Are all Medallions blue now?

Nee Nee and Biddy

13 minutes ago, Coral said:

It is important they figure out before they leave if their cruise is connected to their CC# or a new number because of benefits onboard. It will take longer onboard and then there will be a delay in Elite bar setup, etc... 

OP - contact whoever you booked through to make sure you have the correct CC# tied to this booking.

We've mistakenly received a blue card on a past trip & it made no difference in our perks. 

As soon as we got on the ship we received the correct color. 

The first time we received medallions everyone was blue. 

It's what's in the system that counts and not the color of the medallion. 

I have a ‘ stand out the way, I’m ELITE ‘ printed t shirt, so I’m not worried about the colour of my Medallion, saying that I can’t wear it on formal night, or can I.

Edited by antsp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

30 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

In the past, I've seen people compare this to first class on aircraft, but the big difference is that I know the people flying first class paid 3 or 4 times what I paid for the same flight.

Flawed analogy. I’m  “elite” on AA because I am a multi-million miler traveler. I purchase main cabin seats and usually get upgraded.

Travel status is more about number of miles flown or days sailed/number of cruises. 

27 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We've mistakenly received a blue card on a past trip & it made no difference in our perks. 

As soon as we got on the ship we received the correct color. 

The first time we received medallions everyone was blue. 

It's what's in the system that counts and not the color of the medallion. 

It is still worth checking to make sure there wasn't a mistake made in the booking. This could cause the wrong color medallion also.

When your face pops up on crewmembers' tablets, there is a color-coded circle at the picture's lower right corner showing what loyalty level the ship's computer thinks you are entitled to.  Passengers don't care.  Crew do and that's what they look at -- funny thing is they are more worried about Blues (who they need to convince to come back) than Blacks (who they figure are a captive audience).

You'll also see the circle (it's about 1/2 the size of your picture) next to your picture in your OceanReady app.

Edited by Haboob
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crzn-Life said:

Flawed analogy. I’m  “elite” on AA because I am a multi-million miler traveler. I purchase main cabin seats and usually get upgraded.

Travel status is more about number of miles flown or days sailed/number of cruises. 

I understand your point but I don't think AA spends the money creating first class cabins and the accompanying perks and staffing merely to reward coach frequent flyers.  I understand rewarding loyal customers by filling unsold premium seats but I don't think AA guarantees a first class seat for frequent flyers.

3 hours ago, Coral said:

It is still worth checking to make sure there wasn't a mistake made in the booking. This could cause the wrong color medallion also.

I wonder if they ever mistakenly give black medallions to first time cruisers....with all the perks that go along with it? ☺️

4 hours ago, Dani24 said:

Curious as to why exactly any other passenger would need (or care) to know what another person’s “status” is? Truly, NOBODY else cares.

Thank you! These conversations are so ridiculous. The OP is Elite and wants the correct medallion. I totally understand. People go all crazy about the idea that pulling your black card or now wearing your black medallion is somehow "flaunting" something, but in reality no one else cares, or at least they shouldn't. I truly believe for most passengers who have obtained Elite level status it is about just being recognized so they can get the benefits offered to them. If your are Elite you should have the black medallion - nothing wrong or ostentatious in asking for or expecting that. If someone else is offended by my black medallion hanging around my neck - they can look the other way!

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Thank you! These conversations are so ridiculous. The OP is Elite and wants the correct medallion. I totally understand. People go all crazy about the idea that pulling your black card or now wearing your black medallion is somehow "flaunting" something, but in reality no one else cares, or at least they shouldn't. I truly believe for most passengers who have obtained Elite level status it is about just being recognized so they can get the benefits offered to them. If your are Elite you should have the black medallion - nothing wrong or ostentatious in asking for or expecting that. If someone else is offended by my black medallion hanging around my neck - they can look the other way!

Princess , or any cruise line, could easily have different loyalty levels without differentiating between the levels by colors, or labels ... all that info would come up when your generic ( I like orange ) OM was scanned ..

that way no other cruisers will know if you are on your first cruise ... or have more than 15 or so

pull tabs ... can you even imagine ...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

I have always kept my cruise card in my pocket and will "probably" do the same with a medallion. If I get a clip (can't see wearing anything around my neck as I would find it really annoying) I don't think that would be "flaunting" anything. Some will wear the wrist band. I doubt I would do that as I already wear a watch and can't see having something on both wrists. Who knows, by the time I actually sail on a medallion cruise they may have changed things around again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

If I get a clip (can't see wearing anything around my neck as I would find it really annoying)

we got the generic fit bit clips from Amazon - 4 pack ... different colors ... make sure you get the package that has a "black clip" :classic_biggrin::classic_sad:

most of the time my lowly platinum OM ended up in the clip in my pocket after each time I had to take it off to have it scanned for something ... actually easier to keep up with on the clip if in pocket or on the desk, etc

The new OM in its rectangular holder fits nicely in my pocket.  Without the holder, it would be harder to hold and use and does not really take up that much room in my pocket anymore than the card did.  

5 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

The new OM in its rectangular holder fits nicely in my pocket.  Without the holder, it would be harder to hold and use and does not really take up that much room in my pocket anymore than the card did.  

That is almost certainly how I will eventually carry the thing. In the pocket seems easiest to me. My wife often doesn't have a pocket so will have to figure out how she wants to carry it. We don't have any medallion cruises booked at the moment. We have 2 more this year and 3 for next fall. Perhaps we will sneak in a spring cruise next year. If so, maybe it will be a medallion cruise. We certainly won't book anything just because it has the medallion though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Princess , or any cruise line, could easily have different loyalty levels without differentiating between the levels by colors, or labels ... all that info would come up when your generic ( I like orange ) OM was scanned ..

that way no other cruisers will know if you are on your first cruise ... or have more than 15 or so

pull tabs ... can you even imagine ...

Yes, and I would be fine with that. But Princess has chosen to use this color scheme to differentiate cruisers who have achieved different levels. They give you the black card, they put it on your door tag and now the medallion. Princess has chosen to make this distinction - not the passengers. When I am out and about on the ships I see all different colors when people are wearing their card, and now their medallion around their neck or on their wrist. I never give it a second thought - yet somehow, those with a hint of black showing anywhere - even to pull out your card to buy something in the store, get a drink, enter the wine tasting at no charge, or heaven forbid get directed to a priority tender are flaunting something. My point is that is just a silly premise - if there are a handful of people who seriously do try to show it off somehow, they are wasting their time because literally no one cares except to think how nice it will be when they have cruised enough to get those extra perks. It's not like an Olympic Medal or any other actual honor - it's just a loyalty designation that people have basically paid to get. 

• Like 3

My friends family went on Royal in May out of LA this year and they all got blue except for one of the kids, who got platinum, which is his status, but as a kid, he should have had blue.  They got all their correctly corresponding colors once they went to check in. 

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

That is almost certainly how I will eventually carry the thing. In the pocket seems easiest to me. My wife often doesn't have a pocket so will have to figure out how she wants to carry it. We don't have any medallion cruises booked at the moment. We have 2 more this year and 3 for next fall. Perhaps we will sneak in a spring cruise next year. If so, maybe it will be a medallion cruise. We certainly won't book anything just because it has the medallion though.

I keep it in a small clutch that I carry around.

7 hours ago, antsp said:

I have a ‘ stand out the way, I’m ELITE printed t shirt, so I’m not worried about the colour of my Medallion, saying that I can’t wear it on formal night, or can I.

Me Too!

Screenshot from 2019-07-19 18-25-20.png

Edited by CruiseVA
Better t-shirt
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, CruiseVA said:

The crew will know your status from the medallion transmitting your info to their devices. I'm sure that your photo, name, account & status show up.

Yup.  Loyalty shows as a colored circle about 1/2 as big as your picture itself.   You can even see it yourself in the OceanReady app.

One clarification... Your medallion only transmits a number, "876543" or whatever.  The ship's computer looks the number up to find the picture, etc, associated with that number.

4 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

I completely agree. It is all about the benefits and no one really is impressed or should they be.  

• Like 1