Drink package out of Galveston

When sailing out of Galveston on a Carnival cruise, the drink package would not go into effect until the 2nd day (first full day on ship). We could buy individual drinks, just that drink package wasn't in effect. Does anyone who has sailed out of Galveston know if RCCL has that same rule...drink package starting on 2nd day? 

No, RC honors the drink package out of Galveston from the moment you get on the ship.  However, they types of alcohol are limited to those purchased with a Texas stamp, so you will have a smaller selection until you are out of Texas waters.

Royal starts theirs normally upon boarding but only serve with Texas tagged bottles that have paid the TABC duty.  That limits certain choices as Texas has not approved all beer/wine/liquor.  

For example, a vodka & tonic is available but it might not be the type of vodka you prefer if your vodka isn't approved in Texas. 

Once outside of territorial waters a few hours after sail away the Texas tagged bottles go away and the full bar is opened up.

Another example... Amstel Light beer is on the Diamond Happy Hour menu but not available during the day one happy hour until the ship is in international water.  Amstel Light isn't approved by TABC, the state control board.

Edited by twangster

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Once outside of territorial waters a few hours after sail away the Texas tagged bottles go away and the full bar is opened up.

That's annoying. One of my favorite Texas beers - Shiner Bock - is only available on day #1.

Great....Thank you for your quick replies! 

9 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

That's annoying. One of my favorite Texas beers - Shiner Bock - is only available on day #1.

Shiner Bock is a favorite of my family also. I'll warn them to  to savor those first few hours of the cruise. :)

9 hours ago, rede2go6464 said:

Great....Thank you for your quick replies! 

Shiner Bock is a favorite of my family also. I'll warn them to  to savor those first few hours of the cruise. 🙂

Yes they can even run out early if enough gets drank

10 hours ago, twangster said:

Royal starts theirs normally upon boarding but only serve with Texas tagged bottles that have paid the TABC duty.  That limits certain choices as Texas has not approved all beer/wine/liquor.  

For example, a vodka & tonic is available but it might not be the type of vodka you prefer if your vodka isn't approved in Texas. 

Another example... Amstel Light beer is on the Diamond Happy Hour menu but not available during the day one happy hour until the ship is in international water.  Amstel Light isn't approved by TABC, the state control board.

Your comments about TABC approved is misleading.  Royal doesn't purchase certain brands with the TABC tax stamp based on a business decision (I don't fault Royal for making this decision).  Amstel Lite is available throughout the state.

5 hours ago, cruisegus said:

Yes they can even run out early if enough gets drank

Happened to us once on Voyager out of Galveston.  Departure was delayed and they ran out of Texas stamped beer around 8pm or so.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 9:59 AM, twangster said:

It has nothing to do with being "approved" but rather what has had the additional Texas booze tax paid on it.  Texas will approve any type of booze that you want to pay tax on!

Royal buys only certain items with Texas booze tax paid on it, and items without the tax stamp can't be served until they are out of the Texas tax zone.  

Again, has NOTHING to do with being "Texas approved" and EVERYTHING to do with whether the Texas government got their tax money.

Issue surrounds what Royal buys (approves on their list ) in Texas vs from elsewhere in world . 

Blame Royal not Texas . Texas doesn't restrict what liquor Royal buys . 

Easy fix . Royal just expand buying list of Brands to reduce the bitching . 

Edited by ssb

17 minutes ago, ssb said:

Issue surrounds what Royal buys (approves on their list ) in Texas vs from elsewhere in world . 

Blame Royal not Texas . Texas doesn't restrict what liquor Royal buys . 

Easy fix . Royal just expand buying list of Brands to reduce the bitching . 

Your "easy fix" would result in an increase in the price of the drink package for all cruises out of Galveston.  

Easier to just limit the first day's choices, and keep the overall prices where they are.  

19 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Your "easy fix" would result in an increase in the price of the drink package for all cruises out of Galveston.  

Easier to just limit the first day's choices, and keep the overall prices where they are.  

And it isn’t even the entire first day, just until around dinner time. 

16 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

And it isn’t even the entire first day, just until around dinner time. 

So why do a lot of folks complain . 

I’m in agreement with y’all ! 

Edited by ssb

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Beats me, I guess I’m just an easy drunk 😵 

Happy cruising ! 
I got my toes in the water, ass in the sand
Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand
Life is good today, life is good today
Edited by ssb

I only asked because I am trying to budget for a drink package and wasn't sure if we paid for the first day or not since it was out of Galveston. We are paying for the drink package for 6 adults, so that extra day adds up. However, I love that we can start the party as soon as we step on the ship and don't have to watch our first day spending. To me, all beer tastes the same, and not in a good way. Bring on the Bloody Mary's, and I don't care what kind of vodka ya put in it!

Thanks for everyones help and input!

• Like 1