Balcony Cabin - Sail Away

thesmiths

Do you stay on your balcony or go to the main pool area?

If it is just us 2, we stay on our balcony.

If first timers are with us, we'll take them to the party.

Leaving from New York in Sept, Aft Wrap, I know where I'll be.

8 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

While aft wraps are GREAT, we always go upstairs for sail always.  In New York, you have the best sail always in the entire country (IMHO).  Go up to aft sections for the fantastic views and photo ops, then enjoy your aft wrap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I know where I'd be too. The sailaway from NYC is wonderful, experienced from the deck. One of my favorite things about a NYC sailaway.

Simply the best....

I've always enjoyed our NYC sail aways from the upper decks, since there is so much to see on both sides of the Hudson.  It's my fav port for viewing skylines and scenery.

For anyone wishing to take photos of Lady Liberty, if you want her face in your pic, wait until you sail past the Statue.  Folks start snapping as soon as she's in sight and they get great shots of the back of her head.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, evandbob said:

I've always enjoyed our NYC sail aways from the upper decks, since there is so much to see on both sides of the Hudson.  It's my fav port for viewing skylines and scenery.

For anyone wishing to take photos of Lady Liberty, if you want her face in your pic, wait until you sail past the Statue.  Folks start snapping as soon as she's in sight and they get great shots of the back of her head.

All true, and depending on time of year you can get tremendous shots of th city as you approach the VNB.  Almost as appealing is a sail into the port (for early risers), we have gotten great shots of the city (and Lady Liberty) with the sun rising from the east. As I said, best sailaway port in the US.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thesmiths said:

It wasn’t one of your choices, but we normally go to the Alchemy Bar right after the safety briefing. We have done 29 cruises on Carnival and we have never been to a Lido deck sail away party even once. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

While aft wraps are GREAT, we always go upstairs for sail always.  In New York, you have the best sail always in the entire country (IMHO).  Go up to aft sections for the fantastic views and photo ops, then enjoy your aft wrap.

Great advice!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Thank you.

In your opinion, What Would I gain going up 2 or 3 decks?

I would have a front row view from my balcony.

I'm starboard side which mean I will be on the Statue of Liberty Side sailing down the river.

30 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

Thank you.

In your opinion, What Would I gain going up 2 or 3 decks?

I would have a front row view from my balcony.

I'm starboard side which mean I will be on the Statue of Liberty Side sailing down the river.

What you gain is the view of both sides, the views change also as you proceed down the river.  Being on a top deck allows you to see almost a 360 degree view so you can then focus in and what you want to see.  In reference to your point, if the SOL is the only thin, then your cabin would be fine.  However the views of the city, esp eastern views would be restricted.  As you approach the VNB being on a top deck gives excellent perspective as you approach.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

What you gain is the view of both sides, the views change also as you proceed down the river.  Being on a top deck allows you to see almost a 360 degree view so you can then focus in and what you want to see.  In reference to your point, if the SOL is the only thin, then your cabin would be fine.  However the views of the city, esp eastern views would be restricted.  As you approach the VNB being on a top deck gives excellent perspective as you approach.  

Thanks, makes perfect sense.

12 or 11 aft?

When sailing out of New York I like to be on the highest possible deck so I can get the best view of both sides of the river.
There is something so special about sailing out of NY (maybe it's because I've lived across the river my entire life and I LOVE the city).

If you are awake as the ship sails back into port, the view coming back under the bridge and lower Manhattan with the Freedom Tower are spectacular with the sun rising behind them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrsGrohl said:

When sailing out of New York I like to be on the highest possible deck so I can get the best view of both sides of the river.
There is something so special about sailing out of NY (maybe it's because I've lived across the river my entire life and I LOVE the city).

If you are awake as the ship sails back into port, the view coming back under the bridge and lower Manhattan with the Freedom Tower are spectacular with the sun rising behind them.

Absolutely agree....

• Like 1

It depends on the port and whether the scenery is any good from my balcony.  I've never once gone to the Lido deck for sail away, as I'd prefer to watch the scenery while leaving rather than the loud music and the dancing.  If I'm not on my balcony, I will be on one of the "secret decks" at the front of the ship.

1 hour ago, MrsGrohl said:

I'll make it a point. Up by 5 AM?

Sunrise is 06:34 that day.

It will be the day after 9/11.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 8:40 AM, jimbo5544 said:

I have no first hand experience with this, but I'd speculate sail aways from San Francisco would be pretty great too.

21 hours ago, thesmiths said:

I'll make it a point. Up by 5 AM?

Sunrise is 06:34 that day.

It will be the day after 9/11.

I think 5 am should be good.

I'm on the sailing right before you. :)

3 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I have no first hand experience with this, but I'd speculate sail aways from San Francisco would be pretty great too.

I would wager you are correct.  Wish thre were a lot of sailings out of SF

we generally hit an open air bar, not picky on which deck or part of ship. 

oddly, I like to have a Miami Vice in hand when the ship pulls away from pier.  I absolutely LOVE leaving from Miami to see 1) seaplanes taking off and landing and 2) watching the skyline get smaller and smaller was we get further away from port. 

we also like Port Everglades...I would retire in one of those high rises bordering port without hesitation.  I've have a fully lit balcony and an air horn (which I'd use sparingly!). 

5 hours ago, thesmiths said:

Enjoy! Going on the Eastern as well?

We are looking forward to it no matter what has been said.

Yes, we are going on the Eastern. I'm looking forward to it as well. I don't pay much attention to the negative comments, I'll be on vacation and I'll be happy (I just hope we have good weather).

11 hours ago, MrsGrohl said:

Yes, we are going on the Eastern. I'm looking forward to it as well. I don't pay much attention to the negative comments, I'll be on vacation and I'll be happy (I just hope we have good weather).

It will be a good cruise.

Have not sailed from NYC yet, looking forward to it.

Booking a cruise at that time of year you are faced with a diversion or possible cancellation.

More cruises sail then are cancelled though.

We have the option of going North though... Canada is lovely that time of year!

But I would rather be heading south.

• Like 1