Observations from MSC Seaside Yacht Club

rattanchair

4 hours ago, rattanchair said:

Dear HJ,  I do recall, now, one incident.  I was quite constipated the first few days into my trip. My usual regiment of 2 prunes at breakfast was not working for me until I had a quite tasty spaghetti with calamari. It went right through me and alleviated my constipation entirely. I was fine the rest of the trip.

Inspector Montalbano is quite sure that the calamari writhes and struggles in his belly for about an hour until the stomach finally subdues it.  You must have the same digestion! :classic_laugh:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 6:31 AM, Two Wheels Only said:

I appreciate the effort but I have to work that week. Even if I was off, we usually visit family for the NOV/DEC holidays. 

Now, if I could convince the families to book a cruise for next year.....:classic_wink:

Dear TWO,  The Royal Suite 6/13/20 is open on Seaside. , at this moment.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:37 AM, rattanchair said:

Dear J,  Sorry, we have been on 3 cruises in the last 6 weeks on different cruise lines. The Haven NCL Breakaway   aft penthouse, Celebrity Equinox CS, and presently YC.  I have been giving my observations on each sailing and to tell the truth the food is one of the most important aspects. Food is often prepared in the same galley, though in one case Celebrity the Luminae had its own section within the same galley. We took the galley tour. We could choose from the MDR menu as well as Luminae. That being said, I shy away from making subjective remarks about food. I am just happy if I can digest it properly.

So, I have to ask...having done Celebrity, MSC YC, and NCL The Haven...which do you recommend? Which was your favorite? I have been thoroughly enjoying this review. I am wanting to do a fjords cruise and it seems like Celebrity and MSC have the best options. I would love to do a Viking, but as I have young children, that is not an option unless I leave them at home. 

38 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

So, I have to ask...having done Celebrity, MSC YC, and NCL The Haven...which do you recommend? Which was your favorite? I have been thoroughly enjoying this review. I am wanting to do a fjords cruise and it seems like Celebrity and MSC have the best options. I would love to do a Viking, but as I have young children, that is not an option unless I leave them at home. 

Sorry about this. I read the entirety of this thread and it seems you have already answered my question as you seem to love MSC YC.

As an aside, I have not been impressed with NCL either and my husband refuses to cruise with them now.  

• Like 1

Thank you all for your informative, amusing posts.  I particularly enjoyed the Bobby Burns quotes.  We arrived at the Robert Burns Birthplace Museum in Scotland, just in time to experience the sight of 24 bag pipers, rehearsing in a circle, in dense fog.  The outdoor rehearsal was so mournful and somber that it overshadowed the actual indoor concert.  That moment is brought back whenever I read his words.

I have been following the discussion regarding extending YC invitations to passengers sailing on the voyage who are not in YC.  Our January sailing has an active CC group.  The group is gathering for a  Room Crawl to give folks an opportunity to see the different stateroom options onboard The Davina.  I did not offer our room for viewing as I was not sure what MSC's policy is regarding visitors in the YC.  I'm still not sure that this type of gathering would be proper.

We bring our own umbrellas with us on land and cruise vacations.  They are easy to pack and weigh almost nothing.  Here is a link where you can purchase them on Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/Sport-Brella-Universal-Umbrella-Midnight-X-Large/dp/B07BHJH6D8/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=portable+beach+umbrella+uv+protection&qid=1565980682&s=gateway&sr=8-18

46 minutes ago, Nashna said:

I have been following the discussion regarding extending YC invitations to passengers sailing on the voyage who are not in YC.  Our January sailing has an active CC group.  The group is gathering for a  Room Crawl to give folks an opportunity to see the different stateroom options onboard The Davina.  I did not offer our room for viewing as I was not sure what MSC's policy is regarding visitors in the YC.  I'm still not sure that this type of gathering would be proper.

I would ask the YC Concierge when on board.  While I can see that this might disrupt the 'serene' atmosphere of the YC, they might instead view it as a terrific marketing opportunity to show off the 'family jewels.'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nashna said:

I particularly enjoyed the Bobby Burns quotes.

Dear N,  Heaven forbid any Scot reads you referred to Robert Burns as 'Bobby'.. I  referred to Mr.Burns as Robby, in my posts, miss-hearing a delightful Scot in the YC Top Sail Lounge recite to me her father's favorite lines in 'Holy Willie's Prayer' after I recited to her my favorite of 'Mice and Men'.  I was 'schooled', on this Cruise Critic board, that Mr. Burns is referred affectionately as Rabby Burns. 

I truly thank you for your kind words about my posts, they make my efforts all worthwhile.

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I would ask the YC Concierge when on board.  While I can see that this might disrupt the 'serene' atmosphere of the YC, they might instead view it as a terrific marketing opportunity to show off the 'family jewels.'

Dear HJ,  I love your description of the YC as 'family jewels'. Perfect!

P.S. We must have the same 'Muse'.

Edited by rattanchair
P.S.

5 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Dear Eli,  I have never been on a Viking excursion. But I think your parents and in-laws concur with me to leave the kids with them for as ever long as you and your husband can afford and take the trip!! My parents left us with our grandparents for up to a month every year and the five of us had the time of our lives.

Edited by rattanchair

3 hours ago, rattanchair said:

Dear HJ,  I love your description of the YC as 'family jewels'. Perfect!

P.S. We must have the same 'Muse'.

Thanks.  As to 'muse,' it's a toss-up between Burnsie [try that out in Scotland!] and Yogi.  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Nashna said:

I have been following the discussion regarding extending YC invitations to passengers sailing on the voyage who are not in YC.  Our January sailing has an active CC group.  The group is gathering for a  Room Crawl to give folks an opportunity to see the different stateroom options onboard The Davina.  I did not offer our room for viewing as I was not sure what MSC's policy is regarding visitors in the YC. 

We're planning to ask the Concierge for permission to show a couple of YC cabins on the cabin crawl on our sailing on Meraviglia in October.  One person has a cabin on deck 14, which is well away from the main public YC areas (ours is very close to the Concierge area, so may not be a go-er).  We'll be using that very argument that it would be an opportunity to 'showcase' YC to those who may want to consider booking it in the future.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 6:54 PM, rattanchair said:

I was not finished when this post was posted.  I feel this post boils down to ones definition of 'luxury'. We each have our own likes and dislikes, and if your 'friends' experienced the 'luxury' of the MSC Yacht Club, then 'we will just have to agree to disagree.

Hi Rattan

Somehow I missed this post. FWIW our friends who did MSc did not do it in YC...so I think that was the whole crux of it

Like you- we prefer the  to enjoy the luxuries 

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2019 at 7:43 PM, rattanchair said:

To all,  I  have another observation, that may be off base. We were on the Divina for Christmas and I remarked to DW that the security people checking passengers on and off both the Divina and Seaside this summer were speaking to each other in Hebrew. It did not dawn on me until we met Captain Massa this summer on Seaside at the CC meet and mingle, when one of us brought up the Achille Lauro . I was talking about the ship, the Captain was talking about the founder of Msc, that  Achille Lauro started out as a Captain. His name sake vessel was attacked by terrorists. I surmise that the owner and founder of MSC vowed to never let there be a repeat of what happened to any of his cruise ships again and has determined to hire the world's finest to protect his cruise fleet. Again, this is only an observation.

Golly I remember that and the international news.

I appreciate good security whether on ship or plane etc...

I am a "see something- say something" so unusual activity-- people not keyed/staying in YC would draw my attention and a report to the concierge

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

A parade of people/lookers is a disruption. 

YC can be seen online/youtube etc. 

I am not one of those that tours a house when at a home for a dinner party etc.  I realize there are those that say''"sure look around" etc.. It's just not our style

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rattanchair said:

Dear HJ, You are referring to that inimitable character Yogi Bear ???

I fondly remember him, 'smarter than your average bear.'  But no, I was referring to that inimitable philosopher Yogi Berra.  "You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there."

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

Golly I remember that and the international news.

I appreciate good security whether on ship or plane etc...

I am a "see something- say something" so unusual activity-- people not keyed/staying in YC would draw my attention and a report to the concierge

Dear FF,  When on the Divina Christmas 2018 the concierge desk had a number of cctv watching the YC 24hrs. I am sure all the YCs on all their ships have similar security.

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

A parade of people/lookers is a disruption. 

YC can be seen online/youtube etc. 

I am not one of those that tours a house when at a home for a dinner party etc.  I realize there are those that say''"sure look around" etc.. It's just not our style

MSC actually “parades” people through the YC as part of the “Behind the Scenes” tour. It’s always a bit bizarre but I make sure to look like I’m having THE time of my life in case I show up in someone’s vaycay photos.

When the second tour came through, I approached the EXTREMELY serious and bored security officer who was taking up the rear. I told him that I was perfectly fine with him tasering anyone who made a run for it in the YC. He was still laughing as he walked away....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I fondly remember him, 'smarter than your average bear.'  But no, I was referring to that inimitable philosopher Yogi Berra.  "You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there."

Dear HJ,  If I recall 50 years ago the creators of Yogi the Bear ,Hanna-Barbera, this  was their homage to Yogi Berra.