Any educated guesses why there aren't any non-stop flights between Seattle & FLL?

57redbird

Lack of demand, at least not enough demand to justify the non-stop.

Think I just heard Alaska will be adding a couple non-stops to Florida locations (as I recall Orlando was one, but not Miami or FLL) from Seattle. Note there aren't that many from SFO either...I think only United and Jet Blue have one apiece to FLL. I believe only American has a SFO-MIA non-stop...just flew it a couple weeks ago.

Don't think the "Max problem" is a direct cause, although getting more 737 Maxes in service might allow for expansion into that route.

7 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

American Airlines and Alaska Airlines both fly direct to South Florida.

American flies direct to Miami and Alaskan flies direct to Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks - I'll look at Alaska again & will keep checking.

2 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Looking at a HAL cruise in December, 2019 ---- can't seem to find any nonstop flights from Seattle & back...wondering if maybe it's the MAX plane problem....any ideas?

I just took your word for that there weren't any. But I clearly see Alaska flying SEA-FLL.  Pretty expensive...$1600pp for two random dates this December. 

30 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I just took your word for that there weren't any. But I clearly see Alaska flying SEA-FLL.  Pretty expensive...$1600pp for two random dates this December. 

Again thanks --- that's a change from Monday ---- there might be hope!

On 7/10/2019 at 6:43 PM, 57redbird said:

Looking at a HAL cruise in December, 2019 ---- can't seem to find any nonstop flights from Seattle & back...wondering if maybe it's the MAX plane problem....any ideas?

Was always told that "All flights have to go thru Atlanta."

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Essentially only true if you are flying Delta. There are other airlines out there.

We are flying non-stop Sea to FLL on Alaska. We have flown them non-stop to Boston and Miami. I think JetBlue has NS runs too. Hopefully you haven’t purchased and can fly nonstop. 

On 7/10/2019 at 7:04 PM, BlueHerons said:

American Airlines and Alaska Airlines both fly direct to South Florida.

American flies direct to Miami and Alaskan flies direct to Fort Lauderdale.

Direct or non-stop?  Two different things.

There may not be enough continuous traffic to justify a nonstop flight.  Or, it's possible that service is only seasonal.  Not every airport has nonstop flights to cruise ports.  

On 7/14/2019 at 2:45 PM, slidergirl said:

Direct or non-stop?  Two different things.

There may not be enough continuous traffic to justify a nonstop flight.  Or, it's possible that service is only seasonal.  Not every airport has nonstop flights to cruise ports.  

Let's try this again.

Both Alaska Airlines and American Airlines fly direct, non-stop  from Seattle to South Florida.  Alaska to Fort Lauderdale and American to Miami.  Miami is a hub for American.

4 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

Let's try this again.

Both Alaska Airlines and American Airlines fly direct, non-stop  from Seattle to South Florida.  Alaska to Fort Lauderdale and American to Miami.  Miami is a hub for American.

Yea, Alaska has been flying to South Florida non-stop from Seattle for a while now. First to MIA and for the last few years from FLL. Not sure what OP was looking at. 

American has had non-stop MIA-SEA flight for a few years now too. 

So to OP, there are two choices and have been for years. Alaska from SEA to FLL or American from SEA to MIA. Non-stop. 

Thank you all --- I was looking for non-stops & apparently when I first looked, I overlooked the Alaska flights....we had flown them in the past -- my only gripe was the return flight to Sea was late afternoon ---- even though we had done a post-cruise excursion we were still sitting around the FLL airport for hours (even before the ticket agents were at their posts).

We haven't booked the cruise yet so, needless to say, we haven't booked our air.

I've been taking the direct Alaska flights to FLL from SEA for years now. Flying home there's basically two options, before the ship arrives back to port, or early evening... I've rented a car and gone to the beach to relax until our evening flight, but decided last time to just stay an extra night and fly out the next morning and thought that was a much more pleasant experience. 

We are going again this October and I got a little more creative this time because we didn't have an extra day to spend in FLL. I found one-way millage tickets on Alaska returning from MIA to SEA for only 12,500 points, because they partnered with American Airlines we're leaving MIA at noon instead of hanging around all day. Very excited! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptnG said:

I've been taking the direct Alaska flights to FLL from SEA for years now. Flying home there's basically two options, before the ship arrives back to port, or early evening... I've rented a car and gone to the beach to relax until our evening flight, but decided last time to just stay an extra night and fly out the next morning and thought that was a much more pleasant experience. 

We are going again this October and I got a little more creative this time because we didn't have an extra day to spend in FLL. I found one-way millage tickets on Alaska returning from MIA to SEA for only 12,500 points, because they partnered with American Airlines we're leaving MIA at noon instead of hanging around all day. Very excited! 

After our last Caribbean cruise we did spend the day & night in FLL & flew out the next morning - you're right -- much more pleasant that way.