San Juan advice needed

Hi, we leave in two weeks on the Freedom from San Juan. We were going to be staying at an Air BnB in Old San Juan but given the protests that are happening right now I decided to change that. We are now staying at the AC Hotel Condado.  The hotel looks nice and is close to the airport and the pier.  My hope is that we will still be able to go to Old San Juan in the afternoon on Saturday when we arrive by taking an uber or taxi over.  Anyone stay at this hotel? suggestions on things to do near by. Restaurants for dinner/breakfast? Bars? really anything.  My plans have all now changed. Thank you as always for your help and reading. 

1 hour ago, pezgirlroy said:

Hi, we leave in two weeks on the Freedom from San Juan. We were going to be staying at an Air BnB in Old San Juan but given the protests that are happening right now I decided to change that. We are now staying at the AC Hotel Condado.  The hotel looks nice and is close to the airport and the pier.  My hope is that we will still be able to go to Old San Juan in the afternoon on Saturday when we arrive by taking an uber or taxi over.  Anyone stay at this hotel? suggestions on things to do near by. Restaurants for dinner/breakfast? Bars? really anything.  My plans have all now changed. Thank you as always for your help and reading. 

Unless you were really close to the governor's home, I don't think there would have been many protesters near your area.  But you moved already, so can't go back now...

1 minute ago, alfaeric said:

Unless you were really close to the governor's home, I don't think there would have been many protesters near your area.  But you moved already, so can't go back now...

Just saw on FB that Majesty didn't dock today because of protests. Wonder if things are heating up?

5 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

I agree. Just looking now for suggestions in the Condado area.  

We stayed at AC Hotel San Juan post hurricane. It was nice. New. Modern. Staff was super nice. You can walk from the hotel to some nice restaurants. We enjoyed a Cuban restaurant (twice) that was fairly close. After the hurricane there were a lot of places closed. Some say it was economy driven BEFORE the hurricane but I could not say. At that time, even in Old San Juan quite a few of the shops that we had previously been to were closed or closing. Someone said that opening up Cuba had taken a lot of tourism away from San Juan. Not sure if that is accurate or not. We love San Juan and given the choice we always sail from there. We go in a few days early and usually stay at Condado Plaza Hilton or Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde. Those hotels were pretty damaged from the last hurricane which is why we stayed at AC Hotel. There are many places to enjoy without going into Old San Juan should there be problems. You're on vacation. Enjoy the sun and the beautiful sea. 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snorkel2 said:

We stayed at AC Hotel San Juan post hurricane. It was nice. New. Modern. Staff was super nice. You can walk from the hotel to some nice restaurants. We enjoyed a Cuban restaurant (twice) that was fairly close. After the hurricane there were a lot of places closed. Some say it was economy driven BEFORE the hurricane but I could not say. At that time, even in Old San Juan quite a few of the shops that we had previously been to were closed or closing. Someone said that opening up Cuba had taken a lot of tourism away from San Juan. Not sure if that is accurate or not. We love San Juan and given the choice we always sail from there. We go in a few days early and usually stay at Condado Plaza Hilton or Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde. Those hotels were pretty damaged from the last hurricane which is why we stayed at AC Hotel. There are many places to enjoy without going into Old San Juan should there be problems. You're on vacation. Enjoy the sun and the beautiful sea. 🙂

Thank you snorkel2. This has been a very stressful trip to plan. Leaving oldest child at sleepaway camp for the first time. Youngest being watched by my parents. We were supposed to go to Punta Cana but cancelled. And now this. Just really need this vacation to start. 🙂

We always plan a meal at DiZucchero when in Condado pre or post cruise.  Great Italian food, super service and just a nice atmosphere.  It's right on Ashford Ave so it's just a short stroll from your hotel.  Also, if you don't want to pack all your toiletries, etc., we find the Walgreens and CVS on Ashford to both be reasonable in price to pick up the essentials.  Have a fantastic time!

We stayed at the AC Hotel by Marriott for 2 nights a couple of months ago before a cruise.  It was a good choice.  Nice hotel with a nice rooftop pool/bar area.  LOTS of restaurant/bar options very close.  The hotel recommended Cayo Caribe, about a 2 block walk from the hotel.  Good place for dinner, although I enjoyed my Mofongo more in a restaurant in OSJ.  We had breakfast at a place called La Brasserie, which is next to Cayo Caribe.  Good Mallorca breakfast sandwich.  We took an Uber from the hotel to OSJ.  I think it was about $5.  Very easy.

You should also know that you will have privileges at the San Juan Marriott Resort.  You can use their pool/beach if you want to make the 2 block walk in the opposite direction of the restaurant.  There is a CVS, a Walgreens, and a Starbucks a short walk away as well, near the Marriott Resort. The CVS has food and alcohol in addition to typical pharmacy stuff.   

You'll be happy with the AC Hotel.  We stayed at La Concha resort for a night after our cruise and would definitely recommend it over the AC Hotel, but it's a much more expensive option. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pezgirlroy said:

We really liked the AC. You can use the facilities of the stellaris if you want more of a resort feel.

The place (that’s it’s name) across the road had good cheap eats and drinks. Very laid back and casual.

Pannes had excellent breakfast and excellent service. 100% recommend. 

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It’s too bad the actions of a couple thousand people are going to cost the island many  millions of dollars in much-needed revenue 

Two things- Tourism isn't the #1 industry, and what they are protesting over is some pretty crappy and corrupt things the governor may be doing- and if fixed, it would net many more millions over the long run than might be lost for a few days for tourists.

One should be allowed to protest their government if they feel wronged.  And this is the case here.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, alfaeric said:

Two things- Tourism isn't the #1 industry, and what they are protesting over is some pretty crappy and corrupt things the governor may be doing- and if fixed, it would net many more millions over the long run than might be lost for a few days for tourists.

One should be allowed to protest their government if they feel wronged.  And this is the case here.

I never said tourism was their #1 industry, but there is a right way and a wrong way to remove an elected official. 

This is not the right way, and it’s hurting many innocent people. 

I would love to here what the governor has done that would net “many more millions” if fixed,  evause I have certainly not heard of anything in the complaints of the people 

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I never said tourism was their #1 industry, but there is a right way and a wrong way to remove an elected official. 

This is not the right way, and it’s hurting many innocent people. 

I would love to here what the governor has done that would net “many more millions” if fixed,  evause I have certainly not heard of anything in the complaints of the people 

The other thing is that it's not going to cost even a million in lost spending- as that would mean 2000 passenger would spend $500 each on shore.  I don't see that happening.  We spent a week in San Juan and didn't spend $500.

I'll let the locals decide if they want to protest or not.  I think the harm done by the governor is more than the impact on a few innocent people right now.  It's their free right to protest.  They should be allowed to do so.  

Funny that you think that a few thousand tourists spend a million but the governor can't be corrupt in wasting a million.  Given the cost of recovery from Maria, it would be pretty easy to mess up a billion, let alone a million.

Edited by alfaeric
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

The other thing is that it's not going to cost even a million in lost spending- as that would mean 2000 passenger would spend $500 each on shore.  I don't see that happening.  We spent a week in San Juan and didn't spend $500.

I'll let the locals decide if they want to protest or not.  I think the harm done by the governor is more than the impact on a few innocent people right now.  It's their free right to protest.  They should be allowed to do so.  

Funny that you think that a few thousand tourists spend a million but the governor can't be corrupt in wasting a million.  Given the cost of recovery from Maria, it would be pretty easy to mess up a billion, let alone a million.

I think your being very short sighted, but that’s ok. There are scheduled to be over 12,000 cruisers stopping there in the next 3 days. There are people embarking on Freedom this Sunday (myself included) that are changing their flights and cancelling pre cruise hotel stays. 

Who brought up hurricane recovery corruption?

i never claimed the governor was or was not corrupt (frankly I don’t care), but in the USA we have a due process system to handle

these things, we don’t take to the streets in a mob. 

8 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I think your being very short sighted, but that’s ok. There are scheduled to be over 12,000 cruisers stopping there in the next 3 days. There are people embarking on Freedom this Sunday (myself included) that are changing their flights and cancelling pre cruise hotel stays. 

i never claimed the governor was or was not corrupt (frankly I don’t care), but in the USA we have a due process system to handle

Not to be rude or get political here but have we forgotten American history? The mainland USA has had their share of issues. 

I'm sure these incidents are stressful and frustrating for travellers but in the big scheme of things it is not the end of the world nor is it something that will ruin your entire trip.  Personally, I'm happy to adjust plans to feel safer or exercise caution while visiting places with political unrest worldwide. 

For the people protesting, I'm sure speaking out against the government corruption is more important than tourism dollars lost and the inconvenience of rescheduling flights. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pezgirlroy said:

We are on this cruise, too. I’m hoping the protests will be over by then.

Chocobar Cortes looks good, but it’s in Old San Juan.

13 hours ago, RG306 said:

Pannes had excellent breakfast and excellent service. 100% recommend. 

I forgot to mention Pannes in my reply.  Had lunch there after our cruise and fully agree with RG306's recommendation.  Huge sandwiches.

Frankly we stopped going to Condado area many years ago due to higher crime rate and crime during the day hours. We swithced to Isle Verde--- much more laid back.  When we fly home we take a late flight. This allows us to have lunch on the beach at one of the Verde Hotels.  Been doing this about 10 years now.  

11 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

For $1M, those 12,000 would each have to spend just about $100.  I'm sure I don't spend that kind of money in a port.  And money going to DI or any other international company does not count.  So how is that short sighted?   If you changed your hotel due to protests in Old San Juan- well, that's your money.  Let the people of Puerto Rico take care of their issues.

And you forget that Puerto Rico IS the USA.  People do get out and protest when they are angry- it's our civic duty to do that.  Don't be one of those people who think people should not be able to use their First Amendment rights to free assembly and free speech-- protesting is our right.

The recovery problems are back to your idea that $1M in lost tourism money matters.  It's not $1M, if it were, $1M does not stay on the island, and it pales in comparison to what the residents want and need.

Sorry about the tangent, OP.  From what I understand, Isla Verde is also a nice place to stay, but the tourist areas of the Condado or Isla Verde would make a good substitute for not staying in Old San Juan.  There are also the hotels next to the Convention Center (right next to the Pan Am port).  

15 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Saw a newsfeed that showed police and protestors clashing along Forteleza under the umbrellas.  Looked like later in the day but could have been the contrast/brightness of the phone camera. 

13 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

OMG! Who changed this into a political discourse?  Please understand that what is going on P.R. is local but it does affect the cruise ship tourism since they are in Old San Juan. They have spilled into the OSJ area and you must be aware and stay safe. As far as "WE" in the USA have "due process" remember P.R. IS USA even if they are on an island and not in the US proper.  And read your current events especially out West where there are mobs taking to the streets.  Back to what to do. Monitor the protests and how far they bleed into the Old San Juan area.  If you want to stay safe and don't want to venture out, eat in the hotel you are staying at.