Ocean Medallion Coverage In Cruise Travel Magazine;

SargassoPirate

the time savings was having the completed medallion mailed to you, and in hand when boarding , as at least in PE/FLL - our only OM cruise - there was a separate line for us...

no waiting in a line to go thru to see an agent to pick up the OM like you did with the cruise card

I also believe there was a separate line for the people who had completed the OM process, but for whatever reason(s) had to pick it up in port

we didn't really wait in any lines and didn't go sit in any rooms ... again, this was the first cruise after 'wetdock' on the CB, so no passengers to clear or any in transit ... so we had that going for us ... along with our paid upsell to our one and only (so far) suite ... so, all things were aligned for a seamless embarkation

I am very excited to be going on a Medallion cruise.  I think it's great Princess is modernizing and keeping up with other cruise lines that have similar technology. I can't see anything negative about it.  Unless someone is opposed to modern technology and things that make life more streamlined.  I can't wait to try the drink ordering feature, that is very cool.  I hope it actually works!  One does not need to be staring at a device all day and not talking to other people.  That's just plain silly.  

2 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

I am very excited to be going on a Medallion cruise.  I think it's great Princess is modernizing and keeping up with other cruise lines that have similar technology. I can't see anything negative about it.  Unless someone is opposed to modern technology and things that make life more streamlined.  I can't wait to try the drink ordering feature, that is very cool.  I hope it actually works!  One does not need to be staring at a device all day and not talking to other people.  That's just plain silly.  

We've used the medallion on a number of trips & other than disembarkation, 1 or 2 purchases & to open the cabin door have yet to need it for much else. 

On our sailing in January on Caribbean Princess, I couldn’t get the drink ordering to work, which may have been because it was relatively new them. The bartenders looked at my folio number on my card to charge drinks. Door opening was fine, although towards the end of our 14 days, my wife had to touch hers to the screen outside of our door.

someone asked about buying accessories to hold it. They sell various types inboard, but ours was delivered to our home and included a holder attached to a Princess lanyard.

On 7/6/2019 at 3:06 PM, XBGuy said:

<........> 

When my group is called, follow the mass of people.  Give the boarding group placard to a Princess agent, get in line for Passport inspection.

At the door, give Passport to uniformed agent.  He/She looks at the picture, looks at me and wishes me a great cruise.

<............>

Interesting sequence in California.  In Port Everglades (PE), once checked-in don't show passport again when ready to walk the gangplank - er, gangway - onto the ship.  Just the cruise card or Medallion.  As others have mentioned, if you have made an acceptable security photo at home, you just ping in with the Medallion and carry on.

12 hours ago, Cruising TBD said:

I will not participate in the medallion for privacy reasons.

This is about a corporation wishing to increase revenue, period. Customer service benefits is bull.

A poster on these boards recently noted, they observed a staff member, with their tablet, standing beside them. On the screen was this persons information, room, home location, purchasing history and other personal information.

The poster was not pleased. Neither would I be.

Are you able to opt out of using the Medallion?  Because of 

security /privacy issues.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

8 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Are you able to opt out of using the Medallion?  Because of 

security /privacy issues.

I'm not positive but in the past they always said you could choose a cruise card in place of the medallion. I'm not sure if that policy has changed or not.

If forced to use the Medallion, I plan to carry it in an RFID protected pouch, as I do with my credit cards with chips in an RFID protected wallet and my passport in an RFID protected carrier.

Overkill?  Perhaps, but better safe than sorry. Otherwise, one is fodder for hackers and other nefarious characters.

Edited by SargassoPirate

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

If forced to use the Medallion, I plan to carry it in an RFID protected pouch, as I do with my credit cards with chips in an RFID protected wallet and my passport in an RFID protected carrier.

Overkill?  Perhaps, but better safe than sorry. Otherwise, one is fodder for hackers and other nefarious characters.

A small piece of aluminum foil works just as well but can you tell us one thing you're trying to hide from Princess that they already don't know about your profile? 

I have yet to hear of anything from posters that seems to be that important to be concerned about.

Just curious.....or maybe I'm not cautious enough. :classic_unsure:

Oh btw, no information is stored on the medallion. It's kept in their computer system & only accessed by coding from the medallion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

We have been on medallion ships and they are truly awesome and nothing to fear but embrace.  

I get the magazine and the person who wrote the letter in regards to a previous article on  "wearable technology" on cruise ships even though they have not experienced the Medallion program at that time of writing their letter

The write was worried that cruising was becoming less personable and went on to support that belief by noting the recent move to mega ships, Disney type theme parks on ships, shopping malls, casual dining, etc and suggested cruising was not like the "good ole days" where you got to talk to people and crew and did not use technology for your interactions.  

At least that is what the writer seems to be saying when I read the letter?

2 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

We have been on medallion ships and they are truly awesome and nothing to fear but embrace.  

I get the magazine and the person who wrote the letter in regards to a previous article on  "wearable technology" on cruise ships even though they have not experienced the Medallion program at that time of writing their letter

The write was worried that cruising was becoming less personable and went on to support that belief by noting the recent move to mega ships, Disney type theme parks on ships, shopping malls, casual dining, etc and suggested cruising was not like the "good ole days" where you got to talk to people and crew and did not use technology for your interactions.  

At least that is what the writer seems to be saying when I read the letter?

Most of us can remember back when the phone rang & you didn't know who was calling. :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Interesting sequence in California.  In Port Everglades (PE), once checked-in don't show passport again when ready to walk the gangplank - er, gangway - onto the ship.  Just the cruise card or Medallion.  As others have mentioned, if you have made an acceptable security photo at home, you just ping in with the Medallion and carry on.

That is very interesting, Steelers.  Thank you for posting,

It is interesting that the procedures appear to be different between different U.S. ports.  I'm pretty sure that the last passport check at San Pedro is actually done by CBP personnel.  I'll look more closely, next time.

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

That is very interesting, Steelers.  Thank you for posting,

It is interesting that the procedures appear to be different between different U.S. ports.  I'm pretty sure that the last passport check at San Pedro is actually done by CBP personnel.  I'll look more closely, next time.

Never see CBP when boarding in PE.  Unless of course on a B2B.

8 hours ago, MissP22 said:

A small piece of aluminum foil works just as well but can you tell us one thing you're trying to hide from Princess that they already don't know about your profile? 

I have yet to hear of anything from posters that seems to be that important to be concerned about.

Just curious.....or maybe I'm not cautious enough. :classic_unsure:

Oh btw, no information is stored on the medallion. It's kept in their computer system & only accessed by coding from the medallion.

At least for me, its not that I'm trying hide information from Princess, its the much wider distribution of the information, without my informed consent, to random individuals. If anyone crew member on the ship can access my information just because the device they are holding was able to scan my medallion, then I'm concerned. What is the security of the communications between that device and the servers? What are the access policies here? How much information is getting presented? 

27 minutes ago, drowelf said:

At least for me, its not that I'm trying hide information from Princess, its the much wider distribution of the information, without my informed consent, to random individuals. If anyone crew member on the ship can access my information just because the device they are holding was able to scan my medallion, then I'm concerned. What is the security of the communications between that device and the servers? What are the access policies here? How much information is getting presented? 

I'm not really sure just any crew member has full access to all of your information. Your security photo pops up along with your name on their screen & they can apply a charge. This was the same as before without the photo. Beyond that I seriously doubt they've given all the crew members any more than they need. 

Princess accounting of course has access to your SS number, credit card information, address, etc but they've always had that, so what's the difference?

I can't believe they would allow any sensitive info to be shared among all the crew. 

46 minutes ago, drowelf said:

I agree with you.   You are concerned,   because without your informed consent,  way too much of your personal information is stored,  data collection of your personal, and being shared,  and just who has access at Princess?  I  too am paranoid there is too much personal information is out there in Princess.  It’s no one’s business what or how much alcohol you drink,  or track your whereabouts, and what you are doing.  You can never can be too cautious giving out your personal information.   Even to Princess.   Maybe as someone suggested,  bury the Medallion  in a RFID pouch, and only use at a minimum to only open and close your stateroom door.   That’s why I asked if one could opt out of Medallion.

Good luck, and do not give them more personal information than Princess needs.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

3 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

It’s no one’s business what or how much alcohol you drink,  or track your whereabouts, and what you are doing.  

So then, in the past didn't Princess know how much you drank, assuming you charged the drinks to your account?

What difference does it make that they know how many people are in which venue & at what time.

Does it mean a loss of privacy? 

37 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

So then, in the past didn't Princess know how much you drank, assuming you charged the drinks to your account?

What difference does it make that they know how many people are in which venue & at what time.

Does it mean a loss of privacy? 

Well, it’s not anyone’s business what I drink.   Or track my whereabouts on the ship.   They also watch you on CCTV.   At  venues and what time.  With Medallion, Princess can pull the data and identify who are the individuals in the venue.   That’s intrusive.   I also do not drink the alcohol or soda that Princess offers.  I bring my own wine.   Bring my own soda and bottled water.   I do not buy chotskies in the shops.   Use Cruise Card just to open  my stateroom door,  to go off and on the ship, and final debark.  That’s it.   Medallion will collect much more personal data then needed.   That is MO.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Well, it’s not anyone’s business what I drink.   Or track my whereabouts on the ship.   They also watch you on CCTV.   At  venues and what time.  With Medallion, Princess can pull the data and identify who are the individuals in the venue.   That’s intrusive.   I also do not drink the alcohol or soda that Princess offers.  I bring my own wine.   Bring my own soda and bottled water.   I do not buy chotskies in the shops.   Use Cruise Card just to open  my stateroom door,  to go off and on the ship, and final debark.  That’s it.   Medallion will collect much more personal data then needed.   That is MO.

All the things you mentioned are the same for us except I do purchase things form time to time if I really like something at a great price. 

All the data you mentioned can be collected with either the cruise card or medallion- except that they can track groups of passengers better with medallions , so what's to worry about? 

Not sure why people get paranoid with the medallion program.  Disney does same thing at their parks.  Hotels have all your info too; .  Cruise lines; more specifically Princess did not pioneer the spying game.  Most of this can be tracked back to Sep 11, 2001.  This changed the game for who gets tracked and it will be that way from now on.  Have a great day and have fun out there on the ships. 

22 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'm not really sure just any crew member has full access to all of your information. Your security photo pops up along with your name on their screen & they can apply a charge. This was the same as before without the photo. Beyond that I seriously doubt they've given all the crew members any more than they need. 

Princess accounting of course has access to your SS number, credit card information, address, etc but they've always had that, so what's the difference?

I can't believe they would allow any sensitive info to be shared among all the crew. 

On 7/9/2019 at 9:23 AM, Cruising TBD said:

This is about a corporation wishing to increase revenue, period. Customer service benefits is bull.

A poster on these boards recently noted, they observed a staff member, with their tablet, standing beside them. On the screen was this persons information, room, home location, purchasing history and other personal information.

My concern was heighten by this post. One of the keys here is that we don't know who has or how much information is available to crew members on the ship. I for one don't really care to be tracked all over the ship. I consider this level of data collection to be a bit intrusive. Why would anyone other than the accounting/front office staff need my purchase history. I don't believe that anyone on the ship needs to know the address I gave Princess as my home. 

Whats the Data Retention policy on this information? Does all the ancillary information, except my Purchase History, get archived or deleted at the end of my cruise? 

Edited by drowelf

On 7/9/2019 at 6:23 AM, Cruising TBD said:

Our cabin steward said basically the same thing, just a money maker... princess is trying to appeal to the tech crowd  but  they would not invest in this unless they  benefit on the bottom line.    We don't even use cell phones at home, on a go phone for emergencies, so we will cruise the old fashion way and enjoy it.

Edited by pris993
editing problem

On 7/10/2019 at 5:12 PM, MissP22 said:

Princess had our Social Security numbers? Really?  What for?  I don't recall ever providing them with my Social Security number.