Techno music

MISTER 67

17 hours ago, markeb said:

I've never heard anything I'd call techno on a cruise either. I do think they have a tendency to turn the volume too high for the venue (i.e., I'd like to have a conversation over a martini), but that's my primary gripe. Most likely they've got commercial EDM mixes of popular music (the uptempo version of Muzak).

Of course I'm laughing at this entire thread because this rapidly becomes a cliched "you kids keep off my lawn" conversation. And sometimes we evolve. I HATED "Smells Like Team Spirit" in the '90s as a thirty-something. Now Nevermind is one of my all time favorite albums (albums being a word that ages me!). I'm pushing 57 and there's no way I could handle seven days of Sinatra and the Brat Pack! And I actually like some Sinatra!

At the risk of sounding partially deaf I've never heard music I deemed too loud onboard. I've read about it on here but never experienced it. Aged 44 I've also always thought that the music being played was aimed at my parents generation. 

I bought Nevermind in 1991 when it was released and loved it. I still listen to it this day occasionally. On topic on our last X cruise there was a lady playing an acoustic guitar in the ensemble range covering rock classics, quite badly to be fair including Nirvana. I like live music a lot, but sometimes with the quality of performers Celebrity hire I'd prefer a DJ playing the real thing rather than listening to some of your all time favourite songs massacred right before your eyes! 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

On Edge we had an expensive dinner in the Fine Cut Steakhouse which is open to the Martini Bar area below.  We were given a table on the rail.  We asked to be moved further inside because we could not carry on a simple conversation over the loud music from below.

Not good - how was the volume once you moved?  I don't mind the music at the bar but I do not want to have to hear it at the table while trying to enjoy a nice meal.  It's a steakhouse, not a club.  :classic_blink:

I was on the 6/15 Equinox sailing.  I also do not recall any Techno being played at ear-splitting volumes anywhere on the ship.  While I did not 100% care for the mix of music being played in the OVC, poolside and elsewhere, it was not as described by many on this forum...As I mentioned on facebook, I am just glad we missed the Journey cover band  that played a couple of cruises later...that would have been really offensive! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Are you saying that techno music in the Grand Foyer is a lie, or that their disapproval of it is nonsense?

Neither. I'm saying that it's likely nowhere near as "horrible" or "ear-splitting" as claimed. As a lover of a wide variety of music genres I'm more than familiar with folks that have zero tolerance for anything even vaguely different from or slightly louder than what they're used to. Intolerance and exaggeration are their specialties. 

(for the record, I'm 61 - my preference is "alternative/Indie" music but I do enjoy EDM as well)

Edited by wpgcycler
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, mom says said:

I don't care what they call it. I don't really care what they're  playing. But will someone PLEASE  tell LLP that there is a volume control knob, and level 11 is not appropriate  24/7 -in every single venue on the ship! You can't even have a normal conversation on the pool deck when that crap is constantly blaring. Seems like you have to escape to your cabin to get any peace and quiet.

Were she aboard and in charge of the volume at the time, sure thing!

bon voyage

• Haha 2

On 7/13/2019 at 8:38 PM, MISTER 67 said:

As I stated earlier they had 2 live bands playing all the great hits from the 50s and 60s every night in the Grand Foyer. They also had a great young solo guitarist named Sasha who played a lot of oldies for some of us oldies. She also on the last night did a Beatles concert in Celebrity Central, lot of sing along songs.

Hopefully, just hopefully they play something quite more updated/modern/current for our sailing on The Edge in November, otherwise I will not be happy in that respect....

bon voyage

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Our son, 22, has a friend with quite the collection.  Our son stayed with him and his girlfriend one weekend (they live a few hours away on the coast). They listened to many albums that weekend and our son came home a fan telling us about the awesome sound produced. 

I was telling him about this thread and he said it’s not techno, it’s EDM. Then he proceeded to have Alexa play both types of music for us so we could hear the difference.  He quite enjoys educating us old folks. 😂

If it is EDM, I Am all in for it.. I have it playing often in the car, home and on my phone.. Thank you Sirius!

I will have to load up my phone just in case... LOL

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 5

Just now I was asked by a colleague to 'turn down' the music as it was giving them a throbbing headache (as I dance around my office)! Guess it is back to Studio54 and/or Diplo for the rest of the afternoon here.... LOL

Of course I apologized and referred to this discussion as the reason I turned it up....

The OP made me do it...

bon voyage

• Haha 2

I do want to point out, for possibly being mis-understood, I do respect everyone's desires in music, rather I like it or not. There is plenty of music which I hear on X's ships which I particularly dis-like but understand there are those who do... I say go for it and appreciate it accordingly.

I do support those who believe they need to jump ship, as it were, because of the music choices aboard.

Believe me, music aboard would not be my factor for jumping ship, possibly a lack of, because I would be most willing to work with the CD and staff to get some of mine in from time to time...

bon voyage

54 minutes ago, wpgcycler said:

Neither. I'm saying that it's likely nowhere near as "horrible" or "ear-splitting" as claimed. As a lover of a wide variety of music genres I'm more than familiar with folks that have zero tolerance for anything even vaguely different from or slightly louder than what they're used to. Intolerance and exaggeration are their specialties. 

(for the record, I'm 61 - my preference is "alternative/Indie" music but I do enjoy EDM as well)

The only loud music I've ever heard on X, was a poolside party for Eclipse's 10 year anniversary, at night.  Current pop music like Lady Gaga.  In 2016 on Summit, the ship had quite a bit of 90's alternative, weird to hear Green Day in Blu one morning.  It must be difficult to place the right music at the right place, with so many people offended.

• Like 1

I'm the one who started the thread and thank everyone who has followed my thread, I really don't know what the name of the loud thumping music is, another passenger on the ship told me it's called Techno so I went with that, now some say it's EDM, that's fine because I don't care what it's called, all I know it's too frigging loud and annoying. We are booked on the Equinox again on 8.31.19 and if we have to listen to more of the same I will let my feelings be known to passenger services and the cruise director and will not sail with Celebrity again, we are perfectly happy saling with Princess and Holland America. We could probably live with EDM if it wasn't so damn loud, so loud that you can't have a normal conversation with fellow passengers without screaming at each other, there is no same reason on earth that music has to be played that loud.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

Do you expect cruise lines to age with you? or you go to other cruise lines as you age?

Why can’t people of all ages enjoy the same cruise?  Obviously I don’t think X tries to appeal to families with children because they don’t have the big water slides, etc. Beyond that, ships are huge. They should have plenty of space to have something for everyone. 

• Thanks 1

We   actually endured the very  loud repeated  loop of pre recorded music 

( not all techno but all awful) that was  played by X sev yrs ago  at the direction of Miami  on several  cruises. 

After many complaints by many cruisers  of all ages, and a number of  very negative Cruise Critic threads, it magically was phased out.  Thank goodness. 

It was truly torture..they played it  early am at the empty pool area, at Guest Rel,  in  the corridors and in  BLU during dinner ...Everywhere..   If that is back again, we are in trouble!

Those who choose to  deny it weren't  there!

Edited by hcat

22 minutes ago, hcat said:

It was truly torture..they played it  early am at the empty pool area, at Guest Rel,  in  the corridors and in  BLU during dinner ...Everywhere..   If that is back again, we are in trouble!

Those who choose to  deny it weren't  there!

I know what you mean! This seems to be the way of it with Celebrity. 

Phil 

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I know what you mean! This seems to be the way of it with Celebrity. 

Phil 

Great cruises but  bad music... First we heard it was on Silhouette.  Stepped onto the ship and were greeted with a loud DJ and bongo player...Welcome to the new  world of the Miami DJs..and the repeating loop...they only had one tape!

Reflection  was by far the worst.. Endless music loop and Miami DJs...very little live music,  We have been much happier recently...No need to recycle their flops!

The beat goes on....

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

Googled for sample of EDM...

Kill me now...

https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&p=EDM+MUSIC

The first sample..best of 2019 made my ears curl!

Time for me to visit another thread.,.sounding too much like a dress code thread!

We all bear our own cross - I despise a capella and steel drums.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I was telling him about this thread and he said it’s not techno, it’s EDM. Then he proceeded to have Alexa play both types of music for us so we could hear the difference.  He quite enjoys educating us old folks. 😂

Crank up the volume on your PC and see if you can survive this classic Josh Wink track all the way to the end. Can you really imagine real techno like this being played whilst people dine in Blu etc? It just wouldn't happen. Though watching the diners faces could be amusing! :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mynki said:

Crank up the volume on your PC and see if you can survive this classic Josh Wink track all the way to the end. Can you really imagine real techno like this being played whilst people dine in Blu etc? It just wouldn't happen. Though watching the diners faces could be amusing! 🙂

Doesn't belong in Blu (or any other dining venue) but I'd love to hear that in the Martini Bar or Sunset Bar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

Doesn't belong in Blu (or any other dining venue) but I'd love to hear that in the Martini Bar or Sunset Bar.

I would not mind it played at these bars even if it is not my favorite music.  Others enjoy it.  But does it have to be played so loud that one cannot even have a conversation?  Just turn the volume down.  Just a wee bit.  That simple thing would serve those that like the music as well I think.

• Like 1