6pm Sail Away

richbum

Sooo our cruise got changed......and now instead of leaving at 4, we leave at 6. We also have early dining......so does this mean we miss the sail away party to get to dinner? I know we can do the lido...but want to be in the dining room if possible.

30 minutes ago, richbum said:

Sooo our cruise got changed......and now instead of leaving at 4, we leave at 6. We also have early dining......so does this mean we miss the sail away party to get to dinner? I know we can do the lido...but want to be in the dining room if possible.

I would check with Maitre D as soon as you board and see if you can do YTD for that night due to Sailaway being moved.

This isn't their first time doing 6:00 p.m. Sailaway's. They will find a way to accommodate for the 6 p.m. Departure 

I bet they do the open seating. It's weird being in port when the movies start playing.

On the few times we've been delayed there was no sailaway party,  but the big screen still said sailaway party, right on cue. They also had open dining.

They might have the sail away party before the ship sails, right after the safety briefing, in order to accommodate all of the guests with early seating.
This would be my guess too. On our cruise last week the ship sailed about an hour later than scheduled. The sail away activity took place as scheduled and the ship wasn't even sailing even after they ended.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

but, I looooooooove the sail away. 

I have only enjoyed one sail away (NYC) until the Miami cruise I just got off of. It was awesome! We raced a storm out of port (we won) and got to wave at all the traffic on the road next to where we were sailing. It was loads of fun and tons of great Miami beach pics!

11 minutes ago, coevan said:

Calling it dining is a stretch, 15 cruises never ate dinner in the buffet. 

I feel you on this one! First cruise was a 6 day. We did the buffet the first 4 nights and then MDR the last 2. It didn't take long to realize what we missed out on. In 30 something sailing days since we haven't missed the MDR again. Even this last cruise with Mr. no personality for a waiter!

34 minutes ago, phoneman69 said:

I have a May 2020 Magic cruise that's not leaving until 9pm. The ship is repositioning to Miami from Fort Laurdale. Was wondering about diner and Muster drill leaving that late.

On Southern Caribbean cruises leaving at 10:00 PM out of San Juan, the first night's dinner is open seating in both MDRs, due to the weird embarkation time, when not everyone is even on the ship to begin with.  The same will probably be true for the 9:00 PM departure time in your case.  Muster drill will probably be done on the second day; maritime laws dictate that it must take place within 24 hours of the "all aboard" call.

Normal assigned seating goes into effect on the second night in the designated MDR (usually aft).

1 hour ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

On Southern Caribbean cruises leaving at 10:00 PM out of San Juan, the first night's dinner is open seating in both MDRs, due to the weird embarkation time, when not everyone is even on the ship to begin with.  The same will probably be true for the 9:00 PM departure time in your case.  Muster drill will probably be done on the second day; maritime laws dictate that it must take place within 24 hours of the "all aboard" call.

Normal assigned seating goes into effect on the second night in the designated MDR (usually aft).

Thank You    Makes sense.

On our last Journeys cruise in January we had a 6pm departure.  We had early dining and they held the sail away party during our dinner.  Mind you, the average age of this cruise was 68 and there were less than 25 kids onboard, so I’m not sure if the sail away was a priority for them. LOL

On our upcoming Miracle repositioning cruise in March 2020, I guess I’ll find out what they will do for that sail away party too.  We may miss another one!

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

Are you sure you weren't on HAL?

Lol. Yes.  This was the Journeys cruise from Galveston to the Panama Canal, which was 14 days.  Most Journeys cruises have VERY few kids under 18 and the average age is usually around 60ish.  

They have so many Diamonds and Platinums that FTTF isn’t even offered.  I think on this cruise there were over 200 Diamonds and over 500 Platinums!

My normal sailaway time is 6 pm, and we always have early dining. It's been my experience that the sailaway party generally isn't that big a deal on cruises that leave at 6 -- yes, people will be there, but a good percentage of the ship will just be doing their normal night activities.

I thought I'd be upset the first cruise that left at 6. Meh. I got over it quickly. Not a huge loss.