9/13/2019 at 1:41 PM, daiB said:

A bit like these, only mine would need more material.

😎

27024E74-4888-4F06-A2B4-3268970D4902.jpeg

Moss Bros have flamboyant DJs in their Trafford Centre branch, presumaby in other branches as well. https://www.moss.co.uk/moss-london-skinny-fit-black-and-white-floral-dress-jacket-966376177?jacket=true

Edited by Denarius

Hi

2 questions please;

I don't have a lovely black or white dress, but I have a lovely blue long dress I would like to wear on the Black and White night will that be ok? Secondly, I would like to pre-book in the Indian on board the Azura but don't know the formal night so anyone know? Or do I book and change if I get it wrong?

Many thanks.

2 minutes ago, ladyref said:

Hi

2 questions please;

I don't have a lovely black or white dress, but I have a lovely blue long dress I would like to wear on the Black and White night will that be ok? Secondly, I would like to pre-book in the Indian on board the Azura but don't know the formal night so anyone know? Or do I book and change if I get it wrong?

Many thanks.

A blue dress is fine, you won't be the only one. 

Black & white is a guide, as long as you stick to the usual formal rules you will be fine. 

Depending on the length of cruise, formal nights are usually on sea days and won't usually be the first or last nights. 

Offers are often available on board for Sindhu, especially the first night, so might be worth waiting until you are on board. 

Have a fantastic time, 

Andy 

11 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

A blue dress is fine, you won't be the only one. 

Black & white is a guide, as long as you stick to the usual formal rules you will be fine. 

Depending on the length of cruise, formal nights are usually on sea days and won't usually be the first or last nights. 

Offers are often available on board for Sindhu, especially the first night, so might be worth waiting until you are on board. 

Have a fantastic time, 

Andy 

Oh great Andy, thank you!

My Mum and Dad missed getting booked into the Sindhu a few years ago so I was trying to jump the queue...

What sort of offers?

14 minutes ago, ladyref said:

Oh great Andy, thank you!

My Mum and Dad missed getting booked into the Sindhu a few years ago so I was trying to jump the queue...

What sort of offers?

A third off and free sparkling stuff was offered for the first night on our last cruise in June. 

If it is important to you, then might be better to book to save any disappointment. 

Andy 

3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

A third off and free sparkling stuff was offered for the first night on our last cruise in June. 

If it is important to you, then might be better to book to save any disappointment. 

Andy 

Knowing my luck, I would book it now and clash with a formal night. lol

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 11:13 AM, daiB said:

I assume you are referencing this one?

19855D5B-E22C-49AA-8E89-1EB75F58F533.jpeg

I also have this red one worn on QM2

B02C28FE-41AF-494B-9541-BB6201D1E059.jpeg

Edited by peteukmcr

4 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Just wondering, how do you pack your suits and posh frocks?

Do you take them in clothes carriers as hand luggage,  label clothes carriers for porters and send with suitcases or pack them in suitcases?

Thanks

Suitcase for us

4 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Just wondering, how do you pack your suits and posh frocks?

Do you take them in clothes carriers as hand luggage,  label clothes carriers for porters and send with suitcases or pack them in suitcases?

Thanks

We each have a garment carrier that is quite substantial (like a suitcase) and pack our posh clothes in those.

7 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

We each have a garment carrier that is quite substantial (like a suitcase) and pack our posh clothes in those.

Thank you, do you take them as hand luggage or send them on with your suitcases?

I think there is lots of confusion between black tie and black and white night. As has been said when the theme is black and white it is always one of the black tie (formal) evenings where most people wear black, white or black and white. Dark grey or navy are often also seen. This is optional and not obligatory but depending on the individual cruise and passengers on it if you wore a bright colour you might or might not stand out. On the other black tie nights any colour can be worn and you see lots of lovely colours, the men sometimes match their bow tie to their ladies dress. I do think some people thing they have to wear black on all formal evenings which they definitely do not. 

On Tropical evening not as many people dress up as they did few years ago, when all the waiters, cabin stewards and bar tenders used to wear tropical as well. On our last few cruises only about 30% of passengers wore tropical if that. On 60s and 70s evening very very few dress up, except the entertainment staff.