Carnival Ships for Sale Question

4 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

At least other cruise lines try to cover up the rust. The Carnival ship I was docked next to in Nassau very recently looked pathetic. It's only a matter of time before Carnival gets rid of these clunkers.

Was it scheduled for a referb? The hull usually gets touched up a lot, tenders hitting it, tugs hitting it. Paint comes off and rust starts within 24 hours. Eventually a total strip off and repaint. Then it starts all over again. There is no ship that I ever saw that did not have rust other than a new one. I just sailed on the Celebrity Equinox. Hull was just repainted from white to blue. Guess what. Lots of rust on the hull. Lots of blue coming off. Rust coming from the rivets under the paint. It is a constant battle. I was in the NAVY and our ships are constantly having the paint chipped off and repainted. When it is finished, we start all over again.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not so sure about that....was just looking for the review....thought it was by Darthforsty...but not sure

I know the review you're talking about. I remember one of the pictures she posted as it brought back some memories from visiting the Catskills. It was definitely Darth something. Maybe @DarthGrady? Does that seem familiar?

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

At least other cruise lines try to cover up the rust. The Carnival ship I was docked next to in Nassau very recently looked pathetic. It's only a matter of time before Carnival gets rid of these clunkers and puts them up for sale.

Funny you say that, just say a post on FB where someone (a frequent Royal cruiser) just said the exact opposite and was panning a couple of Royal ships including FOTS...Different eyes see different things...

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Funny you say that, just say a post on FB where someone (a frequent Royal cruiser) just said the exact opposite and was panning a couple of Royal ships including FOTS...Different eyes see different things...

I was next to the Freedom of the Seas in Antigua also in November- ship looked spotless. Regal Princess had more rust.

42789674_1713582635413672_6448924271463890944_n.jpg

Edited by xDisconnections

2 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

I was next to the Freedom of the Seas in Antigua also in November- ship looked spotless. Regal Princess had more rust.

42789674_1713582635413672_6448924271463890944_n.jpg

I actually thought of you when I read it...might have been another Royal ship....was in Cozumel I believe... who knows

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Was it scheduled for a referb? The hull usually gets touched up a lot, tenders hitting it, tugs hitting it. Paint comes off and rust starts within 24 hours. Eventually a total strip off and repaint. Then it starts all over again. There is no ship that I ever saw that did not have rust other than a new one. I just sailed on the Celebrity Equinox. Hull was just repainted from white to blue. Guess what. Lots of rust on the hull. Lots of blue coming off. Rust coming from the rivets under the paint. It is a constant battle. I was in the NAVY and our ships are constantly having the paint chipped off and repainted. When it is finished, we start all over again.

FYI  Water - humid or submersed items rust faster. 2. Salt - Salty water or road salt makes things rust faster than non-salty water. 3. Surface texture - rougher things rust faster than smooth things. 4. Temperature - Hot things rust faster than cold things. It is a never ending battle for any boat or ship.

40 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

I know the review you're talking about. I remember one of the pictures she posted as it brought back some memories from visiting the Catskills. It was definitely Darth something. Maybe @DarthGrady? Does that seem familiar?

I posted a review of the Grand Celebration over on the Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line board, and yes, the old Celebration does look very good for her age in my opinion. Her new fleet sister the Grand Classica, formerly with Costa, looks even nicer. Although I do think Celebration's cabins are nicer. As far as the Fantasy Class ships go, I know I'm in the minority here, but I love the older/smaller ships and hope they stick around a good long while.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, DarthGrady said:

I posted a review of the Grand Celebration over on the Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line board, and yes, the old Celebration does look very good for her age in my opinion. Her new fleet sister the Grand Classica, formerly with Costa, looks even nicer. Although I do think Celebration's cabins are nicer. As far as the Fantasy Class ships go, I know I'm in the minority here, but I love the older/smaller ships and hope they stick around a good long while.

Thanks for clearing up some confusion! It was your Celebration review that I was thinking of- I did enjoy reading it back when you posted it.

Just now, DarthGrady said:

Agree totally. We like the free pizza and the buffet on the Grand Celebration. Always enjoy it. Sailing on the 25th One hour door to cabin. Both ships are nicely kept. The Grand Classica is more of an elegant looking ship.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Thanks for clearing up some confusion! It was your Celebration review that I was thinking of- I did enjoy reading it back when you posted it.

As did I, eye opening on the interiors.

9 hours ago, wo5m said:

I guess that would be an exception, but I guess the point is carnival is probably making more from the charter than a normal cruise. That brings me to the 16'th rule of Acquisition:  A deal is a deal ... until a better one comes along.

My husband is currently binge watching DS9 for the first time.

• Like 1

I'm curious, specifically which ships of the fantasy class are listed for sale?  I've figured for years that Carnival must be considering selling those ships, as they are are at the general 25-30 year old age range which is considered the end of the usefull age of ocean-going ships.

I do find it odd though if they are selling the ships...I seem to recall Carnival very recently spending millions on upgrading the Fantasy and a couple of the other old ships.

25 minutes ago, midwestman said:

I'm curious, specifically which ships of the fantasy class are listed for sale?  I've figured for years that Carnival must be considering selling those ships, as they are are at the general 25-30 year old age range which is considered the end of the usefull age of ocean-going ships.

I do find it odd though if they are selling the ships...I seem to recall Carnival very recently spending millions on upgrading the Fantasy and a couple of the other old ships.

They have invested quite a bit into them recently, renovating all the cabins and adding the new bars, water parks and dining venues.

I don't know which ones are for sale, but the oldest few are the Fantasy, Ecstasy, Sensation and Fascination.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival keeps them until they're offered a price they can't pass up, like anything else really. The Fantasy Class ships are money makers for the company. They're all long since paid-off, and they rarely break down unlike their Fincantieri built fleet mates. 

On 7/10/2019 at 12:28 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Is she still sailing?  I saw a review on here from someone sailed her (one of the really good things on CC) and I was blown away by how nice she was in the inside.

Holiday is still sailing and is pretty nice. Even has some single cabins.

As for other ships for sale, everything is for sale at the right price.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Holiday is still sailing and is pretty nice. Even has some single cabins.

As for other ships for sale, everything is for sale at the right price.

I just checked for booking and it is not listed at all. I did see where Carnival retired the HOLIDAY in November of 2009

7 hours ago, DarthGrady said:

They have invested quite a bit into them recently, renovating all the cabins and adding the new bars, water parks and dining venues.

I don't know which ones are for sale, but the oldest few are the Fantasy, Ecstasy, Sensation and Fascination.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival keeps them until they're offered a price they can't pass up, like anything else really. The Fantasy Class ships are money makers for the company. They're all long since paid-off, and they rarely break down unlike their Fincantieri built fleet mates. 

We were on the Spirit (first tome in 2002 I think ans at that time the only ship they had a note on at all (of new ahips) was rhe  Triumph.  All othwrs were cash (or quick payoff).   

Name:
  • 1985–2009: Holiday
  • 2010–2014: Grand Holiday [1]
  • 2015 onwards: Magellan
Owner:
Operator:
Port of registry:
Builder: Aalborg Værft, Ålborg, Denmark
Launched: 10 December 1983
Completed: 21 June 1985
Maiden voyage:
  • 13 July 1985 (as Holiday)
  • 18 May 2010 (as Grand Holiday)
  • 11 March 2015 (as Magellan)
Identification:

• 1 month later...

The old Holiday has bookings through 2021: 

https://us.cruiseandmaritime.com/ship/magellan/calendar

In terms of the Fantasy-class ships, the Fantasy itself will turn 30 next year. Not sure how much longer Carnival will hold on to it and its sisters. Removing these ships will force them to no longer do cruises out of Mobile and Jacksonville.

And when they do, perhaps someone else will move in.  I was just on MSC Armonia, their oldest ship.  Really, really nice.  At our meet & greet, one of the officers said the plan to have 12 ships in North America in a few years.  I suggested that their Lirica class would fit nicely into ports such as JAX, Mobile, Baltimore...  they plan to move Armonia to Tampa the end of next year.  EM

• 2 weeks later...