Techno music

MISTER 67

8 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

Neither. I'm saying that it's likely nowhere near as "horrible" or "ear-splitting" as claimed. As a lover of a wide variety of music genres I'm more than familiar with folks that have zero tolerance for anything even vaguely different from or slightly louder than what they're used to. Intolerance and exaggeration are their specialties. 

(for the record, I'm 61 - my preference is "alternative/Indie" music but I do enjoy EDM as well)

I'm not one to typically disagree here on the boards, but we have definitely experienced music that was "ear-splitting" on recent Celebrity cruises.  Not everywhere,and not all the time, but definitely volume that would count as "ear-splitting."   What's funny is that my daughter (32) thinks I listen to my music in my car too loud and it's nowhere near the level we've experienced on Celebrity recently.

When the volume is so loud in the theater that you truly can't understand the words the singers are singing, it is way too loud and completely destroys any enjoyment that could be derived from the show.  

Same volume level around the pool most of the time on Edge, too.  We'll see what it's like in a few weeks.  By the way, it's not the type of music I object to, it's the volume level that bothers me at times.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

When the volume is so loud in the theater that you truly can't understand the words the singers are singing, it is way too loud and completely destroys any enjoyment that could be derived from the show.  

I haven't experienced that on a ship, but I've experienced it at live music venues. For live music, that's generally a band that doesn't trust its sound guy and keeps turning up the monitor, distorting their music. But in a theater, that's just plain incompetence. They're totally blowing their mix if they've overwhelmed the vocals. That's hard to blame on corporate, unless that's how they're training the folks on the soundboard.

This is an interesting topic, because we sold our daughter on the Apex because of the music we had on the Edge. If the Apex plays classical music and 50s and 60s I am not sure it is enough to cancel, for my wife and I, but not sure my twenty something daughter would approve. If they went with big band/jazz from the 1920s my daughter and I would absolutely love it, my wife not so much;) One reason we would stick is we got one of the front facing ocean view rooms and we are up to 3 perks now from the last sale, where the 3rd perk was truly free.

When we were on the Edge a big part of the draw for us was all the live music that fit our tastes, and yes we noticed it didn't fit the tastes of many on our cruise. Our hope was the E class would eventually draw more that enjoy that music and entertainment and the Apex would be a clone with different shows. Time will tell.

15 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

Doesn't belong in Blu (or any other dining venue) but I'd love to hear that in the Martini Bar or Sunset Bar.

Good solution...and add in a mellow music  spot where  some of us can enjoy jazz, good acoustic guitar , etc

X need not be one size fits all with music but the  pre mixed loop is played all.over

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

Doesn't belong in Blu (or any other dining venue) but I'd love to hear that in the Martini Bar or Sunset Bar.

It’s all about the volume.  The last two cruises on Celebrity I was literally driven out of the Martini Bar, one of my favourite venues, by music thumping so loud that I couldn’t easily hold a conversation with my friends.  And there weren’t even a lot of people there to add to the atmosphere (a bit like the video of the pool deck I posted earlier in the thread).  Added to that the DJ that sat there.  A couple of times the music was actually pretty enjoyable, but the rest of the time it was just too loud and bassy for where it had been set up.

Phil

18 minutes ago, cgolf2 said:

This is an interesting topic, because we sold our daughter on the Apex because of the music we had on the Edge. If the Apex plays classical music and 50s and 60s I am not sure it is enough to cancel, for my wife and I, but not sure my twenty something daughter would approve. If they went with big band/jazz from the 1920s my daughter and I would absolutely love it, my wife not so much;) One reason we would stick is we got one of the front facing ocean view rooms and we are up to 3 perks now from the last sale, where the 3rd perk was truly free.

When we were on the Edge a big part of the draw for us was all the live music that fit our tastes, and yes we noticed it didn't fit the tastes of many on our cruise. Our hope was the E class would eventually draw more that enjoy that music and entertainment and the Apex would be a clone with different shows. Time will tell.

In January, we had very good  music on EDGE....  live  music, good variety , lots of choices in diff venues  like EDEN, Rooftop, Grand Plaza day and night.

Unfortunately, the noisy din at the Martini Bar actually drowned out any music played there in the evening .....heard it was much nicer there during the day.

Theater volume was perfect and matched the show style of the evening.

The DJs...excellent again!.  Had a great variety  and  everyone seemed  quite happy. 

Nice live music in the Club...at times.

X had a great Celebrity mini  band/ orchestra for shows and in the Club!

Something has apparently  changed on EDGE since then...hope it changes back by our Nov cruise....  9 nights of the endless loop will drive most  anyone  nutsy!  Must pack headphones...and our own playlist just in case!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

It's all about the volume

Exactly this. It may not happen fleet wide, but our last 3 cruises  had music that was consistently WAAAAAAAY too loud for comfort in most of the venues. How loud is too loud? Varies by personal tolerance I suppose, but to give you an example: my DH wears hearing aids which have a feature where they will shut off when a certain decibel level is reached. That happened almost daily, and especially in the theatre at night. It was so bad that I kept a pair of foam earplugs in my evening bag to deaden some of the noise. We were told the levels were set by Miami. Miami needs to do some serious rethinking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mom says said:

Exactly this. It may not happen fleet wide, but our last 3 cruises  had music that was consistently WAAAAAAAY too loud for comfort in most of the venues. How loud is too loud? Varies by personal tolerance I suppose, but to give you an example: my DH wears hearing aids which have a feature where they will shut off when a certain decibel level is reached. That happened almost daily, and especially in the theatre at night. It was so bad that I kept a pair of foam earplugs in my evening bag to deaden some of the noise. We were told the levels were set by Miami. Miami needs to do some serious rethinking.

"Set by Miami" is a convenient excuse... for staff on-board.

bon voyage

At certain times of the day if I can hear it its too loud. Its all about appropriate music at the appropriate time in the appropriate place at the appropriate volume. 

I love cruising and for me having breakfast or lunch in peace and enjoying being outdoors with the sea is what its about. As I said earlier some modern drum and bass music comes over the speakers like a kid banging a tin can because the speakers in certain areas cant handle it.

I use to run a disco at university and I love all sorts of music, my current favourite band as it happens is Avenged Sevenfold but I’m not going to get that on board, but I’m happy with most rock, disco, Abba, whatever.   

I like to enjoy a coffee in Al Bacio listening to chill out relaxing music in the morning.  My personal and it is entirely personal opinion is that loud lively disco or dance music should be reserved for when people are likely to be dancing and only be in those venues not all over the ship. Also, my belief was that EDM was a very broad church and Techno and House etc were forms of EDM.

2 hours ago, JBare said:

I said earlier some modern drum and bass music comes over the speakers like a kid banging a tin can because the speakers in certain areas cant handle it.

I too object to making perfectly good drum and bass sound like that wretched steel drum racket. 😁

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, JBare said:

At certain times of the day if I can hear it its too loud. Its all about appropriate music at the appropriate time in the appropriate place at the appropriate volume. 

I love cruising and for me having breakfast or lunch in peace and enjoying being outdoors with the sea is what its about. As I said earlier some modern drum and bass music comes over the speakers like a kid banging a tin can because the speakers in certain areas cant handle it.

I use to run a disco at university and I love all sorts of music, my current favourite band as it happens is Avenged Sevenfold but I’m not going to get that on board, but I’m happy with most rock, disco, Abba, whatever.   

I like to enjoy a coffee in Al Bacio listening to chill out relaxing music in the morning.  My personal and it is entirely personal opinion is that loud lively disco or dance music should be reserved for when people are likely to be dancing and only be in those venues not all over the ship. Also, my belief was that EDM was a very broad church and Techno and House etc were forms of EDM.

I'm pretty certain the term EDM which isn't really used over here appeared after the word techno became popular. But technically yes, house, trance, dance, electro and techno could all be seen as different forms of EDM.

On a personal note I think a lot of trance and Balearic dance would be fitting for the martini bar and pool area, especially some of the chillout mixes. There's been multiple times when I've been onboard where I've wished they'd play something like that. 

As for breaking speakers, remember this? Another tune I guarantee has never been played on an X ship! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1