Regal - Shared Balconies

Daniel A

We have booked adjoining staterooms on Regal Princess.  I don't remember if Regal's balcony dividers can be opened turning two balconies into one larger balcony.  Does anyone remember if the dividers open?  Also how does one make arrangements to have it done?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Daniel A

10 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

We have booked adjoining staterooms on Regal Princess.  I don't remember if Regal's balcony dividers can be opened turning two balconies into one larger balcony.  Does anyone remember if the dividers open?  Also how does one make arrangements to have it done?

Thanks in advance.

We have had our cabin steward unlock the door in the balcony divider on the Regal Princess when we had friends in the adjacent cabin.  The door only makes up half of the divider so you will still have a partial blockage between the two balconies.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, nukesubsailor said:

We have had our cabin steward unlock the door in the balcony divider on the Regal Princess when we had friends in the adjacent cabin.  The door only makes up half of the divider so you will still have a partial blockage between the two balconies.

I know that on the older ships, there is a door that is part of a larger divider but on Regal the divider is one piece as the new balconies are so narrow.  But at any rate, I'm glad to hear the steward can open the divider that is there.  Thanks for the response.

Royal-Princess Balcony.jxr

Edited by Daniel A

4 hours ago, nukesubsailor said:

image_242x_.jpgThe door is on the right in this photo.

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

Ask for a 'door stop' to keep the door from opening and shutting in the wind... surrounding cabins will appreciate that...believe me, I know ...:classic_ninja:

I don't think they use a door stop anymore, at least that hasn't ever been the case when we have had our balconies opened between cabins. The steward uses a special tool to open them and then they are similarly bolted down to something in place that permanently holds them open. In order to close them, the steward would have to come back and disconnect it and bolt it shut again. Once we open it, it stays open for the duration of the cruise and we haven't ever had a problem with wind. Maybe in the instance you mention the door hadn't been properly secured. That could get dangerous!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nukesubsailor said:

image_242x_.jpgThe door is on the right in this photo.

That's very interesting.  That is a significantly larger balcony than I've had on previous Regal sailings.  I hope I get one like that!  :classic_smile:

24 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

That's very interesting.  That is a significantly larger balcony than I've had on previous Regal sailings.  I hope I get one like that!  :classic_smile:

You are likely correct.  In my experience we were in a penthouse suite and our friends were in the adjacent balcony cabin.  

6 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Fish eye trickery.

I doubt that. The chair looks as if someone could sit in it facing the ocean and have sufficient space for their feet. Not possible on the typical side balcony on that ship.

9 hours ago, caribill said:

I doubt that. The chair looks as if someone could sit in it facing the ocean and have sufficient space for their feet. Not possible on the typical side balcony on that ship.

You just have to tuck your knees under your chin...

Yes, we have sailed with friends and our room Stewart opened the divider between our two balconies, so we had one longer, narrow balcony.  We appreciated being able to visit with them there.  I asked for the partition to be down when we boarded, but we always had to ask the steward to do it when we arrived in our cabin and they were always quick to do it.  Enjoy!

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, nini said:

Steward, not stewart.

Have you not noticed that in lieu of the formal "room steward" name, that someone on the Princess board - a long time ago (IDK who or when) - affectionately named this person "Stewart" as a generic name of affection for these hard-working folks that help make our voyages pleasant and worry-free?

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Have you not noticed that in lieu of the formal "room steward" name, that someone on the Princess board - a long time ago (IDK who or when) - affectionately named this person "Stewart" as a generic name of affection for these hard-working folks that help make our voyages pleasant and worry-free?

No, I did not. I am not omniscient and/ or did not get the memo. 

Besides, people do not know the correct word on... wait for it...

other boards besides Princess and in real life.

14 hours ago, nini said:

No, I did not. I am not omniscient and/ or did not get the memo. 

Besides, people do not know the correct word on... wait for it...

other boards besides Princess and in real life.

That's actually how the whole thing begain, way back in the day: people joking about posters mistakenly referring to the cabin steward as the "cabin Stuart/Stewart", the muster drill as the "mustard drill", the buffet as the "buffett" (leading to comments about Jimmy Buffett), etc.  You will see these pop up occassionally. Just people having a bit of fun.  It's been going on so long here on the Princess forum that I also don't know who started it or exactly how it began. 🙂

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere
  • Like 2

On 7/3/2019 at 5:14 PM, karatemom2 said:

I don't think they use a door stop anymore, at least that hasn't ever been the case when we have had our balconies opened between cabins. The steward uses a special tool to open them and then they are similarly bolted down to something in place that permanently holds them open. In order to close them, the steward would have to come back and disconnect it and bolt it shut again. Once we open it, it stays open for the duration of the cruise and we haven't ever had a problem with wind. Maybe in the instance you mention the door hadn't been properly secured. That could get dangerous!

We've sailed with friends on the Regal several times and had the steward open the balcony divider. There is no longer a "door stop" but, instead, a sort of extended hook (for lack of a better word) that attaches to the exterior wall on one side and a loop (again, for lack of a better word) on the back of the balcony divider/door. This secures the divider door in place so that it does not move.

As I have stated elsewhere, however, we warned that in some cabins the balcony divider door will partially block the open section of the sliding glass door to the balcony.  This can be really annoying in some instances, but isn't so bad in others. Unfortunately, I've never taken the time to figure out exactly which are which.  What I can tell you is that all balcony divider doors open toward the aft (due to wind when the ship is moving), and if your cabin's sliding door opens on the "forward side" (i.e., the side of our cabin closer to the bow), then the balcony divider may cause some obstruction. Sometimes it's not a big deal, but in other instances - for example when our elderly parents were in the affected cabin - it could prove problematic.  Just want to share in case it helps someone be prepared.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

We've sailed with friends on the Regal several times and had the steward open the balcony divider. There is no longer a "door stop" but, instead, a sort of extended hook (for lack of a better word) that attaches to the exterior wall on one side and a loop (again, for lack of a better word) on the back of the balcony divider/door. This secures the divider door in place so that it does not move.

As I have stated elsewhere, however, we warned that in some cabins the balcony divider door will partially block the open section of the sliding glass door to the balcony.  This can be really annoying in some instances, but isn't so bad in others. Unfortunately, I've never taken the time to figure out exactly which are which.  What I can tell you is that all balcony divider doors open toward the aft (due to wind when the ship is moving), and if your cabin's sliding door opens on the "forward side" (i.e., the side of our cabin closer to the bow), then the balcony divider may cause some obstruction. Sometimes it's not a big deal, but in other instances - for example when our elderly parents were in the affected cabin - it could prove problematic.  Just want to share in case it helps someone be prepared.

Thank you.  This was an outstanding analysis and really answered my concerns and then some which I hadn't considered.

18 hours ago, steelers36 said:

I don't see myself as much of an old fashioned guy but I personally find this "stewart" practice on this site a tad disrespectful and somewhat condescending.  If I were a steward, my inward response would be, "I have a name and a job I work at very hard for long hours.  I am not a poor joke".