Prime 7 / Chartreuse reservation advice?

We don’t discuss politics or religion...period.  We have told people that on the rare occasion that this becomes a problem.  We have met many nice people on Regent and the experience of dinner added to our enjoyment.  Granted...we do not share every night.

I celebrated my birthday in Compass Rose at a table for 10 with the guests of my choice.  It was fantastic.  For days after people I did not know commented on how much fun we were having.  We had lobster tempura as an appetizer and then everybody ordered off the menu.  Three of my guests were crew.

1 hour ago, HotRoot said:

I celebrated my birthday in Compass Rose at a table for 10 with the guests of my choice.  It was fantastic.  For days after people I did not know commented on how much fun we were having.  We had lobster tempura as an appetizer and then everybody ordered off the menu.  Three of my guests were crew.

Could you let me know the positions (not names) of the crew members that were able to dine with you.  We have dined with officers but wish that we could dine with crew members.

rsail203 - yes - you can only book 1 reservation per restaurant online.  However, depending upon availability, you can book more reservations once onboard.

6 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Shared table rule #1:  Never be shy about asking people to change the subject if you find it uncomfortable.

I’d have no problem whatsoever either steering the conversation to a more benign topic or, worst case, asking for another table.  Life’s too short to put up with blowhards; a cruise is WAY too short to put up with blowhards.

One time (at the Captain's table) a couple wouldn't stop talking about the Costa Concordia (the Captain was Italian).  I was so horrified that I was speechless.  While we still dine with some people, we generally prefer dining by ourselves.  

10 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Could you let me know the positions (not names) of the crew members that were able to dine with you.  We have dined with officers but wish that we could dine with crew members.

rsail203 - yes - you can only book 1 reservation per restaurant online.  However, depending upon availability, you can book more reservations once onboard.

Social Hostess, Executive Concierge, Head Bartender

Edited by HotRoot

11 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

One time (at the Captain's table) a couple wouldn't stop talking about the Costa Concordia (the Captain was Italian).  I was so horrified that I was speechless.  While we still dine with some people, we generally prefer dining by ourselves.  

Once at the Captains table we had a couple that talked and talked and talked, even the captain was not happy.  As we ended with dessert, the waiter asked if we wanted coffee---I said I was to tried got up and thanked the Captain, he thanks us standing up-thanked the others and followed us out.  As we left the restaurant he said "Really thank you for ending the night and I'm really sorry you had to spend the night like that."  A few days later we saw him at lunch, he asked if he could join us.  Laughing he said only me this time.

18 hours ago, rsail203 said:

I'm a little confused. People mention that they book specialty restaurants more than once. I thought you can only book them once per cruise?

You can book each specialty restaurant one time online before the cruise. Once you’re onboard you can ask for additional bookings or, I’ve been told, just drop in and see if a table is available. 

Also, Regent now opens one or both of the specialty restaurants for lunch. At least they did on Explorer, but I'm assuming it's fleet-wide. We had a really fine, relaxed lunch at Chartreuse. No reservations are taken, or needed in our experience.

19 minutes ago, cAPS lOCK oN said:

Also, Regent now opens one or both of the specialty restaurants for lunch. At least they did on Explorer, but I'm assuming it's fleet-wide. We had a really fine, relaxed lunch at Chartreuse. No reservations are taken, or needed in our experience.

On Navigator with only one speciality restaurant, it is not open.  They use the space for Veranda overflow during lunch. 

1 hour ago, cAPS lOCK oN said:

Explorer is the only ship that opens specialty restaurants for lunch.  Assume that Splendor will as well.  Explorer is also the only ship that does the over the top Sunday brunch (set up in CR) when a sea day falls on a Sunday.  Regent apparently wants Explorer to be special and it definitely is (love Pacific Rim - also on Explorer only).

On our recent Barcelona to Venice cruise, we had already booked a Prime 7 and a Chartreuse reservation for our 14 night cruise. Our TA had told us that she couldn't book a second one in advance, but it shouldn't be a problem once on board. It was, and we were told we could not have a second reservation by both the ship's concierge (who we had already found to be a totally worthless person on our previous Regent cruise), and by the maitre d' at the restaurants (who had allowed us a second reservation on our previous Regent cruise). We enjoyed the main dining room, so it wasn't a big deal, but I would have liked a second dinner at Chartreuse.

As for the Miso Glazed Sea Bass, it was served at the Compass Rose on the night before our only sea day in the middle of our cruise. It was delicious, but I became ill with intestinal problems during the night, and it lasted most of the next day. It was good that it happened on our only sea day since I would have had to cancel an excursion and miss the experience of a port if it had been any other night.

I won't be ordering Miso Glazed Sea Bass again. I'm sure it's different on other cruises since the fish would be sourced from different places based on your cruise. I make miso glazed salmon at home. It also tastes very good, and has never made us sick.

Edited by SWFLAOK
typos

18 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Explorer is the only ship that opens specialty restaurants for lunch.  Assume that Splendor will as well.  Explorer is also the only ship that does the over the top Sunday brunch (set up in CR) when a sea day falls on a Sunday.  Regent apparently wants Explorer to be special and it definitely is (love Pacific Rim - also on Explorer only).

We did not have a Sunday sea day when on Explorer but we will on Splendor.  Is the big Sunday brunch a buffet with many choices?

1 hour ago, rcandkc said:

We did not have a Sunday sea day when on Explorer but we will on Splendor.  Is the big Sunday brunch a buffet with many choices?

Yes, many choices!  More than I have ever seen on Regent before.  Since it is "brunch" there are breakfast dishes as well as lunch items.  It comes close to the offerings that Regent puts out when they do a Galley lunch but you'd probably need to double the choices.

21 hours ago, cAPS lOCK oN said:

No, as others have said, not fleet wide.

Explorer opens either Chartreuse or Prime 7 for a lunchtime menu each day; both are open for lunch on sea days apart from those Sunday sea days when Compass Rose has a Sunday Brunch.

Compass Rose does not normally open for lunch on Explorer.

On all the other ships (Voyager, Mariner & Navigator) Compass Rose opens for lunch, but not the speciality restaurants. As well as lunchtime daily specials, which are also available in La Veranda, Compass Rose on the other ships also serves dishes selected from the the Explorer Chartreuse & Prime 7 lunch menus and from Pacific Rim; see extracts from Navigator Compass Rose lunch menu below:

73445DFE-FF28-4940-B932-085452FAECC1.thumb.jpeg.bfb3b6e0d0692f3dd4d2b788da098169.jpeg

384EC441-8472-413A-B046-8C85CE672737.thumb.jpeg.14637043706b5e5d8f10fae8fadc7cb7.jpeg

One of the dishes, Aromatic Duck, is shown below:

F47AD4B6-313B-42ED-8619-EAA7E4016B10.thumb.jpeg.c3c254b2822aa9b1eabed7260a401fc4.jpeg

Sorry about the photo; I had already taken a bite - delicious 😋 

I assume that Splendor will follow the Explorer model for lunch service.

Edited by flossie009

Not sure why a Pacific Rim menu was put on a Chartreuse thread since the TS will not be able to take advantage of it.  Some people will enjoy seeing it in case they ever sail on Explorer (or Splendor).

I just wanted to post that the reviews of Chartreuse have been mixed.  Based on CC only, I would say that slightly more members dislike Chartreuse than like it.  We do enjoy it but found ourselves having lunch in P7 rather than Chartreuse.  We do like the chicken in Chartreuse for lunch but it is a heavy meal.  On our last cruise I had dinner with Staff Captain Abhi as my DH had food poisoning from Cabo and couldn't eat.  He said that he has black foot chicken every time he is in Chartreuse and explained how these special chickens are raised.  So, when we see him in November, I'll have to try the black foot chicken.  

In terms of French food, wish that they could take Jacques (currently on Oceania) and put it on Regent.  That I the type of French dining that I appreciate!

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Not sure why a Pacific Rim menu was put on a Chartreuse thread since the TS will not be able to take advantage of it.  Some people will enjoy seeing it in case they ever sail on Explorer (or Splendor).

Maybe it was taken off the tread but where is the Pacific Rim menu?  What flossie009 posted was part of a daily Compass Rose lunch menu from Navigator (also Mariner and Voyager) showing menu items from Prime 7, Chartreuse and Pacific Rim on Explorer that are available on Navigator, et al.

Dave

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DaveFr said:

Maybe it was taken off the tread but where is the Pacific Rim menu?  What flossie009 posted was part of a daily Compass Rose lunch menu from Navigator (also Mariner and Voyager) showing menu items from Prime 7, Chartreuse and Pacific Rim on Explorer that are available on Navigator, et al.

Dave

Glad that you caught that.  I only saw "Pacific Rim" next to a menu item and was puzzled.  Having a rough few weeks - my DH fell off of a 20' ladder and broke his ankle (he was actually lucky).  I'm having to do everything and I'm at the point that I don't know up from down.  I'll try to read posts twice so that I don't rush to get back to my new (and hopefully temporary) new schedule.

11 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Glad that you caught that.  I only saw "Pacific Rim" next to a menu item and was puzzled.  Having a rough few weeks - my DH fell off of a 20' ladder and broke his ankle (he was actually lucky).  I'm having to do everything and I'm at the point that I don't know up from down.  I'll try to read posts twice so that I don't rush to get back to my new (and hopefully temporary) new schedule.

Sorry to hear about Dennis' fall.  Give him our best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Dave

Jackie - I came late to this thread because a) we were at the Fête des Vignerons AND it was our National day (Aug 1) and then we were "recovering" !!  (If you don't know what the Fête des Vignerons is - and it happens only once in a generation - Google it!   Cruises don't go there but it IS fantastic.  Next one somewhere around 2040 will be too but we won't be there...  (wonder why?!!)

I agree - normally Ken and I prefer to dine alone.   Sometimes with others (and you and Dennis would certainly be high on our list - and we need to plan that!!).   But we often just have dinner in the suite.   As you know we haven't been on Regent for a few years - back in those days we could "order in"  from the Compass Rose every night.  Now with the addition of Pacific Rim can we order in from there??  On Oceania we could order from any one of the restaurants.  Should also say that we take the "high end" suites.

48 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Jackie - I came late to this thread because a) we were at the Fête des Vignerons AND it was our National day (Aug 1) and then we were "recovering" !!  (If you don't know what the Fête des Vignerons is - and it happens only once in a generation - Google it!   Cruises don't go there but it IS fantastic.  Next one somewhere around 2040 will be too but we won't be there...  (wonder why?!!)

I agree - normally Ken and I prefer to dine alone.   Sometimes with others (and you and Dennis would certainly be high on our list - and we need to plan that!!).   But we often just have dinner in the suite.   As you know we haven't been on Regent for a few years - back in those days we could "order in"  from the Compass Rose every night.  Now with the addition of Pacific Rim can we order in from there??  On Oceania we could order from any one of the restaurants.  Should also say that we take the "high end" suites.

Hi Gerry

We would love to be included in one of your dinner arrangements. You seem so interesting!

sheila

Sheila

On 8/5/2019 at 2:06 AM, SWFLAOK said:

As for the Miso Glazed Sea Bass, it was served at the Compass Rose on the night before our only sea day in the middle of our cruise. It was delicious, but I became ill with intestinal problems during the night, and it lasted most of the next day. It was good that it happened on our only sea day since I would have had to cancel an excursion and miss the experience of a port if it had been any other night.

I won't be ordering Miso Glazed Sea Bass again. I'm sure it's different on other cruises since the fish would be sourced from different places based on your cruise

Sorry to hear that you had stomach problems after eating the fish. Did others on the cruise report the same issue?

We have enjoyed the popular & delicious Miso Glazed Sea Bass numerous times on our Regent cruises. In our experience it always uses the same high quality ingredients and is perfectly prepared & cooked.

No stomach problems for us I am glad to report.