formal nights

delgirl

34 minutes ago, nomadgirluk said:

We have just returned from a cruise on Ventura to northern Europe and also did the Fjords last June.  On both cruises, smart shorts were acceptable everywhere except the main dining rooms and speciality restaurants.  My husband wore black tie on the formal nights and long trousers and jacket on casual nights in the main dining room, but wore smart shorts on every evening in the buffet (as did many others).  The only rule regarding long trousers applies to main dining rooms and speciality restaurants only.

I wish P&O would make their minds up as to exactly what the dress code is, and then enforce it. If you can wear shorts in the Caribbean,  why are you not supposed  to wear them in the Mediterranean?  It makes no sense!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

I wish P&O would make their minds up as to exactly what the dress code is, and then enforce it. If you can wear shorts in the Caribbean,  why are you not supposed  to wear them in the Mediterranean?  It makes no sense!

It does not make sense.

The only reason I can think of is that it is regarded as being hotter in the Caribbean than in the Mediterranean, but this is not necessarily so. I have sailed in both a number of times. I have found that in the winter cruising season the max temperature in the Caribbean rarely exceeds 30c, making it generally pleasant. Not so the Med, particularly the eastern part where temperatures are often much higher.

2 minutes ago, Denarius said:

It does not make sense.

The only reason I can think of is that it is regarded as being hotter in the Caribbean than in the Mediterranean, but this is not necessarily so. I have sailed in both a number of times. I have found that in the winter cruising season the max temperature in the Caribbean rarely exceeds 30c, making it generally pleasant. Not so the Med, particularly the eastern part where temperatures are often much higher.

The ships are air conditioned so the temp indoors will be similar wherever you cruise. It is likely more to do with the staff/maitre de on the MDR door as they will determine on the night who is/isn't allowed in. If cruise lines were more consistent and stuck to their own rules/advise then people wouldn't be so confused or wouldn't try and push the boundaries at every opportunity. 

• Like 5

On 7/1/2019 at 10:13 PM, Mim Lloyd said:

We've booked our first P&O cruise after many on RCI and Celebrity. How formal are the formal nights? We don't 'do' formal. We don't mind smart casual which is perfectly fine on RCI and Celebrity, but we certainly don't waste our flight luggage allowance by packing frocks, suits and proper shoes. My husband spent all his working life as an accountant having to wear a suit and tie for work every day and just wouldn't do it on holiday! 

We have been on 3 p o cruises we have only done smart nice top and black trousers me and polo  shirt and smart trousers hubby , on formal nights and eat in Buffett, .There only a few places you can't go during the evening  We may try formal next year . 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just wondering, on a cruise to or from the Caribbean, when exactly the ruling comes into force.  

In the case of our cruise on Britannia in March 2018 you knew it was time to stop wearing shorts soon after the Azores,it was too flipping cold!

I agree though that if it is acceptable in the Caribbean why not the Med,must be some sort of ...ism for that!

Formal nights can be an amusing culture clash.  On one Azura cruise I went on with my daughter we we allocated club dining on a table of eight.  First night two people failed to attend but the other four were a pair of couples, one experienced cruisers and the others were being introduced to cruising by them.  First night at dinner they asked us if we were dressing up the following day for the formal night.  I said, yes I have brought my tuxedo and my daughter has a special dress.  The others said they had not bothered to bring formal clothes and did we mind.   I said no it does not bother us at all.

On the formal night we got to the table last.  The two couples were dressed casually and the guys were both wearing knitted wool cardigans.  Never seem this before on a cruise.  The "missing couple" had turned up with the lady wearing a proper frock and the guy had a red military tuxedo complete with medals.  Strangely I did not feel uncomfortable.

It takes all sorts.

Regards John

4 hours ago, john watson said:

Formal nights can be an amusing culture clash.  On one Azura cruise I went on with my daughter we we allocated club dining on a table of eight.  First night two people failed to attend but the other four were a pair of couples, one experienced cruisers and the others were being introduced to cruising by them.  First night at dinner they asked us if we were dressing up the following day for the formal night.  I said, yes I have brought my tuxedo and my daughter has a special dress.  The others said they had not bothered to bring formal clothes and did we mind.   I said no it does not bother us at all.

On the formal night we got to the table last.  The two couples were dressed casually and the guys were both wearing knitted wool cardigans.  Never seem this before on a cruise.  The "missing couple" had turned up with the lady wearing a proper frock and the guy had a red military tuxedo complete with medals.  Strangely I did not feel uncomfortable.

It takes all sorts.

Regards John

Think that is what is causing a lot of problems IMO if it was a formal night they should not have been allowed into the MDR wearing wool cardigans and the couple that were experienced cruisers should have told them about the standards of dress on formal nights prior to the cruise.

• Like 5

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I'm really looking forward to the formal nights. I have just been sale shopping and accidentally bought a long sparkly dress, so I now have 3 long dresses for only 2 formal nights :classic_smile:

• Like 2

On 7/28/2019 at 2:31 PM, ollienbertsmum said:

Mim I could have written your post.  Starting to wonder if P and O is for us.  I didn't see about the formal dress code when I booked.  Last few cruises have been on NCL and one Princess in Alaska - DH has always been smart enough for me in a shirt and tie.  It is not a wedding.  He did wear a sports jacket at our wedding 30 years ago.  I am not really sure why it is not still in his wardrobe.  But that is not the point for us.  I don't want to waste my luggage allowance.  I am not taking a formal dress.  I can dress up like a pageant princess as good as the rest of them -  but I don't have room for my heels and sash.    If it was not for that aft cabin I would cancel.  

On 7/29/2019 at 10:18 PM, Tikka234 said:

We have been on 3 p o cruises we have only done smart nice top and black trousers me and polo  shirt and smart trousers hubby , on formal nights and eat in Buffett, .There only a few places you can't go during the evening  We may try formal next year . 

I didn't see any bumf about dressing when I booked via an internet company. Since this thread started I've checked further to see the 'rules.' They're not so different to RCI and Celebrity but those cruise lines and their passengers are more relaxed and less rigid and judgemental about what individual passengers consider formal dressing and to be honest, considering we pay a lot more to travel on their ships than P&O I'd have thought they'd be more fussy but they're not. After reading this thread I now have an image in my head of passengers on P&O ships being wide eyed on high alert status on formal nights for what they consider to be the inappropriately dressed, and then point and shout out en mass for the offensive sight of them to be removed!  Lol!  We like to travel light and certainly won't be replacing formal clothes with other things in our case so it looks we'll have to crawl into some dark corner of the buffet with the other undesirables! I just hope the rest of the cruise is okay.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I'm really looking forward to the formal nights. I have just been sale shopping and accidentally bought a long sparkly dress, so I now have 3 long dresses for only 2 formal nights :classic_smile:

Oh dear, that means you will have to book another cruise! 😉🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mim Lloyd said:

I didn't see any bumf about dressing when I booked via an internet company. Since this thread started I've checked further to see the 'rules.' They're not so different to RCI and Celebrity but those cruise lines and their passengers are more relaxed and less rigid and judgemental about what individual passengers consider formal dressing and to be honest, considering we pay a lot more to travel on their ships than P&O I'd have thought they'd be more fussy but they're not. After reading this thread I now have an image in my head of passengers on P&O ships being wide eyed on high alert status on formal nights for what they consider to be the inappropriately dressed, and then point and shout out en mass for the offensive sight of them to be removed!  Lol!  We like to travel light and certainly won't be replacing formal clothes with other things in our case so it looks we'll have to crawl into some dark corner of the buffet with the other undesirables! I just hope the rest of the cruise is okay.

I don't get why you think P&O passengers are less relaxed and more judgemental if you have never travelled with them before. You will have to dine in the buffet if you don't dress for a formal night but that's your choice and people who actually care are far and few between.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SarahHben said:

For me it is not that I do not have formal dresses.  OK for DH formal wear in the summer is a shirt and tie, his jacket stays at home.  I have dresses that are fit for a pageant - I just don’t have the luggage allowance!  I am starting to understand that P and O attract a mainly UK passenger who would travel by coach or train and do not have to count the weight of their sequins.  

I am preparing to book in a speciality restaurant for the formal night if the shirt and tie does not pass the exacting standards of P and O.  

I am fairly tolerant of what people wear on Black Tie nights and do not have a strong political view.  In general, establishments insist on a high standard of dress because if everybody wears expensive clothes there is less chance of public disorder with people not wanting their clothes ruined and a higher cost of replacement. Similarly smoking used to be specifically banned on the dance floor in night clubs in case people ended up with a burn hole in their jacket etc.  It also keeps certain types of people from coming to the premises where a higher level exclusivity can be established generating increased revenue for the same sort of product. This is how night life has always worked commercially, businesses chase the money.

Regards John

• Like 1

I think that one day formal nights will be no more on P&O UK, to fall into line with other brands.  The 'Jacket night' went out of the porthole a couple of years ago.    I was recently on Holland America, no more formal dress/jacket and tie required on there and they were very upmarket, likewise Celebrity.

We are on Arcadia next year, Singapore - Southampton sector of the Worldie, no doubt the volunteer Dress Code Police will be out and about.   That will be followed by a Canaries cruise, same ship, will be interesting to compare the standards of dress on the two, will it be the Toffs and the Chavs?    Anyway do not fret, I shall have a jacket and tie of some description on board.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, john watson said:

In general, establishments insist on a high standard of dress because if everybody wears expensive clothes there is less chance of public disorder with people not wanting their clothes ruined and a higher cost of replacement. Similarly smoking used to be specifically banned on the dance floor in night clubs in case people ended up with a burn hole in their jacket etc.  It also keeps certain types of people from coming to the premises where a higher level exclusivity can be established generating increased revenue for the same sort of product. This is how night life has always worked commercially, businesses chase the money.

Regards John

To put a different view on this I used to be a roadie with a mobile disco some years ago,my mate was the DJ who came from a very well off family & as a result we used to get many gigs where the crowd were people from very wealthy families,many of these people really had no idea of the real value of anything,money didn't mean anything to them as Daddy paid for everything & as such didn't care what they damaged,they had no respect for other people or their property,it was a full time job for me trying to stop them damaging our gear so having money doesn't always keep things cool!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

I think that one day formal nights will be no more on P&O UK, to fall into line with other brands.  The 'Jacket night' went out of the porthole a couple of years ago.    I was recently on Holland America, no more formal dress/jacket and tie required on there and they were very upmarket, likewise Celebrity.

I don't agree and I certainly hope they don't drop Formal Nights. Its not about being upmarket, its about doing something different. The reality is that a dinner suit costs less than most young people pay for a pair of jeans so you can hardly describe wearing a dinner suit as being upmarket. Most other lines apart from Cunard don't do Ballroom Dancing and as far as I know RCL, in particular, have a great array of activities. If everyone does the same then they all merge into one and the only difference then is price. I certainly don't want to see that happening so instead of people moaning about Formal Nights why not just accept it or if it bothers people that much then select another cruise line. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

For me it is not that I do not have formal dresses.  OK for DH formal wear in the summer is a shirt and tie, his jacket stays at home.  I have dresses that are fit for a pageant - I just don’t have the luggage allowance!  I am starting to understand that P and O attract a mainly UK passenger who would travel by coach or train and do not have to count the weight of their sequins.  

I am preparing to book in a speciality restaurant for the formal night if the shirt and tie does not pass the exacting standards of P and O.  

Think you will find that the dress code is enforced in speciality restaurants on Formal nights.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know about all ships, but no formal dress code enforced in The Limelight Club or The Glass House on Britannia, or The Glass House on Azura or Ventura. We look for smart casual options for some formal nights as, while I really enjoy one or two on a 14 night cruise, four is too many.

3 hours ago, dgs1956 said:

if it bothers people that much then select another cruise line. 

Selecting the cruise line I would imagine is not how many people end up on a certain cruise,moreover a cruise going somewhere they fancy,a cruise at a time convenient to them or even a cruise they can afford may well all come before even considering who it is with.

16 hours ago, dgs1956 said:

.... and people who actually care are far and few between.

I think that is something worth remembering,out of the thousands that take cruises only a tiny fraction are interested enough to post on these forums!

Edited by snaefell
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

We are on Arcadia next year, Singapore - Southampton sector of the Worldie, no doubt the volunteer Dress Code Police will be out and about.   That will be followed by a Canaries cruise, same ship, will be interesting to compare the standards of dress on the two, will it be the Toffs and the Chavs?    Anyway do not fret, I shall have a jacket and tie of some description on board.

I'm on that Canaries cruise after the worldie, and I'll be dressing up in long sparkly gowns. I'm actually a Naturist, so don't dress at all when it's warm enough, but there's something about cruising Formal Nights and I love to dress up for them!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clodia said:

I'm on that Canaries cruise after the worldie, and I'll be dressing up in long sparkly gowns. I'm actually a Naturist, so don't dress at all when it's warm enough, but there's something about cruising Formal Nights and I love to dress up for them!

Your OH must wear a dicky bow then.