Buying liquor from Liberty of the seas store

bottom line is you need to know what you pay at home and then MAYBE .....

Last time I sailed Royal they had adopted Buffalo Trace as their signature bourbon and they had a very good price on that on board as compared to what I pay at home so I bought my limit.  That stuff is hard to get where I live ... which brings up an important point: I drive to the port so have no issues bringing the bottles home. If you are flying you have things to plan ahead . . . 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Capt_BJ said:

bottom line is you need to know what you pay at home and then MAYBE .....

Last time I sailed Royal they had adopted Buffalo Trace as their signature bourbon and they had a very good price on that on board as compared to what I pay at home so I bought my limit.  That stuff is hard to get where I live ... which brings up an important point: I drive to the port so have no issues bringing the bottles home. If you are flying you have things to plan ahead . . . 

Thanks! Driving to the port as well!

I do a Costco run before our cruise and take pictures of the prices of liquor we might be interested in buying and also put the latest circular from our local liquor store with my cruise documents so I can compare once I’m on board. In general, I found that the only worthwhile deals are on two-or three-bottle packages, especially for liqueurs, which we use for specialty coffees.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KelSny1011 said:

We only purchase Caribbean rum that we cannot purchase here in the states.  All other alcohol doesn't warrant the hassle of lugging it home (for us).

Agreed. We have found that prices are somewhat comparable in chain liquor stores but some liquors are not available in the states. As a Texan, we only brought back speciality tequila and Kahula from Cozumel. Price was right. Well worth waiting to have it.  Reporting your purchase is up to you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are from Canada so we always buy booze before we get off the ship...any ship...alcohol is very expensive in Canada. 

In my case I find the ship to be cheaper almost always, especially the 2 or 4 bottle deals they do. I will usually buy on the last day of the cruise and they give me my purchase in hand. That way we are not left waiting for them to deliver it.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, fdthird said:

Be sure to pay your Texas Liquor taxes.  

I paid once, now ignore people collecting money for Texas, you need to know your prices, we have gotten some good deals on liberty, some stuff is a good deal others not. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewSalt said:

I do a Costco run before our cruise and take pictures of the prices of liquor we might be interested in buying and also put the latest circular from our local liquor store with my cruise documents so I can compare once I’m on board. In general, I found that the only worthwhile deals are on two-or three-bottle packages, especially for liqueurs, which we use for specialty coffees.

Great idea!

17 minutes ago, George C said:

I paid once, now ignore people collecting money for Texas, you need to know your prices, we have gotten some good deals on liberty, some stuff is a good deal others not. 

Yeah, I think I read you have to pay like $3.75 per bottle if you claim it.  We've never brought any back so I've never noticed, do they stop random people and check?

4 hours ago, Julia429 said:

Yeah, I think I read you have to pay like $3.75 per bottle if you claim it.  We've never brought any back so I've never noticed, do they stop random people and check?

No. There will be someone there asking if you bought any cigarettes or alcohol.  Just say no and go right on by.  But don’t try to carry it through in that box they put it in. Put them in your suitcases.  There’s no searching.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, George C said:

I ignore them. We live in California and pay enough in taxes. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Julia429 said:

When we bought some whiskey and cigarettes on Liberty no one said anything to us.  We asked all kinds of questions because we aren't big drinkers and we were buy for friends... 
We found out the night before when they delivered it to our room.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SuiteLady said:

I got great deals on Tequila in Cozumel at the Tequila factory.... got high end Tequila for almost half off off what it costs here.

Is the tequila factory anywhere near Royal Caribbean port or Mr. Sanchos by chance? I was hoping to get some good tequila.

There are some items that sell out like Hennessy White and Sheridan's because they're unavailable in the US. Hennessy White is usually more expensive on the ship than in the duty free shops in port, but the ship will price match even after you bought it. Just take a picture with your phone.

1 hour ago, Sizzlechest said:

There are some items that sell out like Hennessy White and Sheridan's because they're unavailable in the US. Hennessy White is usually more expensive on the ship than in the duty free shops in port, but the ship will price match even after you bought it. Just take a picture with your phone.

That's great to know!  Thanks!